How To: Early Tundra Brake Upgrade

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: How To: Early Tundra Brake Upgrade

Liked
    11 times

Default How To: Early Tundra Brake Upgrade

This has been a long time comming but here it is. Detailed instructions on how to do the early Tundra brake upgrade and save money.
    Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files
    MetroMan, Tones, BamZipPow and 2 others like this.
    “The significant problems we have cannot be solved at the same level of thinking with which we created them” (Albert Einstein)
    Moderator Brake Forum

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    7 times

Default Re: How To: Early Tundra Barek Upgrade

Wow! Excellent write up that a lot of people will benefit from. Looks like you put a lot of work into that too.

Paul
    Completed Mods:
    S&S long tube headers
    Brembo rotors
    TSB caliper upgrade
    Hawk LTS brake pads
    Stainless steel braided brake lines
    Total Chaos steering rack bushings
    Alignment to DJ's specs
    Century cap
    Line-X
    XM satellite radio module (connected to Pioneer head unit)
    Instrument cluster LED upgrade

Future Mods:
    Rearview camera system
    BA Muffler (on order)
    Sound deadener
    Fusion Drive
    Flux Capacitor Control Unit (FCCU)

Liked
    3 times

Default Re: How To: Early Tundra Brake Upgrade

Nice and just in time (I am slowly assembling all of the parts to do this)!

Liked
    1 times

Very nice... The TSB was performed on mine years ago but there's still tons of useful info in your document. Thanks!
    2001 Silver Sky Metallic 4x2 SR5 V8 Access Cab TRD | JBA Titanium Ceramic Coated Headers | Ivan Stewart Aero Kit | Ivan Stewart Graphics and Plaque | ABS | Auto Dimming Temp/Compass Mirror | Toyota Chrome Tube Steps | Toyota UTR Bed Liner | Hidden Hitch receiver w/ DrawTite Wiring | Toyota VIP 3000 Security System | TRD Floor Mats | Alpine CDA-9811 HU | Sirius Sportster Satellite Radio | Polk Audio DB6500 Components (Front) | Polk Audio DB675 Coaxials (Rear) | Alpine MRP-F450 Amp. | JL Audio Stealthbox | JL Audio 250/1 Amp. | Total Chaos Steering Rack Bushings | Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar w/ Greaseable Bushing Mod | Daystar Front Urethane Bushing Kit w/ Greaseable Bushing Mod | Optima 34R Battery | Russell Stainless Steel Brake Lines | Brembo rotors | OSRAM SilverStar Headlights | Sylvania SilverStar Fog Lights | 5 Michelin LTX M/S Tires and Extra Alloy Wheel for 5 Wheel Rotation | Wheel and Spare Tire Locks | Synthetic Fluids

DMT
    Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

If this is just a TSB then the dealer does not have to replace the brakes? Question is my buddy who bought a 2001 had a brake vibration and the dealer could never find it/repair it so it was left as is for years. There is no way he can go back and have this fixed by the dealer now is there? I'm sure he has the paperwork showing he brough the truck in to no avail.

Liked
    11 times

The TSB are there to help assist a dealer in repairing your problems. Unlike like a recall where a certain part or repair must be done for safety's sake a TSB usually explains a known fix for a common problem.
    Toyota is obligated to repair the this brake issue for 3 year or 36000 miles. If your buddy's problems occurred in this time/milage frame and the upgrade was never performed he could have a case to go back to Toyota and pressure them to repair it.
    Some on this forum have had the dealer do this repair way out of warranty. Maybe one of them will see this and can explain how they pulled this off.
    Mike
    “The significant problems we have cannot be solved at the same level of thinking with which we created them” (Albert Einstein)
    Moderator Brake Forum

jgw
    Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Got a question, I did this upgrade a month ago with Raybestos Rotors, Calipers, Pads. Raybestos said i didn't need shims. Should I have purchased some shims from toyota?

Liked
    11 times

I would use the Toyota shims.
    Mike
    Moderator Brake Forum

jgw
    Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Mike,

Thanks, I'll go purchase the Shims and install.

jim

Liked
    1 times

Does the lug nut torque very with the type of wheel (alloy vs. std. steel)? I have the 17" alloy rims. In the past on other vehicles that I have owned, I have noticed that their service manuals would state different torque specs for steel vs. allow wheels.
    Maxtorqe
    2003 Tundra Access Cab SR5 V8 4X4
    No real mods just:
    NGK IX Iridium Spark Plugs
    Michelin LTX/MS2 - 265/70 R17s
    Bilstein HD shocks (non TRD)
    Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar
    10 Years - 160,000 miles and counting...

2013 Highlander 4WD Limited V6
    (The wife's ride, but I do admit to liking it too.)

Liked
    11 times

I would use the factory torque unless otherwise stated by the wheel manufacture. The torque value has more to do with the stretch on the studs then wheel itself.
    Mike
    Moderator Brake Forum

Liked
    0 times

I have a couple questions...
    (1) I have a 2005 4x4 D-Cab that I want to swap out the rear drums for disk. Is there any guidance available for doing this?
    (2) I'm currently using 1" spacers on my wheels and hope to at some point soon, buy new wheels with the appropriate offset. What obstacles should I be considering before I do the above in order to make the wheel buying process smoother?

Thanks!

Jim Naeve
    Murphy, TX

Liked
    11 times

My opinion is for the cost involved and the problems this can create there is simply few advantages to doing this. If your still interested, look through the brake forum or do a search there are many threads on this. Feel free to chime in on one if you have more questions.
    Mike
    Moderator Brake Forum

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I am currently getting ready to update a 2002 Tundra brake system. I get the caliper update. Should be quick fix there. I am interested in any additional updates that would be beneficial. I do not want to throw money at it. I want to do updates that will be cost effective and really help solve the problem. Does anyone know about a possible vacuum booster interchange? How about rear wheel cylinders? I would appreciate any professional or tried and true input. Thanks guys!!

Liked
    11 times

The only other brake upgrade authorized but the manufacture is a heavier rear brake drum. Toyota brake drums 42431-34021 have more mass and are less resistance to warping then the early drums.
    Mike
    Moderator Brake Forum

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast