DIY 4-wheel drive actuator and blinking light problem?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: DIY 4-wheel drive actuator and blinking light problem?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default DIY 4-wheel drive actuator and blinking light problem?

I have a 2003 Sequoia. It has been trouble free until now. I now have the dreaded 4-wheel drive blinking orange light problem that has hit many Toyota SUV and truck owners. The blinking orange light does not turn off indicating that the 4x4 drive is not engaging. I have researched this at length and the problem according to most is either the center transfer case actuator or the front differential actuator, also known as the Automatic Differential Disconnect (ADD).

I have read that the problem is sometimes just corrosion, corroded electrical contacts in the actuators, or a just little lubricant. Worst case would be damaged gears in the transfer case or front differential. I want to remove, clean and bench test the actuators before I drop hundreds of dollars on a new ADD (I have heard $800 for just the part). I love my shade tree mechanic projects and take my cars to the dealer as the last possible alternative!

Here is my question. I have tried to remove the center actuator from the transfer case. The electrical connectors, breather tube, and three bolts come out with ease; however, I can only slide the actuator back about inch and it does not want to come out any further. I have not yet put a pry bar or hammer to it for fear of damage. Is the shaft that is coming out of the transfer case connected to the transfer case or to the actuator? Is there some pin or clip I am not seeing?

I assume there will be a similar issue with the front differential actuator. I can see and get to the 4 bolts, but have not tried to remove the front one yet.

Has anyone removed and replaced their center or front ADD actuators on their own? I have tried to find a detailed DIY thread on this. Any advice and step-by-step guidance would be helpful to me and hundred of others that want to fix their electric (#@$%!) 4-wheel drive and keep $1,000's in their pocket! THANKS!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Re: DIY 4-wheel drive actuator and blinking light problem?

I looked at the 2001 sequoia repair manual. Same T-case as the 2003. The Transfer Assembly repair manual shows 2 snap rings on the gear shift fork shaft which is part of the actuator assembly. Removal of the snap rings to remove the actuator assembly requires opening up the transfer case.

Front differential carrier repair manual disassembly procedure shows that the ADD actuator can be removed from the front diff without opening up the diff. It's the first thing removed when dissasembling the front diff and the last thing installed when reassembling. You'll need to clean off the old FIPG and apply new when you r&r the ADD actuator. I've never done either of these jobs.

Liked
    0 times

send me a pm with your email address and I can send you the corresponding pages of the service manual.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

cotoyotafixer,
    Were you able to fix this problem in your 03 sequoia? I am having exact same problem with my 03 sequoia and would like to try to fix it myself too. Especially since there aren't any toyota repair shops in my area.
    Any advice would be helpful! Thanks.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

i also have the same problem with my 04 tundra got the front to work but wont go into low range