How can I tell if I need new shocks /struts?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How can I tell if I need new shocks /struts?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default How can I tell if I need new shocks /struts?

Hi all,

Tire kingdom told me, when I took my 2001 sequoia to balance my tires, that I needed new shocks and struts. How can I really tell if I need them? Now I drive around feeling if my tires bounce on every bump.

Any tips? My car has 87k miles. Does a replacement at that many miles sound logical? If so, what brands do you recommend and where to buy them?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: How can I tell if I need new shocks /struts?

what is your tire wear like?
    2008 Sequoia Limited
    1984 BMW 533i (Metric Mechanic 3.7l with lots of goodies)
    2006 R1200RT

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Not good. My original Michelins lasted about 55k miles. I have Dunlops and just rotated them . The fronts were somewhat worn especially on the outside. The outside wear could be my driving but they are definately worn more than I expected. within the tread, they are evenly worn.

Liked
    0 times

How many miles do you have on your baby? Millage is not exclusively a good indicator - often manufactures will say change them at 75k, but they often will last MUCH longer.

One thing to look for is oil leaking down (or dark discoloring) on the struts that will indicate leaking. Look at all 4 struts for this. The oil could be still a little moist, but more then likely will be dried on the strut. And often the oil will be on just a section of the strut - think seal leak, not necessarily making the strut oily all the way around it.

Then there is the good old bounce test. Push on each corner of the truck (as if trying to bounce it) several times and then let go. It should not bounce more then 1.5 to 2.5 times before stopping. The hard thing about struts is that they wear out slowly, so their diminished capacity is gradual over time and therefore not as noticeable.

Here is a tire wear chart that you might also find helpful. When check tire wear, its good to run you hand over the tread (both forward and backward) so you can feel if the tire is feathering (it can be hard to see).

let us know how you come out!

Misalignment Condition

Tire Wear Symptom

Incorrect Camber Setting:
    Premature smooth wear on either inside or outside shoulder.

Incorrect Toe Setting:
    Feathered wear across tread; raised tread block edges.

Incorrect Caster Setting:
    Excessive shoulder wear; tread blocks show "heel-toe" wear pattern.

Unequal Caster setting (either right or left side is out of specification):
    Sharp pulling necessitates steering compensation and feathered wear.

Unequal Toe setting (either right or left side is out of specification):
    Sharp pulling necessitates steering compensation and feathered wear.

Combination of two or more settings are out of specification:
    Irregular tread wear with feathering and smooth spots.
    Last edited by indycar89; 11-05-2007 at 06:16 AM.
    2008 Sequoia Limited
    1984 BMW 533i (Metric Mechanic 3.7l with lots of goodies)
    2006 R1200RT

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Here is one way to tell if you need new struts:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010-01-24 11.34.17.jpg 
Views:	1809 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	52898   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010-01-24 11.34.50.jpg 
Views:	2044 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	52899  

Mods

Sylvania SilverStar Headlights
    PIAA Ion Crystal Fog Lights
    Clear Corners w/Sylvania SilverStar irridescent/amber Signal lights
    PIAA High Intensity White LED rear liscense plate lights
    PIAA Xtreme White front/rear map and door lights
    PIAA Xtreme White front/rear dome lights
    Superlumination Red 15-LED tail/stop lights
    Superlumination Red 5-LED Wedge Matrix rear tail markers
    Superlumination Super White 9-LED backup lights
    Superlumination Red 5-LED Wedge Matrix top rear brake lights

Sunroof and door wind deflectors

10 in. Bazooka Base Tube

265/70/16 Michelin Cross Terrain SUV's

...and the list grows!

Future Mods

Rear LED turn signals
    Navigation System
    Black Rims w/ chrome trim
    upgraded exhaust system
    K/N Air Filter
    Black Front Grille Guard
    Black Rear Light Grilles

Liked
    4 times
    Images

I would recommend looking into new struts and shocks in the near future if it's in the budget. The Sequoia already comes stock with fairly soft shocks, and with that many miles you might enjoy a little better ride even though they might have some life left in them. Mine had about 93k miles when I replaced mine, and I'm glad I did. The ride is completely personal preference, so you may need to provide some information on what you want to do with the Sequoia....like if you want a stock feel, or if you want performance, or more for hauling or wheeling. Sounds like you might also want to consider an alignment check for the best tire wear. I can send you some alignment specs if you need them.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

I guess I might as well ask since I was also told the shocks and struts on our Sequoia were bad. We tow a travel trailer so was looking into the Bilsteins HD's. I do like a somewhat soft ride when not towing as we have a young child and the jarring can be rough on bad roads. Is there a comparable shock that would ride soft while regular driving and yet support the Seq when towing? Maybe I'm asking too much but thought I's ask. TIA

Liked
    4 times
    Images

I would recommend the Old Man Emu OME60002 (comfort ride) or the FJ100 series rear Bilstein shock...both about the same price.

Liked
    3 times
    Images

Last week, I took my Sequoia to a wheels/tires/suspension shop to have one of the tires looked at for abnormal vibrations. They did a simple bounce test in the rear and said that the rear shocks were too soft then normal for a vehicle like that (mind you I have the Bilstein rear shocks on since 05) and he recommended I look into replacing them. Should these shocks last longer or is it typical to be replaced every 5 years?
    2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5

Vroom VroomParty Starter

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by iQUE09 View Post
    Here is one way to tell if you need new struts:
    Pardon the ignorance, but what exactly am I looking for to see if I need new struts in these two pictures?
    2001 Toyota Sequoia Limited 160K

Liked
    4 times
    Images

If you're talking about the pictures above by iQUE09, you can see near the bottom where the strut is leaking...on the second image. Normally you cannot tell by a picture.
    TRD Grille, TRD Interior, OME 60002 Rear shocks, OME865 Rear springs, OME861 stone guards, Downey Coilover, 285/65 Dynapro AT's, Total Chaos bushings, Bassani Exhaust, Amsoil on FIPK, Diehard Platinum, SilverStar lights, Formula One tint. (SOLD)

"Potential just means you ain't done it yet" -Darrell Royal

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by big-o View Post
    If you're talking about the pictures above by iQUE09, you can see near the bottom where the strut is leaking...on the second image. Normally you cannot tell by a picture.
    OK, so the bottom where the strut mount to the vehicle? Is that where it's leaking? Otherwise, I don't see anything else. I always thought it was where the cover and the actual strut came together.

I understand the bounce method, which I can't really do with that large of vehicle. I can't get enough weight to make it even move. I think with 160K the shocks and struts are still original. I don't notice excessive bouncing around when driving on the hwy either. Any other way to check them?

Liked
    4 times
    Images

Yes, you're correct...the leaking is at the bottom where it connects to the lower A-arm.

The bounce method is hard to do, but if the struts or shocks are bad...it doesn't take a lot of effort to get the car to bounce. You can also see bad struts on cars when driving down the freeway at high speed...as one of the wheels may be bouncing up and down a lot more than the other wheels. Bottom line is if your ride doesn't feel as controlled, or the rebound is really sloppy...it's probably time to replace. I'm sure at 160k, it could use some new ones!! Go with Bilstein or Old Man Emu, Tokico or Coilovers..something reliable and comfortable.
    TRD Grille, TRD Interior, OME 60002 Rear shocks, OME865 Rear springs, OME861 stone guards, Downey Coilover, 285/65 Dynapro AT's, Total Chaos bushings, Bassani Exhaust, Amsoil on FIPK, Diehard Platinum, SilverStar lights, Formula One tint. (SOLD)

"Potential just means you ain't done it yet" -Darrell Royal

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by big-o View Post
    Yes, you're correct...the leaking is at the bottom where it connects to the lower A-arm.

The bounce method is hard to do, but if the struts or shocks are bad...it doesn't take a lot of effort to get the car to bounce. You can also see bad struts on cars when driving down the freeway at high speed...as one of the wheels may be bouncing up and down a lot more than the other wheels. Bottom line is if your ride doesn't feel as controlled, or the rebound is really sloppy...it's probably time to replace. I'm sure at 160k, it could use some new ones!! Go with Bilstein or Old Man Emu, Tokico or Coilovers..something reliable and comfortable.
    What would you recommend for replacements. Bang for buck and where. I heard shockwarehouse plus 10% coupon code or someplace better? No lift on my Seq. Not looking for any kind of lift.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    193 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
    Hi all,

Tire kingdom told me, when I took my 2001 sequoia to balance my tires, that I needed new shocks and struts. How can I really tell if I need them? Now I drive around feeling if my tires bounce on every bump.

Any tips? My car has 87k miles. Does a replacement at that many miles sound logical? If so, what brands do you recommend and where to buy them?

Thanks
    I replaced the struts on my 2004 Sequoia with Toyota struts at 103,000 miles. The old struts looked fine on removal and I can't say I feel much difference in how the vehicle drives. I think I could have left the original struts on longer.

From my experience, before you replace any suspension parts, first replace the steering rack bushings. The front tires on my Sequoia were wearing on the outer edges and I'm pretty sure the reason was the soft steering rack bushings that allowed the rack to move a little side to side. I installed the Total Chaos polyurethane bushing kit and the uneven tire wear stopped.

If you go with replacement Toyota struts, you will probably want to replace the lower shock cushion retainer at the same time. Mine were heavily corroded. The part number (for my 2004 vehicle) is 90080-94195.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast