Replacement Key... - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jason-Sequoia

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Replacement Key...

I just recently bought a 2006 Sequoia SR5 w 98k miles. Only issue which I didn't realize until I tried having a key made was the key that the small out of state dealer gave me was a valet key. When I took it to the Toyota dealership they said my only option was to replace the ECU & then get new keys made at a price of $576 plus tax! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Only key I have is a gray valet key. Just wondering if there are any for sure fixes to getting a reliable replacement key at a more reasonable price. Thank you all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 06:36 PM

Dealer is wrong, go back an speak with someone that knows what they are talking about or go to a different dealer. All they need to make a key is VIN and proof of ownership. No key needed.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

That's what I thought as well, however owners manual is in agreement with dealership & states exactly what Toyota dealership said. I was hoping there'd be away around it. Thanks for the help!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Ok. I tried another dealer. Now I have an extra key that will unlock the doors but it will not start my Sequoia. They attempted an immobilizer reset. Checked with Toyota in CA & said vehicle age exceeds parameters to allow reset process to work. I was told again ECU needs to be replaced if I want it repaired by Toyota. However Tech said there are places that will reset my suvs current ECU he just didn't know of any local places. Kinda of exhausting. Drove an hour to this place because they said they could fix it. However, I atleast have a way to get into the truck if I inadvertently lock valet key inside. Any help would still be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 10:21 PM
Rookie

Re: Replacement Key...

Have you tried any of the online procedures to program the key? I did it with m 2006 Sequoia SR5 but I had a master key. I don't know if it works with a valet key. But it's worth a shot. I can't remember the exact one I used but here is an example of one:

How to Program a Toyota Sequoia Chip Key | It Still Runs

More google hits: https://www.google.com/search?q=toyo...hrome&ie=UTF-8

It was kind of hard to get it right -- it took at least a couple of attempts before I got the whole pattern down and the new key worked. Amazon has replacement fobs (both a whole fob with innards and just a replacement outside for a worn fob).

Edit: actually, I didn't program a key. It was just the fobs. Sorry, it's been a while. So I haven't done it but it might work.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

I have not. I never had a master key when I purchased this Sequoia a month ago. Just the valet key. Toyota dealership made me a new master key yesterday. However it's only function at the present time is unlocking the doors. It will not start the car. Only turn it over. I could try the above using the valet key & then inserting the newly cut master to try & program master. Not sure if that would work but most likely wouldn't do any harm either. Any thoughts?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

That didn't work using the valet key & freshly cut master key. ?????
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 08:08 AM
Supercharged Member

Sorry but I don't buy what the dealer is saying. If they tell you that you must replace the ecu how will it learn your new key? Someone has to program a key and ecu to work together, so whats the difference between buying a new ecu and programming it or your current one? Maybe see if there is a lock smith in your area and ask them. It wont cost you a dime to call and ask.
What about where you purchased the Sequoia, did you buy from a dealer or was it a private sale? If it was a dealer I would be calling them and ask that they get hold of the previous owner and ask for the other keys. Its not uncommon for people to trade in a vehicle and just forget to hand in all the keys.

2012 Crewmax TRD 5.7, 4x4, 15% tint all around plus sunstrip. Ionic Gladiator running boards. Weathertechs front and rear. Line X, AVS vent visors. Viper 5301 2 way remote start, MBRP S5316304 cat back exhaust. Bakflip Fibermax tonneau cover.
Traded in my 05 4x4 DC, AFE CAI, Magnaflow Catback15820, Line X bedliner, Rampage Patriot running boards.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I've taken this Sequoia to two different Toyota dealerships. Same exact answer from both. Need a new ECU.
I bought the truck from a small used car dealer who had just purchased the vehicle from a local auction. Dealer is nearly 3 hrs away. Tomorrow I'm going to be calling local automotive locksmith's. To be continued...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:34 PM

Scary situation. My key is starting to deteriorate at the base and it will soon come apart. My wife's key works fine but that would leave us with a good key, a broken key, and a valet key. I vaguely recall that there is a maximum amount of keys that can be programmed before drastic measures (ECU?) have to be taken.

Did the dealer even attempt to make a dealer key ($200ish?) for you? I would ask them how they determined that it was "maxed out"... if averages are anything, the truck had the two original keys and the valet and that's it. If my foggy memory is anything, you may have two master/normal keys left on the tally to work with. Good luck. Keep us posted. I'm very suspicious of the ECU being called right off the bat.

"A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

"The BEAST"
2006 Sequoia SR5, 4WD
133K Miles
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

12 keys is what I have read. Both Toyota dealerships claims that due to its age they can not program it. I'd take a picture of work order if I knew how to post it. They are both identical & expensive. Locksmith is coming to the house in the morning. He says $500 & I'll have a new working master key. Plans on reflashing existing ECU. Then I can program a second one on my own using new master key. Dealership can cut you a new key for under $50 as long as you have a working master key. I only had a Valet key.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Locksmith came this morning. Gave me two options. Reflash exiting ECU & make a new master key for $500. Option 2 make a new valet key for $125. Toyota dealership would not do that. Said it wasn't even an option.

Automotive locksmith was at my house for 30 mins. Fast & professional. I now have two valet keys & the key that the dealership made me that locks & unlocks the doors only. I'm happy w that. After all it's an 11 yr old vehicle. Thanks for your thoughts gents.
LGL002 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page