HELP Tundra caliper piston overextended??

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: HELP Tundra caliper piston overextended??

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Default HELP Tundra caliper piston overextended??

I am trying to replace the front pads & rotors on a 2006 Tundra DC. As I was pushing in the pistons on one side of the caliper one of the pistons on the other side extended. I have opened the drain screw & I am trying to push in that piston with a c clamp BUT it does not seam to want to go back in. It there a max distance that the piston can move out & did I screw some thing up by letting that piston over extend

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

DJ
    Supporter
    Liked
    453 times

Default Re: HELP Tundra caliper piston overextended??

I did much the same replacing pads on the front of my wife's '01 Sequoia.

The piston was not overextended, it only seemed like it was. The problem was that it has to be pushed uniformly back into the caliper and that can't be done unless you can push uniformly on the face of the piston. When it's up against the surface of the disk, there's no way to get at it.

The cure was to remove the whole caliper assembly from the spindle (two bolts for the caliper plus one for the attachment of the flexible brake line). This let me get access to the face of the piston. I simply pressed on its face with both thumbs, wiggling it a bit as I did so, and it slid smoothly back into the caliper.

After a couple of hours of gnashing my teeth, it took five minutes to fix. Go thou and try likewise.

[Amended to add:]

That might not be quite clear enough. I didn't disconnect the brake line from the caliper, I simply disconnected the clamp which holds the brake line to the spindle. I suspended the caliper from the spring with a piece of string so I didn't put any strain on the brake line and could use two hands on the piston. It worked like a charm.
    Last edited by DJ; 07-12-2009 at 06:20 PM.

Liked
    366 times
    Images

I had the SAME problem and frustration when swapping out my pads a few weeks ago. Luckily I was able to get a small flathead screwdriver wedged under it and while draining some fluid I was able to get another flathead on the opposite side. Pressed them both down a little bit until I could get the first flathead all the way across, then leaned on it and pressed the piston in completely. Got it done without throwing anything too! lol

This was my first brake pad change on the Tundra, so live and learn for next time.
    New to the forum? CLICK HERE!
    Questions about advertising? CLICK HERE!

Know the facts about Warranties and the Magnuson-Moss Act.

Link to Amsoil -->

Be an organ & tissue donor, register at DonateLife

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

The piston was not overextended. it must of been slightly crooked & was stuck. Originally I was tring to push it in with the caliper installed & I must of pushed it in un evenly & it got stuck. I removed the caliper & was able to wiggled it slightly & it freed up. Thanks for the help

Liked
    585 times

'C' Clamp. Works wonders.
    I use and talk about, but don't sell Amsoil.

2006 Tundra replaced a
    98 Dakota 3.9 automatic, long bed.
    Retired with broken A/C, July 2008.
    623,000 miles.
    On original engine and transmission.

+Everybody knows something you don't know.
    +Truth does not need to be 'balanced' and it ain't caused by voting or consensus or polls or yelling louder or silencing someone.
    +Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.