Tacoma: How long did your brake pads last???

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tacoma: How long did your brake pads last???

Liked
    0 times

Angry How long did your brake pads last???

Hey all, I have about 13,600 miles on my 2002 DC taco and this weekend coming back from Chicago I started to get a squeal when braking...... So I took it into the dealer yesterday to have checked out and low and behold my front pads were down to the sensor and had to be replaced..... How many miles have you guys got before replacing them? Keep in mind I am from Pittsburgh so I have alot of hills when I am driving.......

Thanks
    Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

I have an 1989 longbed V6 with 220000 miles. I repaced the front pads around 90000 and then again at 210000. Back are still origanal. A lot of mine miles are highway miles.

Liked
    4 times

Default Probably won't last as long as a Dodge!

My buddy at work has an '83 Dodge 1/2 Ton 4x4 that has 133K on the original front pads. I doubt the ones on my Toyota are going to last that long. Another guy drives a '73 GMC with original pads also. They both use their trucks, haul wood, gravel, etc.

ADDING POWER HAS NEVER BEEN SO FAST!

Liked
    0 times
    Images

I had an 89 toyota 4x4 and I replaced the front pads at about 115 k and the rears were still original when I sold it with about 160 k. As far as I know the brake setups on tacomas are almost identicle. I didn't live in a major city while I owned it, so I didn't have much stop and go driving. Sounds like something is wrong with your truck, that or you constantly ride the brakes?

Liked
    0 times

First brake pads were OUT at 13K. Since then I have racked up another 14K and put on 35" tires, and they are still going strong with a good amount of wear left.
    Truck: A big green shiny thing with lots of scratches and big tires that sounds loud and crawls over things.

Things That Have Been Broken Off-roading: Front right axle snapped (twice), turned the front diff into a metal milkshake (twice), CV Boots (lost count), Power Steering Rack.... thank god my service writer likes me!

Liked
    0 times

Thanks guys.... No I don't ride the brakes, but use them frequently due to the hills here in Pittsburgh..... But it is kinda strange cause my last car (and I know it is a car) 99 Solara, I got 56,000 miles out of the front pads, and to me that is great.... I have to get the truck inspected in Feb, so I am going to have them check for wear, if they are wearing quick I am going to try to get them to replace the calipers or something, cause something isn't right.....

Mark

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Brake Pads

The first time I thought I needed new brake pads for my 99 Tacoma, I took it to my favorite mechaninc for service (not dealership). Turned out that the reason why the front pads were wearing down sooner was because the rear brakes were so dirty that they were not doing their share of the breaking; thus putting more pressure on the front brakes.

$20 for the cleaning and I didn't have to replace my pads for another year....Happy Driving

Banned
    Liked
    2 times

Default 40k Miles on my 1996 Tacoma

I traded in my 1996 Tacoma V6 4x4 with 40k Miles on the brakes. My 1998 V6 Tacoma 4x4 TRD LTD had 30k miles before I traded it in for my Tundra. But then again, I know how to save my brakes. Even my Tundra went 35k miles with the stock brakes until I had them replaced by the TSB. I always down shift or take the OD off when I need to slow down when towing and sometimes will do all this even if I am not towing. I also stop about 5 feet early at the red light, then roll forward about 2 feet after about 2 seconds to allow the pads to touch another section of the disc then roll another 1 foot after about 3 seconds, then repeat till I get to the line as this will prevent warping.

My brakes usually go out before 50k miles as I do alot of towing and I run slightly oversize mud tires to help my Tundra survive in the Winter mountains and the muddy trails of eastern Washington, Idaho and Montana.
    My brother in laws 1996 Tacoma brakes failed at 18k miles as he drove his truck like it was a Ferrari!

Hey all, I have about 13,600 miles on my 2002 DC taco
    Do you have oversize tires, or do you do alot of towing, as this will wear brakes down?

My buddy at work has an '83 Dodge 1/2 Ton 4x4 that has 133K on the original front pads
    NO WAY! Are you sure your not Canadian and you mean 133k Kilometers?

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: 40k Miles on my 1996 Tacoma

Do you have oversize tires, or do you do alot of towing, as this will wear brakes down?
    No I don't do or have either..... I do what you do as far as using the Overdrive, turning it off when slowing down, this helps alot especially on the hills here...... Still wore out pretty early.....
    Mark

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default brakin'

My sequoia has over 30k on it and the brakes are still good. the key is not waiting till the last second to stop this will creat too much heat and cause warping and faster wear of the pads.

Liked
    0 times

On my old tacoma i changed my brakes like every 10k it seemed. Brakes suck on Tacomas. I drove it hard also.........

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I have a 97 tacoma and I change the brake pads almost every year --15,000 miles/year. I tow my 16' alum. boat occasionally during the summer. This coming summer, I'll need new rotors (still have the originals) and brake pads. The brake pads from the dealers lasted longer than the ones I get from my local auto parts store.

doodosr8

Originally posted by Tundra311
    On my old tacoma i changed my brakes like every 10k it seemed. Brakes suck on Tacomas. I drove it hard also.........

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

i had a 98 tacoma v6 4X4. Replaced the fronts at 76,000 and I just traded it in at 116,000 for a new tundra stepside. Still haven't touched the back or the front again after that first time.

I tow a 3500lb bass boat with it as well.

You have to keep adjusting the back brakes. As they wear, the fronts end up doing most of the stopping and will wear out fast. You will know you have to do them when your e-brake has to be pulled farther than a few inches. It should be really tight.

Hope that helps for future use.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

I just replaced my front brakes on my 1999 4x4 Tacoma for the first time at 71,000 miles. I haven't changed the back ones yet, but I think I had about 80% left at 50,000 miles.

Mike

Liked
    0 times

I just noticed my brake pads are starting to squeal and I'm at 38,000 miles, guess it's time to check them out.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.