4wd orange blinking light

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: 4wd orange blinking light

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default 4wd orange blinking light

Little help please? (2003 Sequoia)

I tried to shift into 4wd mode yesterday and it would never engage... the orange blinking light never stopped blinking. I tried to turn it off... and it still won't stop blinking.

Even when I shut the car off and restart... the orange light continues to blink.

I called the dealer service guy and he told me to put the car in neutral and use the floor stick shift (which I've never touched before) and go into high and low to try to "unstick" it. I tried that in my driveway... and drove up /down the street trying to either get it into 4wd or turn it off. Nothing will stop that orange light from blinking and I have to say... without 4wd... my truck won't go anywhere in the snow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    3 times

Default Re: 4wd orange blinking light

Sounds like a visit to the dealership is coming in the near future. All you can try is what it sounds like you have done

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

By chance did you push the transfer case lock button instead of the 4wd button?

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Andy4 View Post
    By chance did you push the transfer case lock button instead of the 4wd button?
    Is that the button right next to the 4wd button? I don't think so. I have tried pushing it to try to resolve the problem... it doesn't seem to do anything... doesn't even light up anything on the dashboard.

I guess I should've put it into 4wd periodically all summer... but I never remembered to.

I have an appointment tomorrow morning.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

did you try searching on here? i saw a couple of posts awhile back
    2001 TOYOTA SEQUOIA 4X4 LIMITED BLACK W/TAN
    1991 TOYOTA PICKUP 4X4 FIBERGLASS FENDERS BED SIDES AND HOOD
    1989 TOYOTA SUPRA(IS NOW GONE)

Liked
    0 times
    Images

try croweling under the truck with hammer and lightly tap on the tranfer solenoid some time when you dont keep it lube it freezes up in cold weather when you need it the most this work most of the time

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep it in mind if it happens again.

I had it at the dealer this morning and they told me the actuator froze... and it had to be hooked up to the computer to get it "unfrozen". $95.

I should use it once a month for 10 miles... but not on dry pavement. Does anyone know WHY you can't put it in 4wd on dry pavement? How does the car know? Why does the car care?

Liked
    0 times
    Images

you can run the truck 4wd on dry pavement for 5-10miles and its not going to hurt anything just try to keep it under 40 then dissingage it

Liked
    0 times

Question Re: 4wd orange blinking light

I have a somewhat similar problem with my 01 Sequoia...and could use some help.....
    When I push the 4wd buttom, my orange light continues to blink and won't engage (go solid orange). I tried accelerating, decelerating and going in reverse, but it won't go solid. The same thing happens in low range.
    When I push it again to turn off 4wd, you can feel it let go and hear those usual clicking sounds. Is it possible that it is in 4wd, but the light is screwed up?
    I really don't want to go to the stealer.......I'm gonna try the tapping thing today. If you have any other ideas, I would appreciate it!
    Thx
    TR

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Selby55
    Read ths thread on 4wd
    what's with the 4WD ? 2004

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I have researched this for about a week. I posted this: "DIY 4-wheel drive actuator and blinking light problem? " under the "Engine & Drivetrain" forum. Hopefully we will get good input.

Liked
    6 times

Smile Re: 4wd orange blinking light

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby55 View Post
    Is that the button right next to the 4wd button? I don't think so. I have tried pushing it to try to resolve the problem... it doesn't seem to do anything... doesn't even light up anything on the dashboard.

I guess I should've put it into 4wd periodically all summer... but I never remembered to.

I have an appointment tomorrow morning.

The button next to the 4WD button is the "VSC OFF" button, rather than a differential lock button. VSC stands for Vehicle Skid Control.

Vehicle Skid Control is a system that reduces power to a particular wheel, when that wheel is detected to be spinning, based on input from the VSC Sensor on each wheel.

Pressing the "VSC OFF" button temporarily defeats the VSC system, it does not "lock the differential." Just wanted to clear that up.

8-18-11 Update: Oops. I stand corrected. My brother has a newer Sequoia and it does have a "differential lock" button next to the "4WD" button. On the 2002 model there is no "diff. lock" button and you have to put the shifter on the steering column into "L" to lock the differential. I guess the button was an improvement on this method. Hope I didn't confuse anyone.
    Last edited by henway2; 08-18-2011 at 01:51 PM.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

You can drive in 4wd HI for the speeds recommended in the book (60-70mph) while on hard surfaces. Many vehicles these days are in constant 4wd mode. DO NOT LOCK THE DIFF though unless you are going much slower and are on a very loose or slippery surface. The problem with higher speeds while in 4wd mode is increased wear and tear on drive components, tires, and less mpg.

Liked
    1 times

A few years ago I noticed the time it took for the 4wd to engage ('01 Sequoia) was taking longer and longer. I dug around and found a vacuum line on the driver side (mid way on the top) of the tranny that was cracked where it went into the tranny (vacuum leak). So I snipped off a 1/4 inch or so and put the line back on. It engaged almost IMMEDIATELY when I hit the 4wd button. Things were back to normal and have been for several years.

This past summer I was on an off-road trip and one of the guys driving a Tacoma said his 4wd was not engaging all of a sudden. I told him to look for the line and see if the end was cracked. It was... a quick snip and presto... 4wd engaged. Easy... and FREE!!! Hope this helps!