Sequoia undercarriage Rust

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 17 12345611 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Sequoia undercarriage Rust

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Default Sequoia undercarriage Rust

Surprised no one is talking about Tundra rust recall and why Sequoia is not in scope? My 2002 Ltd has lots of rust under the spare tire and trailer hitch. I replaced rear brakes few months ago since they were almost rusted through. Seems this should be part of recall? Any comments? From Massachusetts where we use lots of road salt.
    mikegrasso likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

sp04342

Default Re: Sequoia undercarriage Rust

The tundras and tacomas were recalled for frame rust due to using inferior metal which rusted from the inside out and by the time it was visible it was too late, it was typically right between the cab and bed which could cause the truck to buckle into 2 pieces which could result in a castostrophic crash. Your 8 year old sequoia which is rusted behind the rear wheels is a result of 8 winters of you driving in Mass where the northeast salts heavily and has now switched to calcium chloride which is like acid to metal. It is no fault of toyota for the state you live in using these corrosives.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

I just looked under my rear of my 01 Sequoia and also notice the amount of surface rust accumulating. My Sequoia lived mostly its life in San Diego, CA. and just recently I moved to Spokane Wa. I think it's the thin use of undercarriage paint. I plan on going underneath and repainting it with chasse paint.

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Aren't the sequoia and Tundra built on the same assembly line, and probably use the same steel for the frame? Seems logical to me that they would have the same kind of undercarriage rust problems.
    Thanks for comments.

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Have you contacted Toyota yet? If not, please call 800-331-4331 and start a case with Toyota. I have a 2001 and was told today that my car is unsafe to drive because the frame is so rusty. The Sequoia is built on the same frame as the Tundra, but I don't think enough people have filed a claim yet. I've also contacted the NHTSA as well as the Attorney General, Channel 5 and Channel 7. They told me it wasn't safe to drive and handed me the keys. The guy with the Tundra next to me had the same issue and was given a loaner vehicle and will either receive a new frame or book value for his vehicle.
    mikegrasso likes this.

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Not true! It's the same issue as the 2001 - 2003 Tundra, poor quality steel and improper undercoating when the vehicle was built. This was confirmed during a Channel 5 (boston) investigation, but......

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Please file a claim with Toyota 800-331-4331 and the NHTSA. Toyota will only respond if enough claims are filed.

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

take it to your dealer to have them determine whether or not it's safe to drive. Many of them are not.

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

If you've been told that your Sequoia is unsafe to drive due to excessive frame rust and you are receiving no satisfaction from Toyota please contact WCVB Channel 5 if in the Boston area; they are very interested in these cases. My interview with them is scheduled for today.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Toyota seems to have some MAJOR problems with quality recently...I don't think they can afford more bad news now that they have millions of cars recalled due to the sitcky gas pedal issue. Frame rust is a pretty serious issue. I'd be pushing this one pretty hard.

My 2004 has what I would call more than normal rust on the underside of the vehicle but it's all solid. I plan on getting under there and doing some scuffing to take off the flakes and then paint with a rust converter followed by chassis paint. Consider it good PM for a northeast vehicle.

Good luck with your issue.

JP

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by mconnors68 View Post
    If you've been told that your Sequoia is unsafe to drive due to excessive frame rust and you are receiving no satisfaction from Toyota please contact WCVB Channel 5 if in the Boston area; they are very interested in these cases. My interview with them is scheduled for today.
    I am glad you too are stepping up to help out Sequioa owners. I hope your interview went well. Susan and her staff were great to me when I interviewed about the Tundras back in April 09. I emailed her a copy of my NHTSA complaint and told her about Toyota's response to my complaint (nothing). Even though I had traded in my rusty 2000 on a 2006 Tundra in Feb 09, I still did the interview when they called me. I can't complain about the results, although it isn't clear exactly what Toyota is doing for those with wiped out frames. From what I read tonight they are buying them, but for only about $7000-10000.

When the NHTSA rep called me in August I told him about my spare falling down and that they were going to lose someone driving behind a Tundra someday soon. He told me about some guy whose spare dropped and he hit it with the trailer he was pulling. I think that guy is also posting here. It was things like that which put it over the top. It is one thing to f consumers over...it is another to kill them because spare tires are dropping off or brakes are failing due to the rust. That is what NHTSA is for. File your complaint today!

Regarding my 2006, I have sprayed the frame down with fluid film and wash it often. I plan to drop the spare in the spring and give it a really good wash and hit it with the fluid film again.

Liked
    4 times
    Images

I have an 02' with 120k miles, and NO frame rust. I had a couple replacement sway bar end-links (Moog) installed, and they were the only thing rusty I had on the bottom of the Sequoia besides an exhaust clamp. I think it must have something to do with where you live, and salty moist air or something??
    Last edited by big-o; 02-05-2010 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Typo
    Anotherflyer likes this.

Liked
    1 times

I had my Sequoia's undercarriage sprayed with that rust proofing spray when I bought her, at the time I was pissed because I felt I just blew my money. After reading all this stuff, now I'm glad I got her done.
    Anotherflyer likes this.

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Is anyone else having trouble with excessive frame rust on their 01-03 Sequoia?

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Toyota is replacing the frame under my 01 Sequoia...the first one to be replaced on their dime! It took 4 months of frustrating phone calls, the Mass Atty Generals office, a letter from our attorney, but Toyota is finally prepared to do the right thing! If you find yourself in this position, be persistent and don't give up.

Page 1 of 17 12345611 ... LastLast