Non-JBL wiring diagram and/or adapter? - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

2006 Non-JBL wiring diagram and/or adapter?

[FONT=Arial]I have a 2006 Tundra 4x4 AccessCab, AM/FM/Cass/CD changer with an amp below the jump seat in a covered well.

HU is a Fujitsu Ten, pn 86120-0C060
Amp under right rear seat is Panasonic pn 86280-0C061
There are front and rear speakers and door tweeters
No HU controls on steering wheel

I ordered the following from Crutchfield
Kenwood KDC-HD458U
Axxess TYTO-01 Wiring Interface

The Axxess adapter does not fit the factory HU wiring harness. I called the techs at Crutchfield and they are trying, but no answers yet.

Does the collective knowledge of this forum know what I need to do to get the Kenwood HU working with the factory amp and speakers?

Thanks in advance
FactoryHarness.jpegRadio.jpegAmpPlugs.jpeg[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

Re: Non-JBL wiring diagram and/or adapter?

Quick google search made it look like the TYTO-01 is for the JBL system. Not the upgraded non-JBL. However, the plugs in picture 1 look a whole lot like the ones for my JBL system.

Can you post a picture of the back of your radio?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 04:17 PM

Did you get it working? I'm have the exact same issue. The TYTO-01 does not fit my factory harness. I have door tweeters and amp under rear passenger seat. Crutchfield is sending another but in the meantime I went to a local installer and he had the TYTO-01 and it fit. Took it home, wired everything up and nothing. I'm probably just going to make an appt. to have him put it in.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 10:44 PM
Rookie

So, my truck is a 2001 but I did just replace my stereo and go through something sort of similar. You have more cables at your HU than I did, probably for your tweeters, but your amp looks same as mine. In my, simpler, case the harness from the HU with the more, narrower blades ran to the amp, and the other connector with the fatter blades (at the amp) then went to the main vehicle harness and speakers and whatnot and was what matched my aftermarket adapter. I ditched both the HU and factory amp and all is well. For a while I thought i was stuck because I (thought I) had to connect to the "more, narrower" connector but going to the other side of the amp solved it. my "stock" connector on the HU was unused but probably would have been had I had the tweeters.

[My HU and amp happen to be listed on eBay so you can see photos of the back of the HU with the two connectors (skinny and fat) and the "to the vehicle harness" side of the amp: : ]Toyota 00 01 02 03 Tundra Camry Indash 16815 86120 0C030 Am FM CD Cassette | eBay
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 07:57 AM

Update. So I took the truck to a "professional" who used the TYTO-01 with the RCA plugs and I have no fade control. Also, the unit will only power on with the ignition in the ON position. Says my lead for the accessory in the factory harness was dead so that's why it's not working. I had installed a back up camera myself and all he had to do was plug in the RCA and that also does not work. I called him today and told him about all the issues and he gave a long list of excuses but ultimately agreed to address them. He said the back up camera had no power. I've not had the time to check if it does or not but at this point I just don't trust anything he says. He also said he had to run a wire to "activate" the back up camera to the kick panel??? I did not see that anywhere in the install guide. The unit switches to the camera when put in reverse but says no signal. Very frustrated.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member

Garage

Quote:
Says my lead for the accessory in the factory harness was dead so that's why it's not working.
Surely he checked to see if the fuse is blown. I would check yourself to see. If it is blown, do not take it back to this person and demand at least a partial refund. Not because he blew a fuse, but because he wasn't even competent enough to check a fuse. Hopefully he didn't screw something else up.

The TYTO-01 harness is advertised for the JBL system. If you dont' have a JBL system then that isn't the correct harness. This is the harness that worked for my non-JBL amplified system. Says '00 through '07 (mine is an '04): http://www.metraonline.com/part/70-8113 I only had the one 20-pin connector though. Not sure what those other two connectors are that you have.

2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 2WD 4.7LV8. Exterior mods: Bilstein 5100s all around, Wheelers Progressive AALs, Magnaflow 12256 muffler, 18" American Outlaw Apache wheels on 265/60 Michelins.

"He who asks a question may be a fool for five minutes, but he who does not remains a fool forever."
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member

Garage

Perhaps this will help someone: Attachment 246505

2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 2WD 4.7LV8. Exterior mods: Bilstein 5100s all around, Wheelers Progressive AALs, Magnaflow 12256 muffler, 18" American Outlaw Apache wheels on 265/60 Michelins.

"He who asks a question may be a fool for five minutes, but he who does not remains a fool forever."
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 06:09 PM

Thanks mossman for the info. He said he checked all the fuses. I bought the radio and harness from crutchfield. All they ask is if the truck has door tweeters, no mention of JBL. I do have a non JBL amplified 6 speaker system. After the first harness did not fit I called them and they sent another. In the meantime, I went to the "professional" and bought the same harness with the same part number but this one fit, however it did not power on. When the replacement arrived from crutchfield the plug fit but I've not tried it yet since I paid the "professional" to install the radio with his harness. In short, I've got three wire harnesses with the same part number from the same company that are all different. I'm taking the truck back over there Sat. but I'm not expecting much.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member

Garage

Oh man. What a nightmare. If you lived closer, I would wire everything up for you, and wouldn't need any harness. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 05:44 AM

Wish you were closer too. I'll post again tomorrow after he tears something else up. What kills me is when I bought the harness from him he tried to get in my heart by telling me I should have bought everything from him. Said he was just a local guy trying to make it and couldn't compete with big mail order companies. I can see why he's struggling to make it now.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 07:34 PM

I give up. After being cursed at today for complaining about his work I still have a half working system. He will not admit that it's the wrong harness. I have no fader or illumination control. The radio has an illumination lead in its harness, says so right on the wiring diagram. All he did was run the ACC lead to my power outlets. He cursed at me when I was showing him the install trim pieces were loose and should have been trimmed, per the instructions, to fit properly to which he said no **** dude, I do this for a living. I slammed the door and told him I couldn't tell he did it for living. I could have put the damn thing in wrong for free. To beat it all he kept saying my factory wiring was bad and that I had bought a cheap radio. I so wanted to throat punch this punk.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

Garage

What an a-hole. How does this character get any business? Sorry for your misfortune. Take your truck to a big box store and have them do it properly. Or study up on the subject and attempt it yourself.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 08:49 PM
Rookie

Sorry to this bring this thread back to life again but I am in the same position the OP (Wasilla) and rdturd were in. I have the same equipment as OP in a 05 AC and looking to upgrade the HU.

I can't seem to find an harness that will allow a new HU to utilize the exiting Amp/speaker set. Does one not exist? Is the only option to bypass the amp altogether?

I prefer to not cut the factory harnesses anywhere. Can the Amp harness m/w connectors (same as those in Amp) be found to bypass the Amp and utilize the Amplifier harness connectors to connect the 8 speaker signals from under the rear passenger seat?

TIA
elinks

Last edited by elinks59; 06-18-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page