pinion gear diy, upgrades while I'm at it??

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pinion gear diy, upgrades while I'm at it??

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default pinion gear diy, upgrades while I'm at it??

hello, I have a 2004 Sequoia SR5 4x4 w/ about 160k miles on it. I just found out that the pinion bearing needs replaced, and it was recommended that I do the carrier bearings and possibly axle bearings while I'm at it. I trust the shop and he was willing to give me some help if I do it myself, or he said it would be $700-800 for them to do it. I am more than willing to try it myself, but things like crush sleeves (?) and back lash make me a little nervous. I did the timing belt myself with the help of alldatadiy, but they don't have any repair instructions on doing anything with the diff, other than prices. Can anyone recommend a site that would have detailed instructions on how to do this, or should I just suck it up and pay the mechanic?

Usually when I do a diy, it's my excuse to add some upgrades and fix other things with the money I am "saving." I abuse this thing as much as possible, and am always very impressed with some of the places it has taken me, and gotten me out of. I hunt with it frequently, and I pull a 16' double-axle trailer to either tow my 1972 Int'l Scout or load up with a cord or two of firewood. I'm thinking I need to upgrade my old suspension, possibly adding a small lift and trailer brake connection, and maybe even air bags. At the same time, it's my wife's family car when I'm not out beating on it, so I need to keep it wife-friendly (not too high, not extremely rough riding). Any suggestions? The airbags probably wouldn't be necessary, but I would like to get some feedback from others that have done similar things. Since I might have it taken apart in the garage for a while, this is probably the time to do some of this. Thanks for your help,

Rob

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    3 times

Default Re: pinion gear diy, upgrades while I'm at it??

I think the stock replacement should be fine on this, the air bags will help if you have sag when towing and not affect the ride the rest of the time. I put on 100series Land Cruiser rear springs and like them when it is loaded down, but it is stiffer when unloaded.

Liked
    302 times
    Images

Ditch the crush sleeve and get yourself a solid spacer to replace the crush sleeve. You can purchase it from one of the authorized dealers on this site. I believe it's East Coast Gear Supply.

You'll need purchase a master install kit. This will have the shims, bearings and races to get the pinion and carrier bearings done. For the rest of the axle, get them from the auto parts store. The box brand may be different but a lot of the times, they are just using another brand for the actual bearing. Such as Koyo bearings. Replace the inner and outer wheel seals. Other than that, you should be good. Unless, you want to regear...

There's a lot of info provided here: Toyota Gear Installs

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

thanks for the posts. I decided to just turn it over to the expert and deal with the suspension later

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.