Does anyone have a diagram of the rear parking brake assembly?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Does anyone have a diagram of the rear parking brake assembly?

Liked
    3 times

Default Does anyone have a diagram of the rear parking brake assembly?

I'm re-doing my rear brakes (2003 2WD Sequioa) (new rotors, pads, and shoes for the parking brake). What a pain! Anyways, I'd really love a diagram of the parking brake assembly so I can be sure I'm placing all the springs in the right places. I didn't take good notes of it when I was disassembling. I just don't want to run out and buy a service manual just for this one small thing (not that I know if a Chilton's would have such a diagram)... Anyone?

Thx!
    Last edited by perpetualjon; 01-07-2010 at 03:31 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

sp04342

Default Re: Does anyone have a diagram of the rear parking brake assembly?

turbolagho had posted an excellent picture in a previous thread about sqeaking rear brakes, here's the link.

2002 Sequoia squeaking rear brakes

Liked
    3 times

That page shows only one photo and it's for a rear drum assembly. What I have is a disk assembly with a parking braking drum inside of that...
    Here's a diagram I found that is taken from the Chilton's manual (Chilton's SUV Manual 2003):

I've highlighted one of the "mystery springs" that I've got no idea where to attach...

sp04342

The rear drum is the parking brake, all sequoia have 4 wheel disc brakes, the photo in the link I sent you was the pic with the disc removed of the spring you have in question.

Liked
    3 times

Actually, that's not even close to what I have. Here's a shot of my rear brake frame with the disk removed:

Here's a shot from below showing a bracket that I believe the "anchor spring" attaches to:

Now, here's that same diagram I obtained from Tradebit here for about $12 (350 MB PDF download). As it turns out, it's the exact SAME diagram as the one in the Chilton's manual --but with much better instructions as well as the adjustment procedure which I found rather important to have. Anyways, I took that diagram and tweaked it a bit to better illustrate how it all goes together (at least as far as I can tell). Mind you, I guess it helps that I'm a technical illustrator by trade!

My main concern is how the anchor spring attaches to the shoe as well as how the "tension spring" attaches. The new shoes I have are missing a hole (as I point out above) and if I attach it to the points shown in blue above, it looks like it may interfere with the adjuster --no matter which side I hook the spring on (front or back). Now it may sit differently once it's all mounted in the frame but I'm just not sure right now. Has anyone got an idea if I'm on the right track with this and how I should attach these two springs?

Liked
    3 times

Ok, this has got to be one of the worst designs I've ever worked on --and I've had my fair share of terrible holes with no access before. I will definitely be handing this over to a shop the next time I've got this sort of work to be done! The maintenance savings just isn't worth it...

With that said, I've got some more clear issues now. Here's an image of the problem area:

I've got the tension spring located where I think it goes (per the diagram above) and it rubs against the adjuster. I don't know if it is supposed to do that or not. Maybe it's a small way of preventing the adjuster from moving while driving but it seems to me that having to metal parts touching each other like that on an unsprung part of suspension is a recipe for wear more than anything else...

Also, the anchor spring is pulling the whole shoe assembly off-center to the point that I can't even mount the drum/disk to make my adjustments. In fact, if I hold the shoe assembly down with a screwdriver and try and slip the drum/disk on that way, it winds-up unable to rotate after that.

Here's another illustration of what's going on:

I have roughly placed the two springs in this shot. The anchor spring and the tension spring both connect to the same point on the rear shoe. It looks like originally there was an additional hole for it to use but they're both pretty much in the same place so I can see why it is no longer there. I'm still just not sure I've installed everything correctly. Something is definitely wrong here. Can anyone guide me to what I'm doing wrong?

Liked
    3 times

Ok, nevermind the off-center problem. I'm just an idiot and didn't think that the parking brake could have actually been left depressed!! So, now I'm off to adjust the brakes. Please let me know if anyone thinks I've got a problem with the tension spring chaffing against the adjuster!!

Liked
    3 times

Well, I managed to get everything done. What a hellish experience! I'm surely able to do this job again without much difficulty but it sure was a terrible journey. Next time I will make sure I'm doing it with another set of hands too. I'm going to post a guide in another thread so people doing this work in the future will have a decent guide. Thanks everyone for all your help (and for many of the previous posts that also helped me here).

Liked
    0 times

when you post the guide please link me I need to replace the shoes on my sequoia
    2001 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4x4

MODS: Pioneer AVIC-D3 Navi w/ backup camera and bluetooth/ipod controller, TRD Headers, TRD Catback Exhaust, TRD replica grill

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by Crewmax_hopeful View Post
    when you post the guide please link me I need to replace the shoes on my sequoia
    I sure will. I'm still cleaning up the diagrams but I took a few days off after this job to just chill for a while and calm down! I'll probably have it up and published in the next 1-2 days...

Liked
    3 times

Well, here's what I've got so far. I'm still writing up the step by step instructions but here's the heavily modified exploded view diagram of the parking brake assembly. Let me know if there's anything on this that doesn't make sense or could be improved...

Liked
    3 times

Ok, I just posted my detailed photos, diagrams, and instructions for doing this job on the TundraSolutions form here. I'd love to get your input on anything I may be missing or have wrong. Thx everyone!