Newbie from down south

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Newbie from down south

Liked
    11 times

Default Newbie from down south

I have been a long time lurker(several years, lol) and figured it was time to formally introduce myself. I am from Georgia, about 40 minutes south of Atlanta. I currently own a 2001 Sequoia SR5 but I have owned several other Yotas including a 87 4x4 and a 2001 Tacoma Pre-Runner. We picked our current Sequoia last January and have loved it ever since. It was a one owner(with records including timing belt change at 82k) with 133k miles on it. I managed to talk the guy down to $6800(from his original asking price of $7800) which I though was a great deal! It was bone stock with the limited leather upgrade and for an 11 year old truck it was in really good shape. My wife put about 15k miles on it but now it is my DD since we got her a new car.

Of course I can't leave a vehicle stock so the mods(free ones first) have begun. I removed the fugly running boards and stock resonator, and then had the windows tinted. I then managed to steal a set of the 17" split 5 spoke Tundra/Sequoia wheels off CL for $125!(I told you I stole them!) They are in need if a good cleaning but other than that they are in great shape. I am going to paint them either dark grey or black, haven't decided yet and throw a set of 285/70/17 MTs on them(after level). I am hopefully getting a leveling/lift kit as well as a set of Spidertrax spacers for Christmas and I will be set for a while. Unfortunately it isn't a 4wd and I love to do a little mild offroading so I want to eventually get a ARB locker(and maybe a winch) so I can play with my buddies.

Nothing special but here are a few pics...

After a little play time. This thing does does pretty good for only being a 2wd.

I still can't believe I was able to get these for only $125!

And thanks to you guys I even managed to get the rear window working again!
    Last edited by Daniel Day; 12-07-2012 at 06:18 PM.
    2001 Sequoia SR5- Satin Black wheels with 285/70/17 Goodyear MT-Rs, Daystar 3/2 lift kit and Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    3 times

Default Re: Newbie from down south

Welcome to the club, I ended up driving our Sequoia the same way once, my wife upgraded her car. They are solid and being in the south we don't have the rust issues others have complained about.

Liked
    11 times

Thanks sseaman! Yeah, like I said, I have been a long time fan of Toyotas and hope this one continues to bring us years of enjoyment.
    2001 Sequoia SR5- Satin Black wheels with 285/70/17 Goodyear MT-Rs, Daystar 3/2 lift kit and Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers.

Liked
    11 times

(Kinda long story, scroll to the bottom for pics)

So, I lucked up and found another killer deal on CL. I found a guy with a Wrangler that was selling a set of 285/70/17 Goodyear MT-Rs(with Kevlar) with 60% tread on all four and also a brand new spare with zero miles. They were on a set of Rubicon wheels and he didn't want to sell them separately so I bought the whole set for $350! These tires retail for over $300 per tire so I think I got a heck of a deal. I already listed the Rubicon wheels on CL and have a couple people interested. Since I already had the tires, I figured I would clean/paint my wheels and get the tires mounted. I wasn't going to put them on the truck until I got my leveling kit but I couldn't help myself....I wanted to see if the tires would fit on a completely bone stock Sequoia.

So, for anyone wondering, yes, 33s (285/70/17) will fit on our trucks without a level or lift. The only place that rubs is on the frame with the wheel at full lock to the left. I had already removed my mud flaps and running boards, but I'm sure they would have rubbed on the mud flaps as well. I am amazed at how much of a difference the black wheels and Mts made, it looks like a completely different truck. The ride is on par for a MT but the noise is actually not as bad as I expected, especially since these tires already have some mile on them.

I was torn between grey and black for the wheels but ultimately decided on black since the grey wouldn't look much different than the stock "hyper-silver" Sequoia wheels. I degreased and cleaned the wheels really well and then sanded them with 200 grit. I then applied 3 coats of primer and 5 coats of Satin Black. I think they turned out really well, with no runs or bubbles. Prior to painting, I removed the Toyota emblems(they are held on by 3 little tabs and pop off very easily) from the center caps so the wheels wouldn't be completely blacked out.

I took a couple quick pics this afternoon but the tires were still dirty. I cleaned them up this evening but I ran out of daylight so I will get some better pics tomorrow.

Liked
    11 times

Okay, so I cleaned it up and also Plasti-dipped all of my emblems. I was also able to do a little mild off-roading at a friend's property. Nothing crazy but I was able to flex the suspension fairly well and I am happy to report that the tires did not rub at all! Okay, enough talk, more pics...

Last edited by Daniel Day; 12-08-2012 at 06:47 PM.
    Gatorman76 likes this.

Liked
    473 times

Truck looks sweet man! Looks like a totally different truck!
    Daniel Day likes this.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
    I don't entirely know what OCD is, but I know it's very fashionable to accuse people of having it if they try and do something properly. -James May

Liked
    11 times

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmypop View Post
    Truck looks sweet man! Looks like a totally different truck!
    Thanks, I appreciate it! Amazing what a set of wheels and tires can do for a vehicle.

On a side note, is this forum always this slow(interaction/members wise)? I am a remember on several other forums and they seem to be much more active. I realize this is a sub-forum on a Tundra site but still.

Liked
    473 times

I think its because of the sub-category thing, but I know what you mean. Especially when a thread will have hundreds of views and next to no comments. just the way it goes I guess.
    There are some extremely knowledgeable members here, and loads of cool mod ideas, plus not too many d-bags. (I've lurked some other forums...wow. I'm glad our moderators keep it clean) So, welcome!
    Daniel Day likes this.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
    I don't entirely know what OCD is, but I know it's very fashionable to accuse people of having it if they try and do something properly. -James May

Liked
    473 times

P.s. I joined a Nissan murano forum (wife's car) and if you think TS is slow... That site is a ghost town.

Rookie
    Liked
    4 times

Nice ride, looks great. I'm about 45 minute north of Atlanta. 2000 Sequoia SR5 and just replaced the tranny at 193k. It was a good time to chance all fluids, clean TB, plugs, fuel filter, valve cover gaskets, and a new set of tires. It's like having a new truck again.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

Liked
    11 times

Thanks Mpalm! I love this truck, I get compliments on it all the time and have people asking what year it is... when I tell them it is 12 years old they are always so surprised, lol. Hopefully it still looks and drives as good in another 12 years!

Rookie
    Liked
    4 times

I'm hoping mine has another 200k in her.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

Liked
    3 times

I am running 285/70-17's with 5100's on the first notch and stock springs in the rear, I noticed on off camber turns a little rubbing on the tire and upper control arm, but very slightly.

Liked
    11 times

A friend and I were able to play on some old logging roads today. He has an 02 G-wagon on 35s. I'll post some more pics later.
    Last edited by Daniel Day; 12-15-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Liked
    11 times
    Images

Truck looks sweet. I like your subtle blacked out look.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast