Sequoia undercarriage Rust - Page 8

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Sequoia undercarriage Rust

Liked
    1 times

Default Re: Sequoia undercarriage Rust

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Day View Post
    Okay, thanks. So do I need to just take it up there or do I have to wait for an official letter or what?
    You can also go to Toyota Owners Official Website: Service Coupons, Owners Manuals, Service Scheduling and More and register your vehicle. You'll need the VIN. It will tell you if you've been recalled yet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    11 times

Thank you. I registered it and found no recalls at the time. I did however find some interesting maintenance records that I had not seen before. Thanks for the heads up.
    2001 Sequoia SR5- Satin Black wheels with 285/70/17 Goodyear MT-Rs, Daystar 3/2 lift kit and Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Toyota called me back tonight, said the frame failed inspection and will need to be replaced. I argued my case with them that i'd rather them buy back the toyota. They stated they have no option to do so. I called toyota customer care and will be hearing from a case manager in the next day. I will keep you all posted.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

No such luck, they are replacing the frame- no exceptions. They refuse to buy it back.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I got my car back a week or two ago. New shiny black frame under a weathered body - looks a little strange.

It took my dealer (Woburn Toyota - great service) 6 weeks to get it done. Didn't mind the wait one bit, as they even changed my Tundra loaner to a 2012 Sequoia with 2000 miles on it! Nice.

They also recommended additional work on the car. I declined all. Wanted to see the condition of the car before putting any more money into it. I will do more repairs now that I have confirmed that the car drives nice.

250K now. Hoping for 350K.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Oh, and by the way, the assessed price of the work was $11K. My service advisor showed the itemized invoice to me. I don't know how they work the financials internally, but if anyone walked in without a recall and wanted a frame replaced, it would cost $11K.

Since the Kelley Book value of my car is $6K or $7K, that means corporate Toyota probably pays dealers less than that to replace the frame. Otherwise, as a technician told me, corporate Toyota realizes they won't be too successful buying cars back from customers, and they have to cover their butt for accident lawsuits.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Sorry for the discretized logging. Putting them up while they are in my mind.

While picking up my car, I asked the service advisor if they have been seeing a lot of frame replacement cases. He kinda laughed a little, and told me to look along the fence as I drive out. Lo and behold, as I was driving out, I saw a dozen or so aging Sequoias parked along the fence, and new frames stacked up at one end. And I bet that number is limited by the number of loaners they have.

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Wow! I registered on the Toyota website and found a "Recall Alert" for my '01 Sequoia Limited. It reads as follows; I guess I'll take it in to have it checked:

This is a Limited Service Campaign. Please contact an authorized Toyota Dealer and make an appointment to have this campaign completed before 7/31/14. This campaign covers vehicles currently registered in CT DE IL IN KY MA MD ME MI MN NH NJ NY OH PA RI VA VT WI WV & D.C.

Condition: Certain 01–04 MY Sequoia vehicles operated in specific cold climate areas with high road salt use, may exhibit more than normal corrosion to the frame.

An authorized dealer will inspect the frame. If significant rust perforation is not found*, corrosion–resistant compounds (CRC) will be applied to key areas of the frame. The inspection will also include a check of the spare tire carrier. If the carrier meets the inspection criteria*, CRC will be applied to the carrier's lift plate. If the carrier does not, it will be replaced.

If an authorized dealer confirms the frame has significant rust perforation*, an appropriate remedy will be provided.

*Based on Toyota's criteria

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I haven't posted here for about a year. Thanks to all who have been contributing. 2002 Sequoia, 240,000 miles. Live in MN. I have not received the recall letter from Toyota but I looked at the Toyota owners' website per advice from this forum. I don't specifically recall registering there but apparently I did it some years ago. The owners' web site officially informed me of the recall. I called three local dealerships and decided on Rudy Luther Toyota in Golden Valley, MN. All three would likely have been good. I asked if they had any hesitation pulling the trigger if a new frame was needed. They said they had replaced frames on Tundras but none yet on Sequoias. I think the recall is pretty new in Minnesota. They said if it needs a new frame it will get a new frame. I was hoping for a new frame but it wasn't to be. They got me in for the inspection the next day. They provided the loaner and they've had my vehicle for two days now. The frame passed inspection and they applied the CRC on the second day after doing the prep work. I'll pick it up tomorrow. Here's hoping this allows it to make it to 300,000 or more. The pig still feels new to me. Thanks again.

Liked
    0 times

Well, this is interesting. Nothing on the Sequoia recall mentioned on this board, but they are recalling 01-04 tacomas for the spare tire restraint due to corrosion. What gives?

Toyota | Toyota Announces Voluntary Safety Recall of Certain 2001 to 2004 Model Year Tacoma Vehicles
    2004 Sequoia
    2005 Acura RL
    1993 Porsche 968
    1986 Porsche 911 Targa

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Hello, all. I am just finding out about this rust issue now. I was thinking of upgrading my stereo and thought, before I do that, I should address a couple of minor exterior cosmetic issues, went to search for a good local body shop, only to end up coming across this thread - much to my dismay!! New stereo on hold for now!

I, too, bought my 2003 Sequoia used. I live in Toronto, Canada. Plenty of salt used here. I always noticed rust on the underside, but as this was my first truck, I didn't think too much of it - I thought perhaps it was normal. I just crawled underneath today and, while I don't see any perforations, I do see giant flakes coming off everywhere. I called Toyota Canada this morning to register with "club Toyota" along with my VIN. During the call, she took a moment to look up my VIN herself and told me there were no outstanding campaigns for my vehicle. I mentioned I'd read of the problem on the internet..... blah, blah, blah - "there are no campaigns for you vehicle". I then found this recall for the Tundra on the Transport Canada website (the Canadian equivalent of the NHTSA):

link: Road Safety Recalls Database

Recall Date 2009/11/17
    Notification Type Safety Mfr
    System Structure
    Manufacturer Recall Number 924
    Units Affected 9,722
    Category Light Truck & Van
    Recall Details On certain vehicles operated in areas of heavy road salt usage, excessive corrosion of the rear cross member may cause separation of the spare tire stowed under the truck bed. Corrosion of the rear cross member may also affect the functionality of the rear brake line at the proportioning valve. A spare tire that separates during vehicle usage could impact nearby persons or objects resulting in personal injury and/or vehicle and property damage. Correction: Dealers will inspect the rear cross member and surrounding components and, depending on the amount of corrosion detected, either apply a corrosion-resistant compound or replace the cross member assembly.

So, my questions:
    - has anyone from Canada had this issue and, if so, what have they done to resolve it?
    - can I assume that my Sequoia was manufactured in the same plant with frames sourced from the same supplier as those in the U.S.?
    - any Canadian-law savvy folks who can give me some advice on how to chase this down with Toyota?
    - should I go ahead and get an inspection done right away or wait until I get some sense that Toyota will take some kind of responsability for this? (I don't want to go in and have them do a half-assed inspection and tell me everything is okay when it isn't and then not want to deal with me again later)

Any and all insight is appreciated. In the mean time, I have a neighbour up the street who also owns a 1st gen. Sequoia. I'll knock on his door and ask if I can take a peek at his undercarriage. (I know, I know..... THAT'S WHAT HE SAID!) I'll try and post pictures of both soon in hopes of getting some owners' opinions on how bad my/our corrosion is.

EDIT: some pics of my frame: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0050.JPG 
Views:	326 
Size:	230.2 KB 
ID:	92375Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0042.JPG 
Views:	420 
Size:	281.2 KB 
ID:	92373Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0041.JPG 
Views:	294 
Size:	186.2 KB 
ID:	92372Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0046.JPG 
Views:	457 
Size:	235.6 KB 
ID:	92374

I should point out that this truck had Ziebart rust proofing done by original owner. What that entailed exactly, I don't know, but when I've had it "touched up", they only spray clear goopy stuff on body parts - door jambs, etc.

Cheers from north of the 49th parallel.
    Last edited by jollygreengiant; 12-12-2012 at 11:03 AM. Reason: adding pics

Liked
    0 times

hmmmn, good to know they ARE doing something up here north of the border after all. My truck was originally an Ontario truck. Overall things don't look too bad under there from what I can tell on my 03 but I never specifically looked at rear crossmember area. time for another look. thanks for the info!

Supporter
    Liked
    2 times

Hello all, it is official, 2001-2004 Sequoia frames are under recall. Mine is at the dealer, the frame will be there in about 2 weeks. As someone stated in an earlier post, go to Toyota Owners Official Website: Service Coupons, Owners Manuals, Service Scheduling and More and register your vehicle, then you will see the recall.
    I tow a 6000 lb camper with my family in the Sequoia. If I had seen the holes in my frame, I would have never endangered my family.
    -----------PLEASE ACT UPON THIS NOW BEFORE SOMETHING REALLY BAD HAPPENS-------------------

Charlie

Supporter
    Liked
    2 times

----------------------------Here is the recall------------------------------

Limited Service Campaign C0D (Specific 20 Cold Climate States Only) - Corrosion-Resistant Compound Application to the Vehicle's Frame
    This is a Limited Service Campaign. Please contact an authorized Toyota Dealer and make an appointment to have this campaign completed before 7/31/14. This campaign covers vehicles currently registered in CT DE IL IN KY MA MD ME MI MN NH NJ NY OH PA RI VA VT WI WV & D.C.

Condition: Certain 01–04 MY Sequoia vehicles operated in specific cold climate areas with high road salt use, may exhibit more than normal corrosion to the frame.

An authorized dealer will inspect the frame. If significant rust perforation is not found*, corrosion–resistant compounds (CRC) will be applied to key areas of the frame. The inspection will also include a check of the spare tire carrier. If the carrier meets the inspection criteria*, CRC will be applied to the carrier's lift plate. If the carrier does not, it will be replaced.

If an authorized dealer confirms the frame has significant rust perforation*, an appropriate remedy will be provided.

*Based on Toyota's criteria

C0D

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by sequoiachas View Post
    Hello all, it is official, 2001-2004 Sequoia frames are under recall. Mine is at the dealer, the frame will be there in about 2 weeks. As someone stated in an earlier post, go to Toyota Owners Official Website: Service Coupons, Owners Manuals, Service Scheduling and More and register your vehicle, then you will see the recall.
    I tow a 6000 lb camper with my family in the Sequoia. If I had seen the holes in my frame, I would have never endangered my family.
    -----------PLEASE ACT UPON THIS NOW BEFORE SOMETHING REALLY BAD HAPPENS-------------------

Charlie
    WOW,really,Oh My God...........
    Welcome to Oct 5 2012 page #5 of the thread,post #73 Sequoia undercarriage Rust
    Campaign has been open for over 2 months and quite a few members have had/ are having their frames replaced already but thanks for the news flash. Some states it has not been opened up in as of yet but click on the link I provided you with and read from there.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast