1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2003 Sequoia Transponder Key ECU location and removal?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Exclamation 2003 Sequoia Transponder Key ECU location and removal?

When I purchased my used 2003 Sequoia LTD, it came with only one set of master key + remote and I just lost it. I then purchased a new blank transponder key ($60) w/o the programming and had it cut based on my VIN# by the dealer just to be able to put the car into neutral position and get it towed to the local dealer.

Local Toyota dealer said b/c of my specific 2003 year model, they cannot reseed the ECU and a new Transponder ECU is required ($350 ECU + $60 key + $220 labor) to program a new key. If it was 01-02 year model, the ECU reseeding would cost $200 labor + $60 key. Hefty price tag for just a simple key!!!

I read somewhere that some locksmiths services offer to reset/reflash/reprogram the existing ECU for $150-$250 with new pair of keys. Could anyone confirm if this procedure can apply to a Sequoia 2003 year model?

That being said, if I decide to go that route, I also don't know where the ECU module is located in my car to remove and ship it to the locksmith service either. Appreciate very much if anyone could enlighten me on the ECU location and removal procedure.

Thanks a bunch...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: 2003 Sequoia Transponder Key ECU location and removal?

You can find directions to reprogram here. All you need is the new key.

Free Keyless Remote Fob Entry programming instructions, procedures for all automotive vehicles

I guess you don't have the key or remote, so I don't know if this is any help, but it may be of future use to you.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jim Ford; 07-31-2010 at 10:09 AM.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks Jim:
    The instructions will definitely serve me later once I get the 1st key reprogrammed with the reflashed ECU.
    I noticed that the attached ECU immobilizer diagram is for a 2005 Sequoia and wonder whether it would apply to a 2003-04 model too?

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Don't know for sure, but why would they move parts around with almost no change in the interior design?

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
    Don't know for sure, but why would they move parts around with almost no change in the interior design?
    They changed some of the electronics starting in 2003.

I remember when researching my options for the 2002 that there were a couple of posts that discuss the locksmith option... here's one thread that should be helpful: Extra key needed for 05 Sequoia!

Once you get the key programmed, I think you'd be set to program your own extras and the remote.

Some careful shopping on eBay helped me (well, helped me help my girl friend and her 2002, actually)...

I got Toyota-branded transponder keys for like $13 from seller carkeysolution, and my local locksmith cut them for like two bucks each.

And I got a brand new wireless remote from seller keys_star (he sells both used and new remotes, but I splurged for a new one initially). Later I also found a very good used remote that looked like new and at a good price (must look at the photos and descriptions carefully or ask to see a photo of the actual remote). The number on the back of the remote can be helpful to verify you're buying the right spare.

The year of your Sequoia is important to know to purchase the proper chip key blank as well as the proper wireless remote -- they both can vary by year. And of course the programming procedure varies.
    1994 Camry V6 XLE - Cashmere Beige
    2002 Sequoia - White

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.