emergency brake light switch

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: emergency brake light switch

Liked
    0 times

Default emergency brake light switch

Now, let me begin by saying that this is a Camry problem, but I'm hoping someone out there can help me. The emergency brake light on my son's '93 Camry now stays on all the time. I replaced the switch, but it still stays on. The dealer said that it could be caused by low brake fluid--the fluid is where it is supposed to be. Then they said that it could be worn pads. Neither the pads nor the rear shoes are worn very much at all. Any ideas where to look next? (The dealer couldn't even tell me precisely how the switch works. There is a single lead going to it). Thanks. PR

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

I am assuming that it's the "Brake System Warning Light", that is on. On most, if not all, Toyota vehicles this light will come on if the Parking Brake is applied or if the Brake fluid level in the master cylinder is low. There is a float switch built into the cap on the brake fluid reservoir that will turn the light on if the fluid level drops. These switches are generally very sensitive, in other words the light may come on even if the fluid level is within the normal range, but not actually full.

You say that the light is on all the time, did this come on suddenly or did it initially come on only when the brakes were applied? As the pads and shoes wear the fluid level naturally drops slightly, this can be enough to trip the float switch and turn on the light.

Hope this helps,
    Rod

Liked
    0 times

The float in the resvoir is prbably stuck, happens quite often, suck the brake fluid out and clean the float with some brake clean, then refill, you'll be good as new. Don't over do it with the brake clean though or you could damage some seals.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by rsvees
    The float in the resvoir is prbably stuck, happens quite often, suck the brake fluid out and clean the float with some brake clean, then refill, you'll be good as new. Don't over do it with the brake clean though or you could damage some seals.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot. PR