How to lock the doors when the car is running

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: How to lock the doors when the car is running

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default How to lock the doors when the car is running

OK I admit it ...I Can't figure out how to lock the doors when the car is running while no one is in the car? Help please

2001 Sequoia

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

dx3
    Liked
    1 times

Default Re: How to lock the doors when the car is running

Quote Originally Posted by roger84 View Post
    OK I admit it ...I Can't figure out how to lock the doors when the car is running while no one is in the car? Help please

2001 Sequoia
    LOL - are you serious?
    Jonny

02 Toyota Sequoia
    06 VW Jetta TDI
    97 Lexus SC300

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

Yes I do think roger84 is serious. When you live in a cold state and want to go out and warm up your vehicle while at work and do not trust the neighborhood/co-workers, you lock the doors while running. I could do this with my Chevy truck and just carry the keyless entry fob back into the shop with me. They go out to a nice warm truck! I too need to figure this out for my 2010 Tundra Grade!!

Liked
    0 times

I just came in from trying to lock the doors while the engine was running on my 2004 Sequoia. I found out, I can lock them using my second ignition key, but not the key fob.

Liked
    3 times
    Images

Or get a remote start unit installed.
    TRD Grille, TRD Interior, OME 60002 Rear shocks, OME865 Rear springs, OME861 stone guards, Downey Coilover, 285/65 Dynapro AT's, Total Chaos bushings, Bassani Exhaust, Amsoil on FIPK, Diehard Platinum, SilverStar lights, Formula One tint. (SOLD)

"Potential just means you ain't done it yet" -Darrell Royal

dx3
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by big-o View Post
    Or get a remote start unit installed.
    This I would second...

What if you locked it with the keyfob with it running and then the keyfob quit working, or it fell and damaged... you'd have a running car with no way to get in.

Jonny
    Jonny

02 Toyota Sequoia
    06 VW Jetta TDI
    97 Lexus SC300

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks a lot for all of the help. I did try a second ignition key and it worked! Funny though...I could swear I tried that when I first got the truck It definitely does not work with the FOB.

Next question: Can one have a spare key made at the hardware store for a couple of bucks? I know it won't be able to start the car but will it lock and unlock the doors?

Liked
    0 times
    Images

I went to my dealer and asked for a "dummy" key and they cut me a couple for free just using my VIN.

I use a SeaDoo regularly and wanted a key that wouldn't get ruined if it got soaked. It works great. I lock the real key in the truck and just take my "dummy" on the lake with me.
    2005 Sequoia SR5 4x4 - Intended for use in the mountains and towing the boat to lakes...actually used to be a "responsible" parent and take the kids from place to place?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Soder99 View Post
    I went to my dealer and asked for a "dummy" key and they cut me a couple for free just using my VIN.

I use a SeaDoo regularly and wanted a key that wouldn't get ruined if it got soaked. It works great. I lock the real key in the truck and just take my "dummy" on the lake with me.
    Excellent idea, thanks! I will definitely try that