LOUD front brake squeal

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: LOUD front brake squeal

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

Default LOUD front brake squeal

when the vehicle is cold and I back out of the drive way, the front brakes make the most awfully loud squeal when braking in reverse.

I had the rotors turned and that temporarily helped but the squeal came back in a week or so

The front pads had plenty of wear left on them but they didn't have the OEM anti-squeal plates on them so I bought some OEM pads with the metal anti-squeal plates plus I applied the orange anti-squeal grease to the backs of the pads. The squeal went away for a few months but now it is back again.

the original pads didn't show any uneven wear so I'm led to believe that the calipers are working fine. i originally suspected that maybe one of the two pistons wasn't working as well which caused uneven pressure to the pad resulting in the squeal. however the pads were worn evenly so i doubt the calipers are the cause.

the return springs seemed to be working OK. does anyone have any ideas as to what else I can check?
    2010 Tundra CrewMax SR5 50k mi
    2003 Sequoia SR5 - 180k mi

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    4 times
    Images

Default Re: LOUD front brake squeal

Does it go away when you wash the brake dust out of the wheel?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Are you sure you installed the shims in the correct order? Could it be the rears?
    Where did you get the orange anti-squeal stuff?

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

i'll have to try hosing down the wheels in the morning before driving it, not a bad idea.

noise is definitely coming from the front. the only shims that were on the car before and after the most recent set of pads i installed were permanently fixed to the pads themselves. the only other brake hardware is the spring that holds the two pins in place which keep the pads between the calipers and the V shaped springs that hold the pads away from the rotor. could there be other pieces that are missing?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I have a somewhat similar problem with my 2004 Toyota Sequoia. I have recently replaced brake pads, greased the guide pins, turned rotors, dusted off rotors and callipers, checked the calliper pistons condition and still an annoying squeal after a full turn of the wheel. The noise stops after applying the brakes gently. My only guess left is that the calliper piston is rubbing against the back of the pad. I can see the piston mark rubbing metal on metal on the back of the brake pad. Has anyone experianced this same problem? If so, what was your fix?

Supporter
    Liked
    2 times

Did you clean the two slide pins on each caliper with a wire brush/wheel or equivalent. Those things have to be whistle clean to allow the springs to do their job in holdng the pads just all the rotors until depressed by the pistions. Could you also have a lazy caliper piston? One that is partially compromised with built up brake dust etc around the piston seal/boot and there by not allowing the piston to rest properly in between braking needs?

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

yeah i've cleaned the pins really well, applied brake component lubrication, turned the rotors, replaced the pads and I still have the loud squeal when braking in reverse when the car is cold.

the only thing i haven't done yet is replace the calipers. I'll probably just live with the squeal due to how expensive the calipers are.

Liked
    4 times
    Images

What is the stamp number on your caliper? I'm wondering if it's 13WE...the older style? If so, you may want to consider getting the 13WL if the calipers are not working properly.
    TRD Grille, TRD Interior, OME 60002 Rear shocks, OME865 Rear springs, OME861 stone guards, Downey Coilover, 285/65 Dynapro AT's, Total Chaos bushings, Bassani Exhaust, Amsoil on FIPK, Diehard Platinum, SilverStar lights, Formula One tint. (SOLD)

"Potential just means you ain't done it yet" -Darrell Royal

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

not sure but i'll definitely take a look the next time the wheels are off, thanks for the tip.

Liked
    4 times
    Images

You can actually see the casting number by looking under the front...it's opposite the wheel side.
    TRD Grille, TRD Interior, OME 60002 Rear shocks, OME865 Rear springs, OME861 stone guards, Downey Coilover, 285/65 Dynapro AT's, Total Chaos bushings, Bassani Exhaust, Amsoil on FIPK, Diehard Platinum, SilverStar lights, Formula One tint. (SOLD)

"Potential just means you ain't done it yet" -Darrell Royal

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Red face Re: LOUD front brake squeal

I have been trying to remedy this issue for 4 years! Here is what i have done so far: Replaced the rotors and pads with Genuine Toyota parts; no fix. Installed Powerslot slotted rotors with genuine Toyota pads; no fix. Changed the pads with the cheapest pads i could find; almost fixed(rarely squealed in reverse). Changed pads again with mid grade generics; worse than ever! Squeals going forward sometimes and that is where I am right now. Pay attention to this, however! I remember the first time I changed the pads I had an issue with one of the pistons on the passenger side. It was seized up and after all this trial and error and seeing as how my truck didn't have this issue till after i replaced the pads the first time I thinking it has something to do with that piston, even though it has SEEMED fine the last three times i changed my pads. Hope this info helps. I will defiantly post my findings.

P.S. My tundra does NOT have the caliper upgrade But! Slotted rotors solved most of those problems, plus I don't tow with it.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

thanks for your comments, mr jackson. it definitely sounds like our calipers are to blame. neither of mine are seized but perhaps one of the two pistons doesn't move as freely as the other, it could cause some kind of odd contact which results in the squeal.