Toyota Tundra Forums banner

05 tundra amp turn on lead color

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Agent WD-40 
#1 ·
Does anybody know the color of the amp turn on lead fromt he HU to the amp on an 05 DC. Or, does somone have a diagram of the 20 pin connector. The color for the 04 and earlier is , I believe is pink, but the 05 does not have a pink wire.

Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
If you get a multi meter out just measure which pin goes to +12V when you turn the radio on. In the 00-02 I know the wire was pink. I was installing the stereo on my brothers 04 access cab with the "premium" stereo and the wire wasn't pink. In fact I couldn't find any wire that was switched with the head unit if I recall.

I was only looking at the 20 pin on the back of the head unit I believe. I think that you might be able to find the wire if you check some of the wires either going into or out of the external factory amp. It is located behind the HVAC controls in the Access Cab. It is a pretty hard place to get to.

I believe grey is the wire switched with the ACC position on the switch. You could use that wire as well. I know it is nicer to have all your gear turn on and off with the head unit instead of the key. If you don't have a multi meter you can snag one at Fry's for $10.

#4 ·
antman450 said:
I'll grab a multi meter. How do they work exactly. I am unfamiliar with them.
You plug the correct test leads (red and black) into the correct spot on the multi meter. Then turn the dial on the meter to what you want to measure. You can usually measure Voltage, current (in Amps), and resistance (in Ohms denoted
).

The dial will ususally have different settings for different powers of 10. Just pick the correct spot so the decimal will be in the right spot. For example 12 volts could read .012, 1.2, 12 or 120 depending on the spot you choose on the dial.

Once you set the dial take the two probe leads and poke the wires with the red one and keep the back one grounded. Grounding the back lead meas it just needs to be in contact with some unpainted metal surface of the truck.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I wasn't sure how much you know so I tried to cover the basics.

#5 ·
antman450 said:
Does anybody know the color of the amp turn on lead fromt he HU to the amp on an 05 DC. Or, does somone have a diagram of the 20 pin connector. The color for the 04 and earlier is , I believe is pink, but the 05 does not have a pink wire.

Thanks for the help.
The Wiring Diagrams can be found in the thread INFO: 2005 Tundra Wiring Diagrams (EWD) the layout and wiring of the 20 pin connector is included in the thread INFO: 2005 Tundra Audio System Information

#6 ·
Thanks nhparrot, but I could not figure out which one is the amp turn on lead in hte diagram.

As for the multimeter, I know how to use it so I guess I should have been more specific. Hoe do you "poke the wires" is really my question. Do I push the red one into the back of the harness in each spot until i find the one that reads 12 v and goes off with the radio?

THanks for the help, by the way.

#7 ·
antman450 said:
Thanks nhparrot, but I could not figure out which one is the amp turn on lead in hte diagram.

As for the multimeter, I know how to use it so I guess I should have been more specific. Hoe do you "poke the wires" is really my question. Do I push the red one into the back of the harness in each spot until i find the one that reads 12 v and goes off with the radio?

The Gray wire on the 20 pin will give you +12V with the ignition SW at ON or ACC position and acc cut relay not operated

#8 ·
antman450 said:

Yeah. I just poked it into the back of the plug and touched the metal pins. I had a feeling I was answering the wrong question but I wasn't sure what the real questoin might be. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.