Question Codes p2418, p0441, p0446, p0455. Now what?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Codes p2418, p0441, p0446, p0455. Now what?

Liked
    0 times

Default Codes p2418, p0441, p0446, p0455. Now what?

"Check Engine" light and "VSS" lights came on the yesterday during normal driving. 20 miles later, had the code pulled at AutoZone. 2004 Sequoia, 65k. Recent brakes. Gassed up about 200 miles ago, checked the gas cap anyway, no difference. Someone suggested the charcoal cannister is flooded; Very strange since I always stop pumping gas at the 1st 'click' just to avoid flooding the charcoal cannister.

p2418 - EVAP system switching valve control
    p0441 - Evap system incorrect purge flow
    p0446 - Evap system vent control circuit fault
    p0455 - Evap system pressure leak detected - large leak.

Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Codes p2418, p0441, p0446, p0455. Now what?

Deleted
    Last edited by cheepyankee; 10-14-2011 at 10:48 AM.

Liked
    0 times

Problem solved, and cheaply at that. Long story short, test your Pressure Switching Valve 1st, if its bad, buy a Dorman 911-601 Valve from amazon.

In Sequoia and Tundra, I am CONVINCED its usually the Pressure Switching Valve on the Charcoal canister. It is subject to getting very wet, and mine was very rusty. Mechanics think it should be the last thing to be tested, which I did. You may want to test it first.

If any of you get these codes, here is what is happening, the test procedure, and how to fix.

The problems could be:
    Hose(s) off, cracked or rotten.
    Crack(s) in the filler neck or canister
    Gas Cap not sealing
    Faulty Canister Close valve (CCV) (behind battery on fender)
    Faulty EVAP valve (on intake manifold)
    Faulty Pressure Switching Valve (PSV) (on charcoal canister above spare tire)
    Faulty pressure sensor (on top of gas tank)

The codes mean the evap system is not holding pressure. You have either a gas soaked charcoal canister (above the spare tire), loose rotted vacuum lines going to the canister or the tank or under the hood, or a faulty Vacuum Switching Valve (VSV) of which there are 3 (The EVAP, the CCV, and the PSV).

Hoses: Inspect visually, push and pull, check for looseness, splits or rot. Your mechanic can also do a "smoke test" but I'd come back to that later only if all the other tests come out OK. Check the hoses going to the canister and the fuel tank and under the hood.

Canister. Remove spare tire, remove canister. 3 10mm bolts, a bunch of hoses. (Looks more complicated than it is. Hoses will line right back up when you reinstall canister.) If fuel drips out of the canister, there is your problem. You should also be able to blow air thru the tubes.

The 3 VSV's: 1st one is the EVAP, mouned on the drivers side of the intake manifold, about the size of a lipstick tube, couple wires going in and a couple hoses. The 2nd is the CCV, mounted on the inner fender behind the battery. 3rd is the PSV, on the charcoal canister above the spare tire.

EVAP valve is normally closed, shouldn't pass any air when not energized. GRN/RED wire should be hot with key on, grounding the other wire opens the valve (you should hear a "click").

Close Canister Valve is normally open, air should not pass through it when energized. GRN/RED wire should be hot with key on, grounding the other wire closes the valve (you should hear a "click").

Pressure Switching Valve shouldn't pass air when de-energized, energize with key on and a jumper to ground on PNK/BLU wire, it should pass air (you should hear a "click"). Mine had no click.

In my case, it was the Pressure Switching Valve, which I suspected all along, but a professional mechanic told me I was nuts. the Toyota Part number is 90910-12246. As of this writing, $80 from toyota, plus several days waiting, $45 online plus shipping. Or...

For $25 on Amazon, I bought the Dorman 911-601. Its listed for other Toyotas, but visually Identical!! Free 24 shipping, plus I got a $21 OBD2 scan tool. Total was less than the 90910-12246, faster shipping, plus I was able to clear the code myself and save the trip to autozone.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

One of those codes popped up for me last week. I too went to Autozone and I think it was P0446. I checked the gas cap first, checked the hoses, than I remembered I had an oil change done at Mobil a few days prior, so I checked the air filter and sure enough it wasn't put back properly and one clamp wasn't fitted. I put everything back right and changed the filter for sits and giggles. I reset the code and all has been well ever since. From here on out I"m going to tell the bozos at the oil change place, just change the oil nothing else.