Passenger side seat belt light

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Passenger side seat belt light

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Passenger side seat belt light

Recently I noticed that the passenger side seat belt light sometimes is flashing, sometimes is not (when is not buckled). Anyone else has such problem?

My vehicle is 2003 SR5.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1 times
    Images

There is a weight sensor located in the seat bottom.

Do/Did you have anything on the seat, a gallon of milk, back pack, magazines etc? Any of those could cause the seat belt light to flash.
    1996 T100, 203,000 and counting

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

It happens when someone is sitting on and not buckled up. Also the gas gauge is not pointed to FULL when the gas is full. It used to point to FULL.

They are not big deal, just annoying.

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Originally posted by peanutlen
    It happens when someone is sitting on and not buckled up.
    That is what it is supposed to do! It is telling them to put on their seat belt. Yours does it too in the instrument cluster!

I don't have any idea about the gas gauge, mine always reads over "F" when I leave the gas station.
    1996 T100, 203,000 and counting

Liked
    0 times

but I dont think the drivers side has a weight sensor, its just always on if the belt isnt buckled.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

thecarguy,

Yes, there is a sensor. My dealer just ordered the new part.

If you use hand to press on the passenger seat hard enought, you will find the flash light on and off even when no one sits on.

Liked
    0 times

no, im talking about the driver side, the light will always be on unless the belt is buckled. or at least its that way in my seq.

Liked
    0 times

These are just my thoughts on the subject. . .

The drivers side light does stay on if the belt isn't fastened. This is the typical newer vehicle reminder to buckle up.

On the other hand, the passenger side light flashes because the air bag can be activated and deactiviated with the ignition key. My thought is that since it can be deactivated for the purpose of installing a child seat up front, they (mothers, engineers, lawyers, bureaucrats, etc.) wanted the visual warning that the air bag system was on and that someone/thing is in the seat to be very obvious and annoying.

I too don't like the fact that stuff I ocassionally throw into the seat causes it to flash, but I do like the extra and obvious warning it provides.

Liked
    0 times

Default Air Bag Disable?

You mentioned you can disable the passenger airbag with the ignition key. How? I don't see a place to insert the key like my Tacoma has. On the Tacoma there is a panel with a key slot that says Passenger air bag on-off.

Liked
    0 times

Default On the tundras

The tundras have a disable switch on the right of the center console. The passenger seatbelt light is on the end right and a key switch is there to disable the air bag.

I asked a sequoia person the same question. Will let you know when I get an answer if you don't get one sooner.
    JOHN

Liked
    2 times

That switch is only on the pickups. The cut off is for children and if you are in a vehicle like the Sequoia, the safest place for a child is in the back seat.....thus no switch.
    2011 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 5.0L
    2013 Avalon Limited

Liked
    0 times

Whoops, I didn't even think about the differences. Thanks for corecting my error, and sorry for any confusion.

I wonder if Toyota just used the same set up for the warning lamps in both vehicles. Just another thought.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Passenger side seat belt light

So can you disable the flashing driver's side seat belt warning? just unplug the harness from under the driver's seat?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.