2001 Sequoia Frame rusted out

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: 2001 Sequoia Frame rusted out

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default 2001 Sequoia Frame rusted out

My 2001 Sequoia was just denied inspection due to excessive rust though of the frame. This is tyhe same frame as the Tundra that has been recalled by Toyota due to numerous issues. I'm trying to find owners of 2001-2003 Sequoia's with the same issue. Toyota has told me that I'm out of luck. My car otherwise is in very good condition, 150,000 miles. I basically have to junk the car as it is undriveable

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: 2001 Sequoia Frame rusted out

I have the same problem with my 2002 Sequioa frame. My Dealer has been giving me the run around and I, for one, would like to see something done.

Liked
    3 times
    Images

File a complaint with NHTSA...and hopefully enough people will cause them to address this. Seems like you guys in the New England area are particularly susceptible to this rust. No fun!
    TRD Grille, TRD Interior, OME 60002 Rear shocks, OME865 Rear springs, OME861 stone guards, Downey Coilover, 285/65 Dynapro AT's, Total Chaos bushings, Bassani Exhaust, Amsoil on FIPK, Diehard Platinum, SilverStar lights, Formula One tint. (SOLD)

"Potential just means you ain't done it yet" -Darrell Royal

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

i had this problem around the exhaust area. it was rusting up my hitch. so i put an exhaust tip on and spray rust killer everywhere and that seems to have cut the rust problem down big time. i noticed in 04 they started putting exhaust tips on. i bet it was due to the heat blasting under the chassis.

Liked
    3 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sidwin View Post
    i had this problem around the exhaust area. it was rusting up my hitch. so i put an exhaust tip on and spray rust killer everywhere and that seems to have cut the rust problem down big time. i noticed in 04 they started putting exhaust tips on. i bet it was due to the heat blasting under the chassis.
    It's common to rust around the hitch area, but it's not caused by the exhaust.

It is a great idea to kill the rust when it starts as you mentioned...especially if you're in the salt belt or New England area. You can use product like POR15 to prep and stop rust and use their coatings. If you run into a situation where you have holes in the frame, it will cost much more to replace or repair sections of damaged metal or even the frame itself. I've also heard of people using Zinc plates on the frame, and there is also a company that makes an electronic device used to introduce positive or negative electrons (not sure which) to keep the rust from occurring in the first place.

Good luck to you guys suffering from this frame cancer. Not good...
    TRD Grille, TRD Interior, OME 60002 Rear shocks, OME865 Rear springs, OME861 stone guards, Downey Coilover, 285/65 Dynapro AT's, Total Chaos bushings, Bassani Exhaust, Amsoil on FIPK, Diehard Platinum, SilverStar lights, Formula One tint. (SOLD)

"Potential just means you ain't done it yet" -Darrell Royal

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I expect rust around the undercarriage and can live with that. What I can live with is the frame rusting from the inside out and not pass inspection. At 70-yrs old I purchased this vehicle as my probably last vehicle purchase. Just can not afford to buy another car.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I own a 2002 Toyota Sequoia with 66,700m. My mechanic found that the frame is completely rusted including a hole the size of a golf ball. He advised not to spend any money doing any repairs until I talk with Toyota Motor Sales USA (TMSUSA)

I filed a complaint with TMSUSA and they assigned me a case #. They requested I take the vehicle to a Toyota dealership for a frame inspection. The inspection report confirmed the severely rusted frame including the hole, a missing rod that fell out and rust affecting the support of the transmission and spare tire. TMSUA issued a recall on the Tacomas and Tundras because of the same issues, prematurely rusted frames. The Tundras are the same as the Sequoia, built the same way and with the same frame. TMSUSA left the Sequoias out of the recall. They claim that my vehicle is out of warranty and denied any assistance in repairing (replacing) the frame.

A quotation from the same dealer to replace the frame: $16,500. I filed a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. I also contacted MA Attorney General which referred my complaint to a local consumer agency. I feel that TMSUSA is avoiding recalling the Sequoias because there are no too many complaints yet although there are numerous Sequoia owners going through the same rotted frame issues. TMSUSA should take responsibility for this negligence which will cost me my vehicle and those of Sequoias owners because it won't pass state inspection. The vehicle will be rejected with a safety violation which will deem the vehicle illegal to operate.

I urge any Sequoia owner to do what I did in order to start building up numbers which in turn will involve the NHTSA to began a full investigation. There are thousands of Sequoias on the road and many owners are unaware their vehicles are at risk of having their frame collapse, their transmission fall, and their spare tire detach and fall because of severe rust. Also, if any of these things happens their life and that of their family could be harmed even kill because of it. Other motorist are also in danger.

If you know of anyone owning a Sequoia, please advice them about this impending threat. I Thank you, the founders and administrators of this forum for taking the initiative not only to socialize and talk about our vehicles, repairs and suggestion made by other members, but also to be a venue to protect ourselves and our investments that we have made when purchasing vehicles hoping they will last a very long time if taken well care of them, no after 66,700 which mine averages 7,000m a year.

Octavio

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Hi, I just got my 2001 Sequoia back from the dealer with its new frame. My dealer managed to convince Toyota to replace as courtesy. It still cost me 2900.00 as I decided to have them do the manifolds, front struts, and a bunch of other stuff that was on me. They did it all at a reduced cost for parts and labor. I am very happy.

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS1960 View Post
    Hi, I just got my 2001 Sequoia back from the dealer with its new frame. My dealer managed to convince Toyota to replace as courtesy. It still cost me 2900.00 as I decided to have them do the manifolds, front struts, and a bunch of other stuff that was on me. They did it all at a reduced cost for parts and labor. I am very happy.
    What dealer did you take your vehicle to and are you the original owner of said vehicle?

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS1960 View Post
    ^^^^^^^Says the guy with 1 post,posted on his join date and has not been back on this forum since.^^^^^^^
    I am going to have to raise the B.S. flag on this one. It would be like me coming on here and stating that Toyota felt bad for me that my Sequoias frame was rusting out so they just gave me a New 2012 just for being a loyal customer, hahaha.......
    Oh well,he probably works for Toyota and just wanted to throw a cup of gasoline on the already burning fire that all of us "actual" customers have from being screwed over by Toyota.