Sequoia Timing Belt Change

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Sequoia Timing Belt Change

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Sequoia Timing Belt Change

I have AN 04' WITH 87,000 MILES ON IT, THE OWNERS MANUAL STATES TO CHANGE THE TIMING BELT AT 90,000 MILES. Toyota wants $450.00 just for the parts (belt, idler pullys, water pump) and 6.5 hours of labor at $90.00 per hour!!!!!!!! Wow, I realize this is essential, but think the cost is outragious! Has anyone had there's changed, and at what milage and at what cost?. Did the engine perform better after the install. Interference motor will be wiped out if it breaks. Any other thoughts. After reviewing the tech procedures for this job, its way out of my league for DIY. Has anyone out there had this done, any other tips or experiences???

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Sequoia Timing Belt Change

I had my belts and water pump replaced in my 01 Limited in Feb. of 2008. I did not have the idler pullys replaced because they were OK. My cost for the job was $115 for the belts, $150 for the pump, $20 for the coolant and $615 for labor.

The truck had 113,000 miles at the time of the replacement, and the old timing belt looked like it would have gone another 50K EASY. I could not tell any difference in the motor after the job was done -- it was still as silky smooooth after as it was before.

The belts are engineered to last much more than the 90,000 mile replacement interval - BUT - I personally wouldn't push it too far!!!

Jim

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by JRovezzi View Post
    I have AN 04' WITH 87,000 MILES ON IT, THE OWNERS MANUAL STATES TO CHANGE THE TIMING BELT AT 90,000 MILES. Toyota wants $450.00 just for the parts (belt, idler pullys, water pump) and 6.5 hours of labor at $90.00 per hour!!!!!!!! Wow, I realize this is essential, but think the cost is outragious! Has anyone had there's changed, and at what milage and at what cost?. Did the engine perform better after the install. Interference motor will be wiped out if it breaks. Any other thoughts. After reviewing the tech procedures for this job, its way out of my league for DIY. Has anyone out there had this done, any other tips or experiences???
    Try doing it yourself then complain about the labor cost.

Hmmm, $4000 rebuilt engine...
    Last edited by JBH1989; 01-02-2009 at 05:32 PM.
    8/03 UCK35; 65k

ASE Certified A4 thru A8
    Independent BMW Technician

Liked
    3 times

The labor cost is reasonable when you consider the huge amount of work involved. You can save 28% of parts by buying them from "Toyota Parts" - OnlineToyota Parts and Accessories. and other discount Toyota dealers.

If you have been a gentle to moderate city/suburban driver (rarely floor the gas pedal and rarely accelerate hard from stoplights around town) or are mainly a highway driver (and don't tow frequently) you can safely stretch the timing belt / water pump/ two idler pulley / belt tensioner replacement interval to 120,000 miles. But aggressive, hard charging drivers should stick to the 90,000 mile interval.

The problem with changing only the belt (and not also the other associated parts) at 90,000 is that sometimes the water pump and belt tensioner won't make it to 180,000. There was one fellow on the 1st generation Tundra forum that had a belt tensioner fail at 174,000 miles during a full throttle passing manuver, which in turn caused the timing belt to come off which in turn ruined his cylinder heads.
    EmmittFitzhume likes this.

Ray
    Liked
    0 times

I replace mine at 110K and I did it myself, its labor intensive. If you never done it before don't do it. I replace water pump, belt, pulleys, tensioner.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

To me, it was worth it to spend the $$$ and get it done right by people who have probably done this job 100 times.

I looked at the procedure on how to do it and it was a no-brainer after I read the first couple of pages. :shocked:

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by kathyricks View Post
    The labor cost is reasonable when you consider the huge amount of work involved. You can save 28% of parts by buying them from "Toyota Parts" - OnlineToyota Parts and Accessories. and other discount Toyota dealers.

If you have been a gentle to moderate city/suburban driver (rarely floor the gas pedal and rarely accelerate hard from stoplights around town) or are mainly a highway driver (and don't tow frequently) you can safely stretch the timing belt / water pump/ two idler pulley / belt tensioner replacement interval to 120,000 miles. But aggressive, hard charging drivers should stick to the 90,000 mile interval.

The problem with changing only the belt (and not also the other associated parts) at 90,000 is that sometimes the water pump and belt tensioner won't make it to 180,000. There was one fellow on the 1st generation Tundra forum that had a belt tensioner fail at 174,000 miles during a full throttle passing manuver, which in turn caused the timing belt to come off which in turn ruined his cylinder heads.

What he said. just did my 02 with 126K and the belt was ready to go, but may have lasted much longer. These engines are designed so that once you are in there you might as well do everything. My water pump seal was leaking a little, but I had no idea since it is under all these covers. If you drive it like a sports car change it. If not, give it a while.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Buy all the parts from the toyota dealer online at a discount, then bring it to a mechanic you trust and have him do it. You should save a tleast a few hundred bucks.

Liked
    0 times

I just had mine done at 120k. I went to an independent mechanic I know, and he got the parts kit from Toyota. The kit included the stuff mentioned above (water pump, etc), and he charged me around $1000 for the whole deal (and an oil change).

Regards,

Boris

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

If you never change a timing belt before don't try at home please.
    The timing belt tensioner pushrod it's a little complicated to compress and hold the timing belt in correct position on marks, you need experience, If you have a mechanic friend can help you, it's better and you can learn.

Change the water pump and idlers pulleys it's only a precaution, check coolant leaks and bearings if no have any noise o play.

But, if you have the experience.
    AutoZone have the info.
    AutoZone.com | Vehicle Selection - Year

Good Luck

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I forget to mention a tip, If you want a hold de timing belt on position marks and not moved when installed on all shaft and pulleys, a plastic clamps (not to strong) in each camshaft for hold the T. Belt is a good solution, after check all marks and tensioner pushrod return a tension position (push the pulley complete up).
    "CUT" de plastic clamps and remove.

Banned
    Liked
    1 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kathyricks View Post

I did the timing belts on my 2000 Tundra and payed around $225 in part's. Part list was all tensioners ,idlers ,etc and the two engine o ring seal's too. Water pump was also replaced but gives me piece of mind its done the right way. On the 09 seq the 5.7 liter iforce v8 engine doesn't have a timing belt (Chain) so I am saved in this deptment (woohoo)..

Liked
    0 times

That price seems really high.

My dealer quoted me $590 for the timing belt, labor and the drive belts.

Unfortunatly once they got in there they found the water pump was starting to seep so there went another $300 for parts/labor.

Liked
    2 times
    Images

When I have to do mine I'll make sure to change all pulleys at the same time. Kind of makes sense while your there. On my Corolla they didn't on one change and sure enough the idler pulley seized about 35k later and trashed the timing belt as well as a couple other parts. At least it was caught before motor damage happened. Pay me now or pay me later but paying twice for the same job in a short time REALLY sucks.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I guess either my being aggressive, or the economy is helping. I asked for a quote for the timing belt, serpentine, and water pump replacement and was quoted $790 in NC. I then spoke with parts ($450) then spoke to service and told them I will get a re manufactured Toyota water pump from elsewhere, and buy the new belts from toyota and have local mechanic install. they then quoted me $620. If you don't negotiate, you miss opportunities, and call the lexus dealer for pricing if they won't negotiate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast