Cost of brake service

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of brake service

Liked
    0 times

Default Cost of brake service

Dealer says my brakes need serviced. $208.80 for new front pads and turn rotors. $50.25 for rear brake service. Does this price sound about right? I've got almost 50k mileage on my Tundra. Brakes work fine, just a bit soft.

Moderators Note: The thread "Cost of brake service" has been moved to the Handling, Suspension & Brakes Forum for better exposure and replies. PM was sent to the thread starter of its relocation. --- Possum

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default brakes

if the brakes feel soft, bleed or flush your lines. $10 of fresh fluid is probably all you need. you can check your pads' wear yourself to see if you really need to replace them.

$200 seems steep. $50 for the rear labor sounds good.

Liked
    1 times

$200 sounds very high to me! I'm at 46k and I just replaced my front pads and turned the rotors 3 days ago. My pads were paper thin at that mileage. The wear indicators had been rubbing for about a month. My dad has his own shop, so turning the rotors didn't cost anything, but that shouldn't be more than $15 each. The new Toyota pads cost me $37, which was my dad's cost. Double the cost of the pads to $70 and add $40 for turning the rotors. That's a good bit of profit and still leaves $100 for labor. This should take an experienced guy all of an hour to do. $100/hour labor rate is pretty high!

Make sure whoever you called knows that all you do is take the tire and caliper off to get the rotors off. Some older Toyota trucks required you to disassemble the axle.

Greg

Liked
    0 times

It cost me 50 bucks for the pads from Carson, and 50 to have them installed at Tirepros. They also turned the rotors.

Liked
    1 times

$26 bucks for pads. I put them on. So, that is all it ran me. Runs great now.

Liked
    0 times

Default Thanks for all the info....very helpful

I thought that was a bit high for brakes (especially just pads and turning the rotors). I getting them to do it for $120 front and $50 on the back. I normally would have someone else do the work but I figure since the Tundra has some know brake problems, it's best to go with the OEM and the toyota dealer mechanics. Hope I'm not wrong...

Liked
    0 times

Angry TSB cost w/o warranty

If you have brake shutter, I suggest you have the dealer do an inspection of the brake system. I replaced my own pads and had the rotor turned 10K ago for about $50 (the shope didn't charge for the rotor to be turned). Now I am out of the warranty period and need the TSB replacement of the whole front brake system (including bearings). The dealer said they would pay half of the parts ($1370) and none of the labor ($456) for the TSB. Therefore, my total estimated cost will be $1,141!! I think I could pay full price for an after market set of cross drilled rotors and better calipers. Any suggestions?

Liked
    0 times

Default Nothin' . . .

I've had THREE complete brake jobs and they haven't cost me anything. All were done under the Brake TSB, and the last one, (According to the dealer copy I saw.), would have cost me $2,500.00!

So far, so good. All new brakes all around including the new calipers, etc. and I hope the next brake job I'll be doing myself just to replace pads, turn rotors, etc., but with a lot more miles on my truck!

Frank

Liked
    0 times

Alright everyone I need your help. First, what is TSB? I have a 2002 w/ 25000 miles on it. I bought it used nad since the day I bought it, the brakes vibrated when I stop. I am bringing it in when I get home and would like some"ammunition" before I talk to the dealer.
    Work hard for 14. Play hard for 14. Just another offshore junkie.

2006 Phantom Gray Pearl SR5 2WD w/ 17" Rims
    MODS: Westin Chrome Nerf Bars, Full Front Clear Paint Protection, Custom 2 Tone Leather Gray Seats, LED Door Lights, XENON Interior Lights, XENON Headlights, Foglights, Cargo Lights, & Reverse Lights; Hard Wired Radar Detector, Eclipse CD Player, Focal PolyGlass 6 1/2" rear speakers, 6 1/2" Polk Momo Components in Front, Eclipse EA4000 amplifier on highs, 2 Diamond Audio DS3 8" 2ohm Dual Voice Coils in Custom Fiber Box under back seat hooked to a Eclipse XA1000 Class D amp at 1 ohm = 1000 watts (250 per voice coil), Debadged, LImo Tinted WIndows & Eye Brow, In-Channel Vent Shades

Liked
    0 times

Originally posted by southrnplayr
    Alright everyone I need your help. First, what is TSB? I have a 2002 w/ 25000 miles on it. I bought it used nad since the day I bought it, the brakes vibrated when I stop. I am bringing it in when I get home and would like some"ammunition" before I talk to the dealer.
    "TSB" stands for Toyota Service Bulletine. It's kinda' like a recall, but not exactly.

On a recall they have to notify everyone of the problem and fix it, while with a TSB they don't tell a single sole unless that person brings the problem to their attention and then don't necessarily have to fix it!

Frank

Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the info on TSBs. I went to it and hopefully my dealer will honor it. Luckily I have 3 dealers within 25 miles of my house.

Has anyone's dealer failed to honor the TSB for brake vibration?

Greg
    Work hard for 14. Play hard for 14. Just another offshore junkie.

2006 Phantom Gray Pearl SR5 2WD w/ 17" Rims
    MODS: Westin Chrome Nerf Bars, Full Front Clear Paint Protection, Custom 2 Tone Leather Gray Seats, LED Door Lights, XENON Interior Lights, XENON Headlights, Foglights, Cargo Lights, & Reverse Lights; Hard Wired Radar Detector, Eclipse CD Player, Focal PolyGlass 6 1/2" rear speakers, 6 1/2" Polk Momo Components in Front, Eclipse EA4000 amplifier on highs, 2 Diamond Audio DS3 8" 2ohm Dual Voice Coils in Custom Fiber Box under back seat hooked to a Eclipse XA1000 Class D amp at 1 ohm = 1000 watts (250 per voice coil), Debadged, LImo Tinted WIndows & Eye Brow, In-Channel Vent Shades

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thumbs up Re: Cost of brake service

Diablo,
    I just bought a used 2002 Tundra and I had the front end aligned. The shop told me i'd be needing front brakes pretty soon. I was thinking of doing the job myself. Do ya' have any special advice before I jump on this project? I've changed brakes on several Dodge vehicles before but never a Toyota.

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Cost of brake service

Quote Originally Posted by ibleedblue
    $200 sounds very high to me! I'm at 46k and I just replaced my front pads and turned the rotors 3 days ago. My pads were paper thin at that mileage. The wear indicators had been rubbing for about a month. My dad has his own shop, so turning the rotors didn't cost anything, but that shouldn't be more than $15 each. The new Toyota pads cost me $37, which was my dad's cost. Double the cost of the pads to $70 and add $40 for turning the rotors. That's a good bit of profit and still leaves $100 for labor. This should take an experienced guy all of an hour to do. $100/hour labor rate is pretty high!
    Greg
    I think that quoting prices can vary alot depending on what part of the country you live.The pins that hold the pads in place may pull right out in the south west,but frequently require cutting,hammering,and/or an air hammer to remove them here in Maine.From the way I see it,$200 is reasonable.When there is only +- $30.00 difference,or even $100 difference for regional,economical,and evironmental (i.e. rust) variances around the country,the difference is insignficant.Now if the post said the quote was for $500 or $600,there is gouging going on.I once read a survey done by ASE that compared labor rates around the country,and found the high rates in affluent areas to be over $100 per hour,and the lowest were in rural Missouri at $35-40 per hour.This was about 5 years ago.Since your father owns a shop,you probably know how much of that profit goes toward just keeping the business in existance.
    A parts man with a code reader is NOT your friend!

Liked
    24 times

Quote Originally Posted by fishinsmitty
    Diablo,
    I just bought a used 2002 Tundra and I had the front end aligned. The shop told me i'd be needing front brakes pretty soon. I was thinking of doing the job myself. Do ya' have any special advice before I jump on this project? I've changed brakes on several Dodge vehicles before but never a Toyota.
    Fishinsmitty, I just replaced the pads and had the rotors turned and it's the easiest brake job I've ever done.
    If all your doing is replacing the pads, than you just have to remove a spring, slide out the old and slide in the new. If you need to turn the rotors, than just remove 2 bolts from the caliper, pound the rotor with a rubber malet and they come right off.
    Still amazes me how much toyota is charging to work on this system. It's crazy!

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Hi all,
    I'm new here, and brakes are why I joined this forum.

From my perspective, $209 for the front brake work isn't terrible. My Toyota dealer just offered to do the same front brake work on my 2003 Tundra for $340! I was flabbergasted. The parts were about $60. I told him to forget it. However, if he had told me $209, I still would have been hesitant. I've had pads replaced/rotors turned on other vehicles for less than $150. Of course, that was 4 or more years ago.

BB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast