OME 2862 Installed - First Impressions - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

OME 2862 Installed - First Impressions

Installed OME 2862's on the rear today. I already have 5100's up front on the 3rd (middle) notch. I am running 4600s for rear shocks, which as others have noted, don't really damp the stock coils properly.

It did lift the rear about 2" - ground to flare is 37.75" and fronts are sitting at 35.5" (with 265/70 tires). So I will probably move the 5100's up a notch. 285s in the future...

Handling is really improved and the ride quality is excellent unloaded. The stock coil bounce and lean is gone. The 4600s seem much better tuned to the stiffer coils. I was pretty much resigned to replacing them, but it feels very in tune with the front suspension now, and they are plenty long for the 2" lift (over a inch more than the suspension can droop with the swaybar attached).

So judgement will wait until a trip where we have all six of us and the two Bernese Mountain Dogs plus gear onboard. It's not like the 5100's are super damp so my goal remains lift, load bearing, and not excessive suspension motion over dips, etc.

I attached some pics. The OME look massive in comparison, but those top coils are designed to be "dead" (stacked) with a progressive spring rate transition zone to the heavier rate so the coils can have a longer effective length and higher spring rate, with ride quality retained both loaded and unloaded.

I'll report back more on how it all fares once loaded up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1473900722450.jpg (1.14 MB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg image_1473900749346.jpg (1.66 MB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg image_1473900770589.jpg (808.9 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg image_1473900789112.jpg (1.19 MB, 153 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 10:10 PM
Lurking Member

Garage
Re: OME 2862 Installed - First Impressions

What! you got 2 inch from 2862. I only got 1 inch paired with 5100. Also I don't think my 2862 look like yours. I have to check my out again because yours are progressive spring and I think my are just regular.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cell photo 158.jpg (866.6 KB, 60 views)
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

There are comments from Slee on IH8MUD going back to 2009 (that I found in a quick search) discussing the 862 as progressive and pics as early as 2011 show the same coil as I posted - there seems to have been some debate over there as people didn't realize the coil had changed since it appears that it took ARB a few years to actually list the progressive rates on their charts @170/260 lb/in.

I went back and forth on this based on reports here in terms of lift. This is the "stock height" coil for the 80 series, and factory 80 coils are supposed to give a 2" lift on Sequoias, but then there are reports of only an inch of lift here while 80 series users tend to report a small lift under 1" with these coils replacing factory.

So I figured I'd probably get a full 2" (center of hub to flare is 23"), especially once I saw the coils side by side. All good - I just ordered the Light Racing UCA and will up the Bilstein 5100 perch notch. Will be hard to not go to 285's though...

Last edited by naytree; 09-15-2016 at 08:00 AM.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Here's what the coils look like installed - note the stacked upper coils that are there for longer static coil length for longer shocks, and then the transition to the higher rate.

260 lb/in is definitely a heavier duty rate once you load to the point of just siting at that rate (stock is probably something like 190). This is really a perfect coil for a Sequoia if the owner isn't adverse to a little bit of lift and the fact it will almost certainly force him or her into an aftermarket UCA for alignment reasons assuming lifting the front to match.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1473950656918.jpg (700.8 KB, 85 views)
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Continuing this thread with myself ...

Had the chance to load it up with 6 teenage boys and their gear for an out of state XC running event. Unlike the stock coils that just collapsed under the weight, the 862's held up as they should. Also took a 300 mile trip with kids and dogs over the weekend and again, everything held up properly.

With the stock coils, I was getting a lot of feedback from the rear suspension to the front that is now gone, handling is crisp even fully loaded with passengers and gear, ride is still very smooth. It's not a particularly taught suspension with the Bilstein shocks, but again, the front really isn't super tight either and part of of the point of a large SUV is a smooth ride. I've taken it unloaded on a short bit of rutted road and things are vastly improved there as well - all of that feedback from the rear is under control.

At this point, having done 5100's, the 862's are by far the biggest improvement to handling and ride. The much maligned Bilstein 4600's still seem nicely tuned to the front 5100's with the coils no longer wallowing all over the place so I don't see any reason to throw good money out at this point to replace them. I don't know what these trucks were like new, but those rear coils are woefully inadequate for the general intent. I have since thought about doing OME 885s for the front, but just not going to bother since front to rear is properly balanced and I can level it with the 5100's.

Light Racing UCA arrived today to handle alignment duties. Pretty stoked - it feels like a real 4x4 now.

One point of interest - since the top coils are "dead" (stacked), somebody who wanted less lift could have a shop cut them down an inch. I don't see any reason for it since it looks great and handles fantastically, but could be easily done and trimming the dead coils won't affect the spring at all except to shorten it at full droop. The rear swaybar would stop the down travel well before the coil ever dropped off the tower so there is plenty of room to trim and it's not a load bearing part of the coil at static ride height.

Hope that helps anybody on the fence with these coils.
Big Shasta likes this.

'04 Sequoia - Princess in Progress
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 09:14 AM
Lurking Member

I'm getting ready to install 5100s front and rear as well as OME 862 and 885s. Wanting 5100 set at top notch. Do you think I need new UCAs and or differential drop kit?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

I think with OME 2885 up front you want the 5100's on the bottom notch - otherwise you'll get a lot more lift up front then rear.

Also, I would do the OME shocks and struts to go with their springs if you haven't already bought the Bilstein.

But yes, diff drop and you'll probably want UCA's for caster correction as well as getting larger tires back in the wheel well for clearance.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 10:51 AM
Lurking Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naytree View Post
I think with OME 2885 up front you want the 5100's on the bottom notch - otherwise you'll get a lot more lift up front then rear.

Also, I would do the OME shocks and struts to go with their springs if you haven't already bought the Bilstein.

But yes, diff drop and you'll probably want UCA's for caster correction as well as getting larger tires back in the wheel well for clearance.
I have not bought the 5100s yet. Why OME shocks and struts? Do you know which part number or model?

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

The 5100's on the top notch have overly pre-compressed the factory spring - it will for example pretty much bounce over stuff and for IFS is pretty crappy performing. The solid axle front on my 80 series handles angled expansion joints way better, and it's on 37's. The Sequoia gets badly jarred and the VSC goes nuts.

OME 90004 strut plus 2885 spring provide a longer spring with a higher spring rate (you aren't gaining lift by moving the spring up on the strut and compressing it), so the spring is doing more of the work than the pre-compression.

5100's in the rear are for a FJ Cruiser - the Sequoia rear imparts a lot of feedback and tends to wallow, so being under valved shows up like crazy. The rear shock is for a 100 series Land Cruiser (UZJ100) and is 60002.

Having said this, the 2885 is still going to get reasonably pre-compressed and may still suffer some issues (that stuff is designed for a 2nd gen Tacoma with extra weight like a winch (IIRC)).

I'm starting to look into coilovers like the ICON 58625 extended length since I already have aftermarket UCAs. I think this is the only way to achieve 2.5-3" of front lift without taking the spring out of its sweet spot by pre-compressing it. You open up the wallet there, but in my view once you get past just leveling the front, it's too much performance compromise to use a strut to gain the lift.

I'd still go OME, though, comparing direct to Bilstein, purely on the basis of matching a bolt on rear OME suspension and the longer spring with higher spring rate vs. the super compressed factory spring on the Billy at top notch (I liked the Bilstein at ride level function at 3rd notch).

The whole problem stems from needing more rear coil if you carry load, and there are no stock height replacement coils. The rear lift forces the full front 2.5" and you hit the suspension performance issue at that point. Hence just starting on day one with aftermarket UCA and coilovers.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 08:32 PM
Lurking Member

Thanks for the detailed reply. I am a bit lost now.

My main goal is to improve suspension and handling on gravel pit hole logging roads. Also to dress up the looks with 2 inch lift or so, and fit some 275 or 285s.

I thought everyone liked the OME could in rear and 5100s all around....

I can't afford coil overs and UCAs..

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarktar View Post
Thanks for the detailed reply. I am a bit lost now.

My main goal is to improve suspension and handling on gravel pit hole logging roads. Also to dress up the looks with 2 inch lift or so, and fit some 275 or 285s.

I thought everyone liked the OME could in rear and 5100s all around....

I can't afford coil overs and UCAs..

Got it. I tend to really want to dial things in, so take my previous post with that grain of salt.

Looking back at your first post, you said you planned to do the 2885 front coils. Definitely go OME all the way around, because your Bilstein 5100 struts will be at the lowest rung anyway. Here's a link the complete OME setup I'd mentioned earlier using the 60020 shock.

2000-2007 Toyota Sequoia Suspension Kit - 2" Lift by Old Man Emu (LR-OMESEQ00LKSB) - Suspension Kits - 1999-2006 Tundra | 2000-2007 Sequoia - Toyota Parts

I use the 60002, the difference is that shock is for the 100 series Land Cruiser 1.5" lift and the 60020 is for the 80 series 2" lift, both are the lighter duty valving, which will still be heavy as OME makes stuff assuming you have aftermarket bumpers and such.

The 2862 is a stock height 80 series coil, so that might be why they choose the 80 series shock, but the Sequoia is basically a 100 series rear and Tundra front so that's why I went with 60002. You could compare specs, I doubt it matters - the 60020 is probably longer just knowing the 80 series vs. 100 series Land Cruiser.

Hope that helps, sorry for the extra confusion

Last edited by naytree; 05-10-2017 at 05:51 AM.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 07:34 AM
Lurking Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naytree View Post
Got it. I tend to really want to dial things in, so take my previous post with that grain of salt.

Looking back at your first post, you said you planned to do the 2885 front coils. Definitely go OME all the way around, because your Bilstein 5100 struts will be at the lowest rung anyway. Here's a link the complete OME setup I'd mentioned earlier using the 60020 shock.

2000-2007 Toyota Sequoia Suspension Kit - 2" Lift by Old Man Emu (LR-OMESEQ00LKSB) - Suspension Kits - 1999-2006 Tundra | 2000-2007 Sequoia - Toyota Parts

I use the 60002, the difference is that shock is for the 100 series Land Cruiser 1.5" lift and the 60020 is for the 80 series 2" lift, both are the lighter duty valving, which will still be heavy as OME makes stuff assuming you have aftermarket bumpers and such.

The 2862 is a stock height 80 series coil, so that might be why they choose the 80 series shock, but the Sequoia is basically a 100 series rear and Tundra front so that's why I went with 60002. You could compare specs, I doubt it matters - the 60020 is probably longer just knowing the 80 series vs. 100 series Land Cruiser.

Hope that helps, sorry for the extra confusion
Ok, thanks! That helps a bunch. So I guess I will just have OME coils and shocks. Why does everyone go with rear OME coils and 5100s all around? Thanks for all the help!
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 08:12 AM
Lurking Member

Well, fingers crossed this will be the kit I am wanting. I just placed the order. I was able to have them substitute 60002 for the 60020. They are also assembling the struts for free, and free shipping. Got the while shebang for 800.00 out the door! I think they worked with me no price as I found a few typos on their webpage.

I just wonder if I can install this stuff myself!
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:56 AM
Lurking Member

Garage

Hmmmm.... thats funny in your previous post I thought you liked the 5100s and 2862 setup. What happen? Anyways I have my 5100 set on top notch with the stock coils and I loved it. Lots of people do as well. Does not bounce like you mention sharper handling less body roll no more nose dive when braking hard like stock. I haven't tow anything yet so I don't know how it handles under towing.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarktar View Post
Well, fingers crossed this will be the kit I am wanting. I just placed the order. I was able to have them substitute 60002 for the 60020. They are also assembling the struts for free, and free shipping. Got the while shebang for 800.00 out the door! I think they worked with me no price as I found a few typos on their webpage.

I just wonder if I can install this stuff myself!
Congrats, and yes, you can install it by yourself (have the right tools, make sure you are using jack stands and tire blocks for safety). There are a few challenges - the upper bolts on the rear shocks are a huge pain to get to and it's helpful to know some tricks like unbolting the rear swaybar to install the springs. The lower bolt for the struts can be tough - use a socket extension to pound it back through if it doesn't want to come out easily. Having a helper...helps :-).

Let us know how you like it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page