Sequoia undercarriage Rust - Page 7

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Sequoia undercarriage Rust

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Sequoia undercarriage Rust

Quote Originally Posted by kgilbertsen View Post
    I just got a phone call from the dealer where I bought my '01 SR5 (203k miles) telling me of this rust issue. Is there any way for me to know if I will be getting a new frame vs what sounds like a spray-on sealer? They wanted to get me in ASAP, so I scheduled it for tonight. They said it would only take a day or two, so it sounds like they aren't planning on replacing the frame.

Suggestions on how I should proceed would be appreciated.
    I am also from Chicago - Northern Suburbs, please keep us posted. Also, which dealership did you go for inspection?

Thanks,
    Redge

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I took mine into My local Toyota dealer last Thursday for the inspection. They found a hole on the right rear inside of the frame right where the hitch mounts. I think I been damn lucky as I have towed a 4000# camper all summer and it didn't let go.
    Anyways they called me yesterday and told me it was approved for the frame replacement. They were going to order the frame and said it would be about 5 weeks for it to come in. They will call to set it up when the frame arrives.
    Thank You Toyota.
    01 Sequoia SR5 4X4
    True dual exhaust wih 17656 Thrush mufflers
    Spare tire mounted in rear cargo area
    K&N air filter
    JVC cd player with USB
    Bullbar w/100 watt 4" aircraft lights

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by ducaudi View Post
    I am also from Chicago - Northern Suburbs, please keep us posted. Also, which dealership did you go for inspection?

Thanks,
    Redge
    My dealer is Planet Toyota in a far south suburb (Matteson, IL). I have not had the vehicle in yet - am taking over there tonight.

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo113 View Post
    I took mine into My local Toyota dealer last Thursday for the inspection. They found a hole on the right rear inside of the frame right where the hitch mounts. I think I been damn lucky as I have towed a 4000# camper all summer and it didn't let go.
    Anyways they called me yesterday and told me it was approved for the frame replacement. They were going to order the frame and said it would be about 5 weeks for it to come in. They will call to set it up when the frame arrives.
    Thank You Toyota.
    So, you didn't know beforehand what kind of shape the frame was in, right? I haven't looked at my undercarriage at all since learning of this issue earlier today. Your dealer actually just told you that they needed to replace the frame? They didn't need any prodding to do that? But I guess it really doesn't matter to the dealer - this whole issue should actually be a money maker for them, right, since Toyota will be covering the cost of repairs/replacement? Do I understand that correctly?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

So, you didn't know beforehand what kind of shape the frame was in, right? I haven't looked at my undercarriage at all since learning of this issue earlier today. Your dealer actually just told you that they needed to replace the frame? They didn't need any prodding to do that? But I guess it really doesn't matter to the dealer - this whole issue should actually be a money maker for them, right, since Toyota will be covering the cost of repairs/replacement? Do I understand that correctly?

I knew there was surface rust but didn't think it was that bad. Looks like they used a pick hammer on the frame. Painted it yellow and took pics to send to Toyota. I didn't have to do anything. They told me I was getting the replacement frame. He told me it cost aprox. 11k to replace the frame. They also told me that if they found other things wrong they would call me first and offer to fix it at a discount rate. We'll see how that goes. LOL
    01 Sequoia SR5 4X4
    True dual exhaust wih 17656 Thrush mufflers
    Spare tire mounted in rear cargo area
    K&N air filter
    JVC cd player with USB
    Bullbar w/100 watt 4" aircraft lights

Liked
    1 times

Well, I got the call this afternoon from the dealer letting me know the vehicle didn't need a new frame and that it is ready to be picked up. They treated the frame with whatever they use to prevent it from rusting any further. They mentioned that they need to replace the spare tire structure, but that part is currently out of stock - so I'll be back to the dealer for that install soon.
    Gonzo113 likes this.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Anybody in VA get their notice yet? Im still waiting.

Mike

Liked
    0 times

I see a bunch of fellow Massachusetts (Rustachusetts?) forum members here. What dealers are you going to for rust repair/frame replacement? I used to go to Acton Toyota, but their Service Department is terrible. They have denied legit warrantee claims, lied to my face, rude, etc, etc.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Has anyone actually succeeded in getting toyota to just buy back a sequoia that has rust perforation? Also, it seems this Limited Service Campaign has hit minnesota. I have an appt with a local dealership tomorrow. Here is a pic from the website- note that the wording has changed---
    "If an authorized dealer confirms the frame has significant rust perforation*, an appropriate remedy will be provided."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toyota recall.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	156.5 KB 
ID:	91971

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Let us know how it goes stormwind. I'm in Minnesota too but have not received any notice...and Toyota magically deleted my Sequoia from my Toyota owners account. I re-added it but Toyota said there were no recalls/bulletins...which obviously is not the case.

Liked
    11 times

I am the second owner of my Sequoia and as far as I know it has always been in the south east. Should I be worried about this issue? I crawled under and noticed a little bit of rust but I just figured it was normal for a 12 year old vehicle. Would my truck even be covered since it has never been in the northeast?
    Last edited by Daniel Day; 11-27-2012 at 07:14 AM.
    2001 Sequoia SR5- Satin Black wheels with 285/70/17 Goodyear MT-Rs, Daystar 3/2 lift kit and Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers.

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Day View Post
    I am the second owner of my Sequoia and as far as I know it has always been in the south east. Should I be worried about this issue? I crawled under and noticed a little bit of rust but I just figured it was normal for a 12 year old vehicle. Would my truck even be covered since it has never been in the northeast?
    My guess would be that every Sequoia in the model years they mention in the recall would eventually be notified and included, since there's no way for Toyota to know how and where it's been driven. My frame was plenty rusty, which, like you said, is to be expected after 12 years. I'm still waiting to hear from the dealer about the spare tire assembly that needs replacing - they didn't have one in stock when I had the vehicle in for the inspection/treatment of the frame.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I received the "Limited Service Campaign" for my 2001 Sequoia SR5 4x2, 175K miles. Original owner. I had been concerned over the frame rust and over the years even sprayed black rust-oleum...obviously didn't work.

At dropoff, I requested they let me know what the course of action was BEFORE they took action since the Campaign Letter led me to believe they might automatically apply CRC.

Anyway, Toyota inspected it and the next day called and said there were holes in the frame and it would need replaced. Good news for me since I would like to put another 100K on it.

Couple of things;
    1) they indicated some parts MIGHT need to be replaced if broken during the process...I understand and at their recommendation will put a limit on it in writing.

2) They asked if I wanted to proceed with the repair or just come get the vehicle? This confused me...I mean what options do I have? It's not sellable in this condition (holes in frame) and as my daily "doitall" vehicle it will eventually fall apart without proper repair.

I am glad thus far with Toyota's response (overdue). The local service people are being very nice...and explaining everything including their recent experiences with the other frame replacement they did and possible issues.

Hopefully I can get away with maybe just the shocks repaired...maybe brakes also but I know the Sequoia underneath is dry...no leaks and runs like a champ (had timing belt replace a few thousand miles ago).
    Last edited by dmillikan; 11-27-2012 at 07:45 AM.

Liked
    11 times

My guess would be that every Sequoia in the model years they mention in the rcecall would eventually be notified and included, since there's no way for Toyota to know how and where it's been driven. My frame was plenty rusty, which, like you said, is to be expected after 12 years. I'm still waiting to hear from the dealer about the spare tire assembly that needs replacing - they didn't have one in stock when I had the vehicle in for the inspection/treatment of the frame.
    Okay, thanks. So do I need to just take it up there or do I have to wait for an official letter or what?
    2001 Sequoia SR5- Satin Black wheels with 285/70/17 Goodyear MT-Rs, Daystar 3/2 lift kit and Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Day View Post
    Okay, thanks. So do I need to just take it up there or do I have to wait for an official letter or what?
    Dont need paper work since it is based on vehicle serial #.
    Id just call them up and ask them to check your vehicle num.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast