rear disc brake conversion kits

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rear disc brake conversion kits

Liked
    0 times

Default rear disc brake conversion kits

I'm interested in converting my rear drums to disc brakes on a 2002 Tundra 4X4. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    242 times
    Images

Liked
    0 times

The Friendly Dragon by the Sea Puffnstuff's Avatar
    Liked
    155 times
    Images

Default Re: rear disc brake conversion kits

Did you ever persue the conversion?
    2006 Tundra DC with: Eclipse AVN5500 Navigation System, Kicker IX500.4 driving infinity kappa 60.9cs door speakers, Kenwood KAC-X20 driving an infinity kappa 100.9w sub in sound ordnance bass bunker, UWS Black Deep Toolbox, Nasta SS Nerf Bars, Rugged Liner Bed Liner, AVS chrome bug shield, EGR in channel vent visors, Ballistic Enigma 20x9 wheels & Nitto nt420 285/50R20 tires, Hellwig 7697 & 7700 sway bars, Stinger SPP2150 Battery, Big 3 wire upgrade with 1/0 Raptor, Rancho RS5000 struts/shocks, Dynomax VT 17956 muffler, EBC Slotted Sport Rotors & Yellowstuff Kevlar pads, Russell SS brake lines, Cheetah GPS Mirror

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Puffnstuff View Post
    Did you ever pursue the conversion?
    Same question from me. Anyone do a rear disk conversion and can you really tell the difference? Do it again for the money?
    A Slice of New York - Voted Best Pizza in all Bay Area ...

Liked
    0 times
    Images

What's the benefit to this conversion? Better braking, easier pad changes? How would it be affected by water for boat launches--disc or drums better?

Also, didn't the Sequoia have rear disc brakes? Would they be bolt-on replacements, and would junkyard calipers be cheaper than the $1000 that SOS wants for their kit?

Supporter
    Liked
    4 times

Default Re: rear disc brake conversion kits, WHY???

Hey to all, Having had a 2000 SR5 V-8, (changed out the rotors on that truck and made a great difference) and now a 2005 DC 4WD V-8, Which I just changed to slotted and drilled rotors and Power stop pads, from Brakemotive [e-bay] for $109 and free shipping.

Any way my whole point in writing is WHY do a rear disc brake conversation when 70% plus of your stopping power is in the front? I could think of a lot better ways to spend a $1000 (SOS kit). Good luck to all with your brakes....... CSM-H

Liked
    0 times

It is 70% front - 30% rear, when your talking about drums.

It is 60% front - 40% rear, when considering rotors.

With that said, when you convert from drums to rotors, will the system automatically change from 70/30 to 60/40? I am not sure, and if it does, then the braking is more efficient, making the swap worth it.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Supporter
    Liked
    4 times

Freshwhite T, I would have to respectfully disagree....as the front rotors swapped to cross drilled and slotted are also going to increase the effective stopping power of the front, by what percent I do not know but it is better. As I said in the earlier post I don't believe a 10% increase in stopping power would be worth the $1000 plus spent.....Someone who knows brake and braking systems please chime in........CSM-H

Quote Originally Posted by Freshwhite T View Post
    It is 70% front - 30% rear, when your talking about drums.

It is 60% front - 40% rear, when considering rotors.

With that said, when you convert from drums to rotors, will the system automatically change from 70/30 to 60/40? I am not sure, and if it does, then the braking is more efficient, making the swap worth it.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by h7009 View Post
    Freshwhite T, I would have to respectfully disagree....as the front rotors swapped to cross drilled and slotted are also going to increase the effective stopping power of the front, by what percent I do not know but it is better. As I said in the earlier post I don't believe a 10% increase in stopping power would be worth the $1000 plus spent.....Someone who knows brake and braking systems please chime in........CSM-H
    What does it cost to go to the slotted rotors? Do they work without upgrading the calipers?
    I saw the the big brake kit was 1400.00, TRD is 1900.00, so $1K for the back doesn't look bad for 4 wheel disks.
    A Slice of New York - Voted Best Pizza in all Bay Area ...

Supporter
    Liked
    4 times

blurooster, I was wondering when someone would ask....I have a 2005 SR5 DC 4wd....I got my Slotted/cross drilled rotors and ceramic [powerslot] pads shipped to the house for $109 TOTAL......go to e-bay, look up brakes for your 2005 and look for the "Brakemotive" ad. It was such a good deal I bought a 4 wheel set for my 04 Toyota Camry SE V-6 for $199...thats ALL four wheel rotors (slotted and cross drilled) and ceramic pads.....They work excellant on both applications.......Good luck, CSM-H

Quote Originally Posted by blurooster View Post
    What does it cost to go to the slotted rotors? Do they work without upgrading the calipers?
    I saw the the big brake kit was 1400.00, TRD is 1900.00, so $1K for the back doesn't look bad for 4 wheel disks.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by h7009 View Post
    I am certainly no brake expert, so let me rephrase what I meant.

I have been told that front disc rear drum are a 70/30 split. And 4 wheel disc are a 60/40 split.

What I meant to imply, is that I personally see the logic behind there being greater efficiency, with improved brake distribution.

Also, this is with all stock pads, rotors, drums, etc.

I would much rather have 4 wheel disc brakes than rear drums. I hate drum brakes!!

Is there a cost/ benefit? Probably not for the average driver. You don't need to have disc brakes in the rear, but if I could afford it, I would do it.

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    19 times

hi i talked to 2 people who bought from ebay already drilled & slotted & pads. both were worse than stock on there 05 & 06. so they switched back. i guess the point it you get what you pay for.
    my EBC front disc pads list for $150.
    so getting rotors & pads for 109 shipped. either you got a great deal, or you will soon find out, that they aren't up to par.
    also the guy said they started to crack within 6 months.
    the other guy, said his pads came apart. the pad come off the steel. he noticed a horrible sound.
    when he lifted it & turned the wheel, he heard the sound. so he took the wheel off, & caliper ,on to find the pad came apart.
    beware of what you are buying,& where it came from. brakes are very important, steering, & tires to.
    gorilla

Liked
    0 times

Try BrakePerfomance.com

I have had my drilled and slotted installed for a month and I see a big difference!!
    2007 Toyota Tundra CrewMax LTD
    Custom Dual Exhaust (Thrush), 77 Series K&N Cold Air Intake, In-Channel AVS Visors, Chrome Tailgate Handle, Truxedo TonneauTrax Tonneau Cover, AVS Bug Shield, Bull Push Guard Bar, ABS Chrome Grille Insert, 26" Lexani LX-10 305/30/26 - Awaiting Arrival:yesnod:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 02-03-2011, 02:55 PM