Blink AC Button Light

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blink AC Button Light

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Blink AC Button Light

The AC button on the dash of my 2003 Sequoia has starting blinking. When I press it on it will start to blow cold air but after about 5 seconds it will start to blink on and off and the cold air will stop blowing (air continues to blow). I've searched the web and found two likely causes the ac compressor clutch and the Magnetic Clutch relay. Several post I found said to take out the relay and tap it on a hard surface to get it "unstuck". This didn't help in my case. I also swapped out the mag. clutch relay with others found in the various fuse boxes. None seemed to fix the situation.

I then swapped out the clutch hoping this would fix my problem. No luck there either. The problem still persists as usual. I can hear the clutch kick in but after a few seconds it disengages and doesn't come back on.

Does anyone have an idea for a new area to look at. The ac does blow cold air. If I keep pushing the button back on after it starts to blink it will blow cold air, but as soon as the clutch disengages it will start to blink again. This gets old pretty fast. Sometimes after doing this a few times it will fix itself and stay on until we shut-off the car. I guess there is a possibility that the relays I swapped in are going bad too, but there doesn't seem to be a problem in those components they (i.e., the horn, fog lights, etc.)

Any help would be appreciated
    Last edited by elmariachi; 07-26-2012 at 09:19 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    822 times
    Images

Default Re: Blink AC Button Light

maybe the compressor itself is failing and hanging up after it comes on for a few seconds.
    2000 Tundra 1A0 Platinum Metallic 3.4L V6 SR5 AC 4WD, 209,000 miles and counting, Husky Liners, 5K 35 Watt HID Heads & 5K 60 Watt LED Fogs w/ Fog Mod from IZL, LED Cargo Light, Pioneer 3300UB, redruM69's Quarter Window Arm Mod, Kicker 8" with Custom Box, New Frame via The Rust Recall, 5100s on 3rd Notch, Hellwig EZ550 Helper Springs, My 1st Gen Anytime Power Window Mod, K&N Air Filter, Electric Fan Conversion (thanks texasranger96), 180 Amp DC Power Alternator, Map Light Mod & LEDs, 285/75r16 Terra Grapplers, Curt Tow Hitch, Keyless Entry, ES Rack Bushings, 30" SR Offroad LED Bar (Install Click here), Uniden PRO 520XL CB, 4in LED Reverse Lights (Install Click Here)
    CBTMA Member

Sometime in the Future:
    Lock-Rite (maybe)

Liked
    2 times

You need to replace the magnetic clutch relay as that is the problem. I find it hard to believe that you have found other relays to swap in as it is a unique relay (there are no other relays that are like it on your vehicle,although they may fit in it's cavity) Get yourself a new magnetic clutch relay from your local toyota dealer and you will be amazed at how much time and $$ that you wasted tracking down this problem and how many times the part number has been changed for that relay.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by turboDan View Post
    You need to replace the magnetic clutch relay as that is the problem. I find it hard to believe that you have found other relays to swap in as it is a unique relay (there are no other relays that are like it on your vehicle,although they may fit in it's cavity) Get yourself a new magnetic clutch relay from your local toyota dealer and you will be amazed at how much time and $$ that you wasted tracking down this problem and how many times the part number has been changed for that relay.
    Thanks. This will be my next step. I've been researching this for awhile and everything I read pointed to the clutch. The relays I swapped in appeared to have the same markings as the one that was in the magnetic clutch relay spot. I'll update if this indeed fixes the problem.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Blinking AC Button Light

Quote Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
    Thanks. This will be my next step. I've been researching this for awhile and everything I read pointed to the clutch. The relays I swapped in appeared to have the same markings as the one that was in the magnetic clutch relay spot. I'll update if this indeed fixes the problem.
    I changed the relay today and still no luck. Anyone else have any ideas? Everything on the net says it's the relay or clutch and having changed both it still doesn't work. Will blow cold air for a ~30sec then the light starts blinking. I'm hesitant to change to compressor since it does blow cold air. The compressor spun freely when I was changing the clutch so I don't think it's a seized bearing.

I've done some more interweb research and think it might be the AC pressure switch. Does anyone have an idea if on on the right track?

Any help is appreciated
    Last edited by elmariachi; 07-26-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Rookie
    Liked
    2 times

Like you, I had blinking light - but no cold air. Fan still worked, etc. but compressor would not engage. Also like you, after reading online here, I replaced the one relay - no help.

As simple as this sounds, THIS worked. I found a loose ground wire on the side/top of my compressor. I removed the screw, cleaned up the tongue terminal, and tightened the screw. Viola, end of blinking light.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKz View Post
    Like you, I had blinking light - but no cold air. Fan still worked, etc. but compressor would not engage. Also like you, after reading online here, I replaced the one relay - no help.

As simple as this sounds, THIS worked. I found a loose ground wire on the side/top of my compressor. I removed the screw, cleaned up the tongue terminal, and tightened the screw. Viola, end of blinking light.

Hope this helps,

Mike
    Thanks, I'll give this a try, but in my case I don't think this will help. When I took the ac clutch off I made sure everything was back together and tight. I think I know which ground wire you are refering to and I'll look into it and anything else that might need looking into.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Everything I've been reading and looking into is pointing to the AC rpm sensor (aka: lock-out sensor/switch). I found a blog which stated to look at this (http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=555). You need some type of scope to see how its work (can't be diagnosed with regular ac/ohm meter). This posting said it can be changed. I just need to know where this sensor is in relation to the compressor. Is it built-in? I haven't been able to find a part number for this. Would it be included in a newly purchased compressor?

If anyone knows please post up here with your ideas.

Thanks
    Last edited by elmariachi; 08-09-2012 at 08:20 AM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.