Rear Window, Defrost, Wiper not working

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Rear Window, Defrost, Wiper not working

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Rear Window, Defrost, Wiper not working

Can anyone tell me why the rear window, defrost and wiper no longer work on my '05 ltd? The dealer has said they have no idea and would have to take apart the rear hatch. Sounded expensive and also potential for future trouble. I have checked all of the fuses. When trying the rear window you can hear the motor for a 1/2 second then nothing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Default Re: Rear Window, Defrost, Wiper not working

This may be dumb, but are you sure that the window is 100% closed? If it is at all open it will deactivate all of those. I'm not sure if it affects it, but the driver's passenger window lock button might deactivate the rear window too... tho i am not sure on that.
    JD and Beastlet likes this.
    1988 Nissan 300zx 5spd 80,000 miles
    1995 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 5spd 90,000 miles (sold, frame shot)
    2001 Sequoia Limited 4x4 182,000 miles (some electronic issues, manifolds, otherwise solid and not a single rattle woot)
    2006 Suzuki GS500F 6spd

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times
    Images

I believe there is a rear window ECU in the hatch, don't know about the Sequoia, but 4runner's seem to have a lot of the rear ecu problems too.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

We have tried everything. The window stopped working several months ago. It doesn't go up or down using the key in the door, the remote or the button on the dash. I have tried all the tricks that have been posted and have pulled all the fuses...nothing worked. I have rearranged the rear wiper blade to make sure it is in the correct spot.

Is there an easy way to access the inside of the hatch? I can't see any connectors to pull off the inside panel.

It sounds like it should be a fuse since the wiper, defrost and window doesn't work but I can't find which fuses it may be.

Poor design on Toyota's part. If one thing doesn't work make them all not work????

Liked
    25 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sequoia ltd View Post
    We have tried everything. The window stopped working several months ago. It doesn't go up or down using the key in the door, the remote or the button on the dash. I have tried all the tricks that have been posted and have pulled all the fuses...nothing worked. I have rearranged the rear wiper blade to make sure it is in the correct spot.

Is there an easy way to access the inside of the hatch? I can't see any connectors to pull off the inside panel.

It sounds like it should be a fuse since the wiper, defrost and window doesn't work but I can't find which fuses it may be.

Poor design on Toyota's part. If one thing doesn't work make them all not work????
    Same happened to me under warranty. Dealer replaced the window motor and all is well.

Not reallya poor design..........you don't want or need to use the wiper or defogger when the window isn't closed. If the motor malfunctions or didn't close the window completely, then those other things won't work.
    05 Sequoia 4x4 Ltd. Phantom Grey Pearl, Weld 20" wheels on Michelin tires, MagnaFlow cat-back, Amsoil fluids, custom 15" overhead DVD system, Eclipse NAV system w/camera, Sirius tuner, HD Radio tuner. HAT tweeters, Scanspeak mids and DLS coaxials, TRU B-2110 and H-1 amps, 13" eD sub, iPod hookup. SilverStar Ultra lamps, Bilsteins all around.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Same exact thing
    I took it to the dealer and they said there was a loose connection on the rear ECU

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Hmmmmmm, I just change my battery in my '05 seq ltd and lost all the same stuff, but have assumed I blew a fuse when changing the battery. I haven't checked to see if the window works. Here in Minnesota it is too ffffcold to role any windows down. But I have been missing the wiper in the sloppy conditions. I've got 65K, doubt warranty is going to do me any good.

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by redwa94 View Post
    Hmmmmmm, I just change my battery in my '05 seq ltd and lost all the same stuff, but have assumed I blew a fuse when changing the battery. I haven't checked to see if the window works. Here in Minnesota it is too ffffcold to role any windows down. But I have been missing the wiper in the sloppy conditions. I've got 65K, doubt warranty is going to do me any good.
    I had the exact same issue with my '05 Limited Sequoia. None of the 3 worked (wiper, window, defrost). I assumed and really couldn't see how it could be any else but a fuse, but after following several other threads pertaining to this, I was able to fix on my own by removing the back panel of the tailgate, disconnecting/reconnecting all wiring, and tapping on the motor several times. I was incredibly skeptical about doing this, but had nothing better to do at the time and did not want to pay a ton of money without having to, so I got after it. I got a interior panel tool from the local auto part store and followed the TSB EL007-06 (Back Door Power Window Inoperative). It took about 45 minutes...took my time (live in Iowa, so it's cold as hell here too). Once I was finished, my rear wiper started running as soon as I turned the key on, as I must have left it in the ON position prior to starting. Now all 3 work. In my opinion, I think it has something to do with the cold weather we live in freezing the grease, etc in the motor if the window isn't used very often (hence the tapping on the motor). The remaining options must be connected to that window motor as well, which is why they quit working once the window does. I never thought in a million years it would work, but it did. Now that I think about it, this same thing happened to me when about a year ago when it was still under warranty and I took it in when getting the oil changed. They told me some story about my connections and ECU, and that they replaced it, etc...but still had problems. Knowing what I know now, sounds like BS. Give it a shot. The paneling comes off much easier than you think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.gif 
Views:	3893 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	29139   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.gif 
Views:	3491 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	29140   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.gif 
Views:	3317 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	29141   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.gif 
Views:	3692 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	29142   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.gif 
Views:	3245 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	29143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.gif 
Views:	3043 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	29144  
    mikeandirma likes this.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Had the same problem; here's what fixed mine. It appears that the window motor some how got into a bind. I removed the rear panel. Remove screws from rear hatch access panel. There is a plate with four screws that hold the window motor. I loosened these screws and lightly wiggled the panel while my son was inside pressing the switch in the down position. The widow and wiper now works! Hope this helps.Wonder what the dealer would have charged for such a fix?

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Thanks Nevans3! How nice to have the actual TCB. I have an 05 SR5 with the EXACT same problem. I will follow the Tech. Service Bulletin you posted tonight.
    mikeandirma likes this.

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

penntl and evans3 were right. i took off all the paneling and unscrewed the rear window motor just enough to jiggle it a bit and the retightened. It works like a charm. My rear wiper works now as well. No new motor needed. THANKS!

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

penntl and evans3 were right. i took off all the paneling and unscrewed the rear window motor just enough to jiggle it a bit and the retightened. It works like a charm. My rear wiper works now as well. No new motor needed. THANKS!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I am curious of how many sequoia owners have had this problem with the rear window and wipper?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I just got this same problem. lol. I guess i'll try what you guys did and hopefully it'll work.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Oh and btw, I have an 05 Sequioa.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.