How To: Early Tundra Brake Upgrade - Page 3

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: How To: Early Tundra Brake Upgrade

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: How To: Early Tundra Brake Upgrade

Great post and thread about the notorious early model Tunrda front brake wobble fix. My hat's off to the OP and the work that went into the PDF file. I printed it out and am planning the upgrade now.

I have not had much problem with mine until I recently moved into a hilly area. In the flats they were not really an issue.

One Q: Will this work on TRD's with factory ABS?

Update: Was PM'd that the brake upgrade works file with ABS brakes.
    Last edited by myardnut; 06-10-2009 at 01:55 PM.
    Original owner 4WD TRD 2000 Tundra Ltd, 150k miles.
    Improved 2005 front brake system and new rear brake struts. New diff seals in rear.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

I just updated my front brakes on my '00 Tundra following this method and they are working fine. No more wobble braking downhill at 45 MPH, which is where I had the most problem recently. I used the '05 calipers and all Raybestos parts (pads and new rotors). Took me about 4 hours total. I painted the calipers the night before, and it took me a while to bleed all the air out of the lines. I used a side grinder to cut the backing plates. I also used the grinder to cut off about 1/8" off the mounting bolts and used the originals. On mine at least, the original bolts did not stick out past the new caliper guides into where the rotors travel. I just shortened them enough so they did not stick out of the caliper housing.

The old brake lines fit exactly in place where the new calipers were mounted. No replacements were needed. Also, the new Raybestos pads came with a set of shims. Toyota wants like $50 for a set of shims. I talked to a manager at Napa and he says that all the new brake pads come with shim kits, and they no longer sell the shims separately.

I have the original factory fully loaded calipers and rotors if anyone wants them for the core charge plus shipping. PM me if interested.

And thanks again for the detailed upgrade description here, MEvang! That saved me a lot of time and trouble. And MONEY!
    Last edited by myardnut; 06-10-2009 at 02:12 PM.
    Improved 2005 front brake system and new rear brake struts. New diff seals in rear.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

MeVang is the man.

My dad and I did this over about 4 nights last week. Our motto: "We're big but we're slow." I figure it took us about 5 hours on the driver's side to set ourselves up, realize we didn't have the right tools, take the night off, go get the tools for the next day, wait overnight for the paint to dry, have another beer...

I bought Brembo rotors from Tirerack (2 delivered for $182) for an '04 Tundra and they fit fine.

Raybestos unloaded calipers from Napa (used their cross matching system and it found a perfect match). Don't remember the cost.

Napa brake pads; who knows if they're ready for track duty but the truck stopped on the way to the dump. Silent, no smoke.

I followed the instructions and bought the Toyota caliper bolts (8 of them, $6.52; I will have 4 rattling around forever in a drawer somewhere to keep the other 4 that we removed company), both brake lines, $13.72, and the shims, about $55.

MeVang, all of the numbers, details etc. were outstanding. We followed the instructions to the letter and were really impressed w/ how well you explained everything. The passenger side took an hour and 40 minutes but we didn't have to assemble the caliper. People who can do this in 2 hours both sides are full of kimchi or are Nascar employees.

We spent a long time bleeding the lines and the result is a firm pedal and clean fluid.

One point I'd make for someone doing this is that you may be able to save your brake lines if you use a flare nut wrench to remove them. Even w/ the salt in Maine they came off easily.

We learned late that it was way easier to install the new hard brake lines by moving the retaining clip for the rubber hose out of the way w/ a standard head screwdriver and a hammer. I'd recommend using the silver marker (again, smartest idea ever from MeVang) to note the location of the correct position of the hose as the steel fitting is indexed into the hanger. Took us 10 minutes the first time; 1 minute once we figured out that trick.

We used Vise-Grips on the rubber brake hose and protected the hose w/ cardboard. We didn't have any brake fluid leakage and it didn't compromise the hose.

A cut-off wheel worked easily on the steel brake cover thing whatever the hell it's called.

A clear piece of tubing for bleeding the lines was helpful as you could see air bubbles. Not sure the dimension of the tubing we had but it was clear polyethylene. Bring a new caliper to the tubing store and match it up w/ the nipple and you're good to go.

I was surprised how much larger the surface area on the new calipers was compared to the stock calipers.

Unfortunately, the brakes still shudder so this week we will hit the rear brakes. We tried the parking brake test at 35 mph and it sorta pulses but we were hoping the fronts would cure it. I was expecting a violent shudder but it was pretty much imperceptible. Plus, the previous owner had recently replaced the front struts and I'm not sure it has been aligned since. Regardless, it'll be nice to have gone through the brakes and put that behind us.

If anyone wants front calipers & rotors from an '02 give me a shout; no idea what the hell I'll do w/ them and I don't want to try to sneak them in as 'cores' back to Napa... The shoes even have a lot of life left on them.

In closing, this may be the best DIY post ever on the Internet. Nice job and thanks again.

Here are the dealership prices on parts for reference...

Caliper 442.93 each

Pads 76.19

Shim set 50.23

Brake lines 6.86 each

Caliper bolts 1.63 each

Rotor 109.00 each
    2012 Tundra 5.7 4WD double cab
    2010 Subaru Outback
    1986 CJ7 w/ Chevy 350

Liked
    0 times

You can list the calipers on this forum for sale. They are an upgrade for the 4-Runners. I sold the pair of mine here on TS for the core changes. I also sold the rotors for really cheap to a guy that re-used them, just to get rid of them. All recycled now!

I am working on my rear brakes now as well. As soon as I got the front brakes updated and working, the rear brakes started acting up. They made noises at low speeds, they wobbled some, and they were out of round. I put in the lower number toothed rear brake struts (star adjusters) per the TBS, and put on new brake shoes, as well as a new inner axle seal the driver side (there was a small diff oil leak). We shall see if they solve the problem. So far they are working good.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I am getting ready to use Mike's fix to finally solve the brake problems we have been having with my wife's '02 Sequoia for years. The only issues that we have had with the Sequoia have been brake problems. I hate to think about all the $$ we have dumped into the Sequoia over the past 3 years on brake pads, rotors and labor.

I am going to buy the parts gradually and have them ready when the most recent brake work fails. The parts list and all the comments on this topic are very helpful!!!

Q: I am having some problems finding Raybestos calipers and rotors locally. Wagner calipers, rotors and pads are readily available at several local parts stores. Are Wagner materials of comparable quality to Raybestos? If not Wagner (or Raybestos) then what other brands would be good quality?

I will post the results as I make the switch.
    thanks.

Leader of Group Evil DevinSixtySeven's Avatar
    Liked
    646 times
    Images

I should've done this sooner.

Mike, that's a helluva writeup! I need to take a look at the bolt-to-caliper clearance on my 00...there was no interference, but that doesn't mean it's not damn close. Thanks for the pointer!

The upgrade was easy, didn't take very long (I give it three or four hours total, including swapping the lugs while I was in there), and the results about put me through the windshield...I call it a success.

Half the upgrade on my truck happened well in advance of the parts actually being installed on my truck...a very good buddy had a spindle break, and we used mine for a get-home solution, and had to trim the backing plate on my early 1st-gen spindle to get his late 1st-gen caliper to fit...so half the hard work was already done when I installed the new calipers .

I just used diagonal cutters and took my time...maybe 15 minutes or so, to trim the shield, clean up the cut and hit it with some paint. A very painless mod, with excellent results!

Thanks again Mike for the writeup.

-Sean

GFX by FreedomEagle50
    1-Gen Tundra Offroad Technical FAQ Index
    Armor - Lift vs. Travel - Traction - Tire Fitment - Recovery - Lift Kits - Driving - Tires & Gears - CV Boot Mod
    Manual Hubs
    OB's cup size: 36DD

"some people will call you stupid but its worth a try because i know i also want one more inch."--SouthernTundraSC

Liked
    0 times

My brake upgrades (front and rear) are holding up great this winter. NO problems with braking what-so-ever. I go up and down Mt Hood every week (from 200 to 6,000 feet elevation), and no brake wobble.

Too bad Toyota never fixed this problem for us early model Tundra buyers. Serves them right to deal with all the denial and recall issues that they have now. The totalitarian regime at Toyota is finally forced to its knees... and its 'bout time.

Liked
    0 times

Trying to understand how this brake upgrade can increase braking force as well as keep the rotors from warping. As I understand it more heat will create more warping. So does the larger caliper/brake pad surface area reduce the braking pressure, and as a result, heat, on a given surface area of the rotor? Are the rotors different between 2000 and 2005? The parts I'm planning to get for this fix on my 2000 are:

-Brembo rotors from NAPA for a 2005 Tundra (the writeup wasn't clear if I should get same model year rotors as my truck or same as the caliper, I'm guessing same as caliper)
    -Rebuilt calipers from NAPA for a 2005 Tundra
    -NAPA Ultra Premium brake pads (ceramic)

Does that sound about right (i.e. I won't eat my new rotors, but should see fair or better than stock braking performance, with normal pad life)?

Also, when I'm looking for comparable calipers I see casting # 13WG and # 13WL. What's this about?
    Last edited by subzali; 05-24-2010 at 07:32 PM.
    Matt Miller
    Rising Sun 4x4 Club of Colorado

2000 Tundra Access Cab Limited TRD 2UZ-FE (115K)

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I will be doing an early brake upgrade on my Father-in-laws 2001 Tundra Limited. I spoke to the gentlemen from Frozen rotors and here are their recommendations: 1) Cryo slotted rotors for the 13WL calipers, which are the larger upgrade for his model year. 2) I ordered Raybestos reman. calipers from Rock Auto 3) They advised staying away from ceramic pads due to high heat, which will eventually warp/shorten rotor life. They recommended Hawk LTS ferro-metallic. Also a brake fluid with a high boiling/melting point. I will let you all know how it went. I am waiting for the parts to arrive.

Liked
    42 times

Mike.... Many thanks for the write up. I would have never attempted this without it. I have NEVER done any brake work before. Come to Los Angeles so I can buy you a beer!

Liked
    12 times

I am reading through the pdf guide and had a question about what caliper year parts will fit for this mod upgrade. On the bottom of page 2 in the pdf under "calipers" it says 2005-2006. On page 3 in the pdf under "The Parts List" it says 2003-2006. Does that mean not all of the 2003-2004's have the larger caliper? Or was there a typo? Could someone help clarify? Thanks.

Liked
    42 times

I order my loaded calipers from RockAuto on line. I ordered ones for a 2004. If you go to their web site and look at the 2001 vs. the 2004 calipers they are different. I would suspect that the 2004, 2005 & 2006 ones all share the same part number.

Liked
    3 times

I did this upgrade today. Followed the instructions and it went smooth. The only thing I will add is that I used the plastic plugs that were in the new calipers to plug the brake line so not much fluid came out. Those plugs fit right in the open brake line.

Thanks for the great instructions. Without them, I would not have done this.
    JT
    [SIZE=1]2002 SR5, Thunder Grey, Access Cab, 4.7, Off Road pkg, 4WD, Toyota Bedliner, Bed Extender, Limited Slip Diff, ABS
    Add Ons: Leer 700 Lid, Curt Front Mounted Receiver Hitch, WeatherTech Window Vents, WeatherTech Front Floor Liners, Cabela's Aux Back Up Lights, Hellwig Rear Anti Sway Bar, Skid Row Front Skid Plate, Fumoto Valve

Liked
    0 times

Thank god I found this site, I have an 01 Ivan Stewart edition tundra 4x4 and for past decade I have had the same brake issues the entire time. don't even want to think about how much money I spent on those POS. That forum with that pdf saved the day for me. Now you would think a 11 year old truck time for a new 1, and the breaks would be the last concern, knock on wood I have 155000 Miles on it and still this day zero mechanical Failure of any kind. Just regular maintenance. So thank you again for that information it is invaluable. Thanks again

Liked
    0 times

I did the brake caliper upgrade on my 2000 toyota tundra , but still have a vibration in the front. I replaced the front rotors with cross drilled ones, also new pads ( not dealer ones ) . I also replaced the rear wheel brake cylinders recently. It still seems like the brake pedal is a little spongy. I bled it several times.
    Is it possible the master cylinder needs to be replaced ?
    A quick note, rear shoes are new, and adjusted correctly.
    Any Professional advise would be helpful.
    Thanks
    Lamb
    Cruise it slow.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast