Do I need to reset ECU or something?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do I need to reset ECU or something?

Liked
    3 times
    Images

Default Do I need to reset ECU or something?

A while back, I had noticed my mpg had taken a dive on 2001 SR5. I could've sworn I at some point or another (past 8 months) was getting about 18 mpg; I'm lucky to get 15 mpg now. One thing I had noticed was that a hose which vented gases from the gas tank and connected to the intake manifold, had popped off. Since reattaching it, I still seem to be getting less mpg than what I was getting before. Does the computer need some sort of reboot? What do I need to unplug? Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    4 times
    Images

Default Re: Do I need to reset ECU or something?

Sorry, I have to ask....first question is: Do you do the fuel mpg reset each time you fill up with gas? If not, each time you need to hold the far left and far right button down for about 10 seconds until it goes back to 0-mpg. Also, do you only use that gauge...or do you do an actual calculation of miles traveled and fuel used...and add in any tire diameter changes? Also, does your fuel station use Ethanol in the mix? Do you always use the same brand and octane? Have to also ask if the air filter has been changed at normal intervals, or any other maintenance issues? Tire pressure?

Liked
    3 times
    Images

I always do the calculation myself based on miles driven between fill ups. On a recent long trip from SF to LA, I got about 16 mpg...switching between no o/d and o/d.

Tire diameter is stock.

It's possible Ethanol is in the mix, but I haven't noticed. Usually use Costco, Shell, or Valero 87 Octane.

Air filter has not been changed since about 20K ago when the previous owner had it changed. I had done a visual not too long ago and it didn't look that dirty...maybe it actually is. Oil changed w/synthetic not too long ago.

Have not checked tire pressure, but will do so later tonite.

Liked
    4 times
    Images

Spinn, sounds like you're keeping a close eye on it. The hose that came off could have had something to do with it...possible loss of vacuum or something? Could have been under-powered during that time, and it could take a few hundred miles for the computer to relearn. Not sure that anything is wrong, and it could be a mixture of variables. Not sure about California, but our stations are mostly using Ethanol in the fuel, and economy suffered a little...can't find any stations without it now. I've also noticed that when it gets colder, the fuel economy goes down slightly...but that might have something to do with the air being more dense. I'm happy if it's above 16 mpg's. Cruise control seems to help me keep my foot out of it.
    Last edited by big-o; 10-14-2010 at 07:00 PM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.