Brake squeal only in reverse

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brake squeal only in reverse

Liked
    0 times

Question Brake squeal only in reverse

I started getting a squeal only when backing up and applying the brakes about 2 weeks ago. I thought I had just gotten to the indicators, so I bought some pads and started to change them just now. When I pulled the wheels, I could see that I've still got about ¼" even on the thinnest pad and the indicators aren't even close. Any ideas on what the reverse only squeal might be? TIA.
    White 2000 SR5 4x2 Tundra
    22x9.5 ADR Magnus wrapped in Toyo Proxes S/T 305/40/22, S&S long tube headers & Y-pipe, R.A.P.S., Trenz grill, clear corners, X-Pel Clear Bra, HID Conversion Kit, 55W auxiliary reverse lights, Sir Michaels roll pan w/ hidden hitch, EuroTails, DeBadged, Granite dash kit, IS color keyed bumper, fender flares & mirror covers, Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar, CST leather interior, sound deadener all 4 doors, rear wall and floor pans, Nu-image guage cluster & A/C panel, blue split loom, PPD billet TB cover and fuse box cover, painted calipers & drums, dropped the rear 2" w/Belltech 6400, Color-keyed body side molding, Alpine H/U, Archos 20GB Jukebox Multimedia wired to H/U, JBL 1200.1 pushing 2 RE XXX 10s in a custom console box, RF 551X pushing Diamond Audio M561 comps in the doors and Alpine SPR-175 comps in the kicks, and JL Audios in rear straight from the H/U

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Funny that you should mention a brake problem while in reverse. I just picked up a 'clunk' sound, only while reversing and applying the brakes. I can't figure it out, but it happens everytime. It sounds like its coming from the driver's side front.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default It's just a Toyota Thing

My Tundra does it cold, when reversing, and so does my wife's solara. I thought the pads needed replaced, but when I pulled the solara's wheel off, I had at least 70% pad. I just deal with it, because it doesn't do it forward, and goes away after driving for only a couple of minutes. Doesn't hurt anything.
    2006 Tundra DC, 80K, K&N Drop-in, Spintech Truck/RV Muffler, BedRug, Bilstein 5100s, VSE Sub
    Previously 2000 Tundra, 94K, K&N Drop-in, Spintech Truck/RV Muffler, Hellwig, Bilstein 5100s, 2005 Sequoia Center Console Installed and looking awesome! - TOTALLED
    1999 UZJ100 Land Cruiser, 225K, new carpet, no major Mods planned; it's the wifeys
    1987 FJ60 Land Cruiser, 209K, K&N Drop-in, Jacobs Ignition, Jacobs Wires, Dynomax Muffler and Hi-Flow Cat, Electric Fuel Pump Conversion, Rebuilt Carb, Rebuilt Combination Manifold, SS EGR Tube, Someday...A Lift

Proud Member of the CBTMA

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Matador98
    My Tundra does it cold, when reversing, and so does my wife's solara. I thought the pads needed replaced, but when I pulled the solara's wheel off, I had at least 70% pad. I just deal with it, because it doesn't do it forward, and goes away after driving for only a couple of minutes. Doesn't hurt anything.
    Weird though, that mine just started doing it after 4 years. Oh well, if it's not hurting anything mechanically and doesn't affect performance... :shrug:

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Law
    Funny that you should mention a brake problem while in reverse. I just picked up a 'clunk' sound, only while reversing and applying the brakes. I can't figure it out, but it happens everytime. It sounds like its coming from the driver's side front.
    JL,
    There's a TSB that adresses this to some degree here:

BR004-00

It starts out like this:
    "A clicking type noise may be noticed when first applying the brakes after changing vehicle travel direction ( Drive/Forward to Reverse, Reverse to Drive/Forward). This is a normal noise caused by the required brake pad–to–caliper clearances. When the direction of travel is changed, the brake pads may “shift” towards the new direction of travel. When the brake pad contacts the caliper, a clicking noise may be heard.
    To minimize this clicking noise, a disc brake caliper grease has been made available for use during brake service/maintenance operations. Under normal usage conditions this grease should be effective for a period of 6 months to 1 year."
    22x9.5 ADR Magnus wrapped in Toyo Proxes S/T 305/40/22, S&S long tube headers & Y-pipe, R.A.P.S., Trenz grill, clear corners, X-Pel Clear Bra, HID Conversion Kit, 55W auxiliary reverse lights, Sir Michaels roll pan w/ hidden hitch, EuroTails, DeBadged, Granite dash kit, IS color keyed bumper, fender flares & mirror covers, Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar, CST leather interior, sound deadener all 4 doors, rear wall and floor pans, Nu-image guage cluster & A/C panel, blue split loom, PPD billet TB cover and fuse box cover, painted calipers & drums, dropped the rear 2" w/Belltech 6400, Color-keyed body side molding, Alpine H/U, Archos 20GB Jukebox Multimedia wired to H/U, JBL 1200.1 pushing 2 RE XXX 10s in a custom console box, RF 551X pushing Diamond Audio M561 comps in the doors and Alpine SPR-175 comps in the kicks, and JL Audios in rear straight from the H/U

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTundra
    JL,
    There's a TSB that adresses this to some degree here:
    BR004-00
    Thank You Sir!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Brake squeal only in reverse for 2000 Tundra

I don't think this is related to BR004-00. This squeal is very high pitched and very LOUD! I bought a 2000 tundra from the dealer a month ago so I don't know the whole history of the truck. The dealer told me 2 times that the squeal was normal. I took the truck to another certified toyota mechanic that found the problem to be the driver's side front brake. He said the pad was really hard for some reason. He turned the rotors and put on new brakes and brakes were great for 2 weeks then it started getting bad again. I wonder if this is a new problem related to age. Anyone have additional info on this?

Liked
    0 times

BUMP.

Anyone else experience this or have any ideas?

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Nope, I still believe it is just a quirk. I've checked pads and rotor and nothing is hurt. Even my cruiser does it sometimes, and I have changed the pad and turned the rotors several times. It's 17 years old.
    2006 Tundra DC, 80K, K&N Drop-in, Spintech Truck/RV Muffler, BedRug, Bilstein 5100s, VSE Sub
    Previously 2000 Tundra, 94K, K&N Drop-in, Spintech Truck/RV Muffler, Hellwig, Bilstein 5100s, 2005 Sequoia Center Console Installed and looking awesome! - TOTALLED
    1999 UZJ100 Land Cruiser, 225K, new carpet, no major Mods planned; it's the wifeys
    1987 FJ60 Land Cruiser, 209K, K&N Drop-in, Jacobs Ignition, Jacobs Wires, Dynomax Muffler and Hi-Flow Cat, Electric Fuel Pump Conversion, Rebuilt Carb, Rebuilt Combination Manifold, SS EGR Tube, Someday...A Lift

Proud Member of the CBTMA

Liked
    0 times

Just a thought for those with squeals. I noticed they are 2000 Tundras. If I remember the adjusters for the rears were overadjusting the pads for some. Could it be your rear pads are too tight? I've only heard a squeal in reverse on my 01 once, while backing up with my emergency brake still partially engaged, DOH!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Brake squeal only in reverse

OKCTundra,
    Did your reversing squeal ever resolve? I have a 2002 Tundra and the squeal even at very slow speeds will turn the head of everyone in the parking lot. Absolutely no sound forward breaking. I was very concerned damage is being done, but based on this thread, some call it normal. Thank you for your time!
    David

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

My brakes started squealing in reverse some time ago. Figuring my pads were about gone, I decided to have it looked at. I had last had the brakes done at an independent shop. I took the truck to a different shop and the mechanic told me the pads were still good but it looked like they were semi-metallic which is not the type specified for the Tundra. (I think I've got the details right; I have slept numerous times since...) I decided not to do anything about it since it wasn't a safety issue but it seems to be getting worse and sure does draw attention. I don't know if this would apply to anyone else's squealing issue, but it's one possibilty for you to consider.

Liked
    1 times
    Images

This is so werid. I was just coming on here to see if anyone had the same issue. Mine just started squealing this past weekend when backing up. It does sound like the rear drums though, but its not a scraping, almost sounds like a rusty spring or soemthing. I don't know, but its annoying. Anyone else have this problem? I have never replaced the rear drum pads and I have almost 60k.
    2002 Toyota Tundra TRD Off-Road Package

Mods: TRD Dual Exhaust, Clear Corners, Aluminum Skid Plate, 2005 Taillights, 2005 Center Console Mod, 10" Subwoofer in Rear Seat Console, blitzsafe iPod interface, Map Light mod, 1" Daystar Lift, Force Stainless Side Steps, Pirelli Scorpion ATR's on 17's, Fog Light Mod Parts 1 & 2C...hopefully more to come

Liked
    0 times

same problem here...I guess its just normal.
    2002 TRD 4X4
    Flowmaster dual exhaust
    K@N Airfilter
    Michelin LTX M/S 265 75 16
    Used to own 1985 FJ-60

Liked
    2 times

anybody look at the "edges" of the pads to see if the metal is scraping on the drum surface? there is some play in the rear pads. they are designed to rock a bit. maybe they are rocking and also twisting outwards due to a worn spring and the metal edge of the shoes is rubbing against the drum?

just a thought....
    2004 Tundra DC Limited Phantom Perl Gray w/ Oak Leather Interior (power sunroof, Kazuma TRD LSD, Advance 4 panel hard tonneau cover, Hellwig antisway bar, lighted running boards, dual battery setup with 1500 watt 120 volt power inverter, additional 'always-on' 12 volt outlets, aftermarket dual zone heated seat kits, Blizzack W965 LT235/85R16 winter tires on stock steel rims, JBA cat-forward titanium ceramic coated headers, tinted front driver's and passenger's windows, alignment to DJ's specs, Roadmaster VR-3 backup camera, Waeco 12 volt fridge/freezer, and, the best for last.... black rubber floor mats from Sams.) Recently added: baby seat!

Wish list: too long, wife would kill me!

2003 Corolla (bone stock, but well loved and cared for!)

"Expect the impossible."
    - JC and the Brothers of Thunder

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I bought my Tacoma after seeing how happy everyone here was with theirs...

I notice that the Tacomas mentioned so far are '00, '02, and '04. I have an '06 pre runner with 5,500 miles on it, and it has been squealing in reverse since the third week I owned it (around 2,500). Like the other comments here, it's always in the morning, backing out of the driveway. Sometimes, but not always, I can jab the brake quickly, and it will stop, but then it's back the next morning.

Does this sound too soon for the problem to show up? I'd like people to look at my truck because it's shiny and new, not because it's making noise...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast