turning a cross drilled and slotted rotor

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: turning a cross drilled and slotted rotor

Liked
    1 times

Default turning a cross drilled and slotted rotor

need a quick answer.. hope someone see this. anyone had to turn these type of rotors yet??? i have been getting a vibration.... not the shimmy/vibration from the factory set... but this resonating on the brake pedal. so i was in to replace my o2 sensors and going to have the shop put back on factory toyota pads, and turn the rotors. they say they can turn slotted and cross drilled rotors because it will tear up thier brake lathe.

they call 3 other shops... they all claim the same thing.

im having them do the pads... but hope there is something i can tell them about rotors.

similar post under the sp and rotor group buy.. but hoping for some quick responses so i can get this thing done today

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    7 times

Default Turning Slotted/Drilled Rotors

I looked into this a couple weeks ago and was unable to find anyone that could even measure the runout of a slotted/cross drilled rotor. I know that it is possible though.

I didn't check any of the dealerships that sell cars (Ferrari, Mercedes, Jaguar, etc) that come with these types of rotors though. These and independent shops that service these types of vehicles may be your best bet.

If you find a place that can do this, that would be good to know.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Paul
    Completed Mods:
    S&S long tube headers
    Brembo rotors
    TSB caliper upgrade
    Hawk LTS brake pads
    Stainless steel braided brake lines
    Total Chaos steering rack bushings
    Alignment to DJ's specs
    Century cap
    Line-X
    XM satellite radio module (connected to Pioneer head unit)
    Instrument cluster LED upgrade

Future Mods:
    Rearview camera system
    BA Muffler (on order)
    Sound deadener
    Fusion Drive
    Flux Capacitor Control Unit (FCCU)

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Picasso
    I looked into this a couple weeks ago and was unable to find anyone that could even measure the runout of a slotted/cross drilled rotor. I know that it is possible though.

I didn't check any of the dealerships that sell cars (Ferrari, Mercedes, Jaguar, etc) that come with these types of rotors though. These and independent shops that service these types of vehicles may be your best bet.

If you find a place that can do this, that would be good to know.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Paul
    wow.. i just spoke to a local performance shop. he said basically noone will try to turn a slotted rotor. he races and said that they can basically get rid of the "out of round" by some very "spirited" driving yee haa!

he suggested i go to one of the local runways... and do some "spirited" driving. he thought i may be able to get them feeling better again. he said that after hard braking... and coming to a stop... let the truck creep. i thought i was pretty good at that.... guess not good enough

i didnt realize i was buying disposable brake rotors... i though i was getting something that would last a long long time. thats kind of disappointing

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by chrislloyd
    wow.. i just spoke to a local performance shop. he said basically noone will try to turn a slotted rotor. he races and said that they can basically get rid of the "out of round" by some very "spirited" driving yee haa!

he suggested i go to one of the local runways... and do some "spirited" driving. he thought i may be able to get them feeling better again. he said that after hard braking... and coming to a stop... let the truck creep. i thought i was pretty good at that.... guess not good enough

i didnt realize i was buying disposable brake rotors... i though i was getting something that would last a long long time. thats kind of disappointing

Hey Chris,

These rotors can be turned. I just had a slotted pair 'trued' while on the 4-Runner. Find a competent brake shop. JB

Liked
    0 times
    Images

i turned quite a fiew sloted rotors while workin at brake deop, its dooable and it will work fine as long as they are not warped to hell.

mods:
    donahoes,camburg uppers,MT classic II's,BFG AT KO's 285 75 16, spintech sportsman street dumped,braided steel brake lines,powerslot rotors,energy suspension sterring rack bushings, 10 pack deavers, 2.5x8 sway aways with resi (rear).

Liked
    1 times

i have had 4 shops all say they wont do it... it "chews up the tips on the lathe" is the typical response. will putting new pads on slightly out of round rotors mess up the pads?

i know im not dainty on the brakes... but i really wish i didnt have to deal with warping rotors for the past 5 years

i thought these rotos were going to fix my problems once and for all

Liked
    0 times
    Images

that sucks, the tips on the leith i used were so messed up as it was i gues it didint matter. it still cut pretty good tho.

mods:
    donahoes,camburg uppers,MT classic II's,BFG AT KO's 285 75 16, spintech sportsman street dumped,braided steel brake lines,powerslot rotors,energy suspension sterring rack bushings, 10 pack deavers, 2.5x8 sway aways with resi (rear).

Liked
    7 times

Default Curing the Brake Shakes

i have had 4 shops all say they wont do it... it "chews up the tips on the lathe" is the typical response. will putting new pads on slightly out of round rotors mess up the pads?
    That's the same kind of response that I got a couple weeks ago.

i know im not dainty on the brakes... but i really wish i didnt have to deal with warping rotors for the past 5 years

i thought these rotos were going to fix my problems once and for all
    I see that you have had the brake TSB done. Since this clearly didn't resolve the problem, something else is the ultimate cause. Here's a link to another thread in case you haven't already seen it that discusses how to resolve this so that your front brakes stop shaking. Brake Problem In that thread are two links to other threads with more info.

I know that this doesn't help your immediate issue but it may help you in the long run.

Good luck.

Paul
    Completed Mods:
    S&S long tube headers
    Brembo rotors
    TSB caliper upgrade
    Hawk LTS brake pads
    Alignment to DJ's specs
    Century cap
    Line-X

Future Mods:
    Rearview camera system
    BA Muffler (on order)
    Sound deadener
    Fusion Drive

Liked
    0 times

I know very little about brakes but thought this was an interesting article in light of the fact that so many tundra owners seem to have brake problems that are said to be due to warped rotors.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

Liked
    7 times

Default New Pads on Warped Rotors

will putting new pads on slightly out of round rotors mess up the pads?
    I just noticed this part of your post but I get the impression that this is now a moot point.

I don't think you will run into any major problems doing this with warped rotors. Bedding in the new pads could be problematic due to the rotor runout though.

The trend in this forum has been to stay away from Toyota pads. Just out of curiousity, why did you select them?

Paul
    Completed Mods:
    S&S long tube headers
    Brembo rotors
    TSB caliper upgrade
    Hawk LTS brake pads
    Alignment to DJ's specs
    Century cap
    Line-X

Future Mods:
    Rearview camera system
    BA Muffler (on order)
    Sound deadener
    Fusion Drive

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times

Chris,
    Before joining this forum, I thought I knew a lot about disc brakes, but was really misinformed.

Before doing anything, please review "The Warped Rotor Myth" at this link:
    http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

From there, you will understand why rotors are "percieved" to be "warped" when really what has happened is that brake pad material has be deposited unevenly on the rotor.

I read articles indicating that slotted and cross drilled rotors should never be turned, but rather, should be properly sanded with garnet paper to remove the deposits of pad material.

Good luck.

Ron

KLS
    Liked
    3 times

I've turned lots of uneven or nicked materials on an industrial lathe with no problem, but brake shop guys are not machinists. I did measure the runout of my new slotted rotors with a dial indicator with no problem...again, brake mechanics don't understand much, just memorize a few things.

To measure the runout on slotted or drilled rotors, either a big diameter tip needs to be used on the dial indicator, or the tip needs to be lifted over each hole and slot. It really isn't a problem. If you really want the info, you might find a machine shop that does repair work, not production work, and ask one of the machinists to moonlight for you for a few bucks. He could do your measurements some evening or weekend.

And I agree, sandpaper the rotors with emery cloth, aluminum oxide abrasive cloth, whatever, to remove any deposits of pad material. If they aren't truly warped with excessive runout, they don't need turning.

Ken
    You get what you inspect
    Not what you expect.
    S&S Long Tube Hi-Torque Headers
    TRD/Eaton Limited Slip Differential
    Gibson exhaust system
    Hellwig Rear Antisway Bar
    Sylvania Xenarc H.I.D. X1010 Auxiliary Low Beam Driving Lights
    Schaeffer Engine Oil, ATF, Differential Oil
    Racor LFS22825 full-flow transmission filter
    Towing a 21' Bigfoot trailer using a Hensley Arrow hitch, Jordan brake controller, McKesh mirrors

Liked
    0 times

I was informed that you have to turn drilled/slotted rotors on a machine that turns flywheels, dont know how true that is,,,.....

Liked
    1 times

okay.. so i put back on toyota pads... mainly because they seem to "fit" better. the brake shop that put on the rotors and pads said they had to shim the pads. then they would make lots of clicking noises and such. i also got a lot of noise while braking... like a whooshing sound. they were also very dusty compared to the toyotas. this all started to happen at about 10k after the upgrade. they reshimmed the pads... but symptoms came back. this is about when the vibration started happening. i just got tired of this.. so i wanted the rotors turned and the toyota pads put back on.

so now the toyota pads are back on... the vibration is nearly gone. the brakes dont have the firm stopping feel they had with the aftermarket pads, but the smooth braking is great.

i did not have the rotors turned. i talked to to shop i bought them from... they said it was no different to turn those than any normal rotor.

im just glad not to have the vibration again

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: turning a cross drilled and slotted rotor

O'reilly's Auto Parts say they can turn drilled rotors. They are turning a pair from my Mercedes S430 right now. I suppose I will know in a couple of hours whether they can really do it or not. I figured it was worth the $30 gamble to try it.