Question New wheels...

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DiScoTeknix

Thread: New wheels...

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default New wheels...

I have a 2004 Sequoia Ltd and am looking for new wheels. The finish on the stock 17" rims is pitted and flaking off, I like the look of the stock wheels but am going to replace them with new ones. Has anyone out there got comments on going up to 20" wheels and how it effected the ride/handling? Thinking about the MPW MP207 wheels...20" chrome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    3 times

Default Re: New wheels...

I have seen some with them, no idea on how they affect the ride.

Liked
    11 times

I have had 20s on several different vehicles and currently have the factory 20s on our 09 GMC Yukon. If you have enough sidewall on the tires the ride isn't too bad (which is the case with our Yukon) but it is still not as smooth as a set of 17s with more tire would be. I have also had them on cars with smaller profile tires and you can literally feel every bump in the road. If you throw a set of 20s with rubber band tires on your Sequoia it is going to ride like a horse and buggy. With that said, my advice would be to stick with a tire that has some a decent sidewall and as close to the overall diameter(30-31") that came from the factory as possible and you should be okay. One other thing to note is that chrome is very heavy. You will definitely feel a difference in power and braking distance.
    2001 Sequoia SR5- Satin Black wheels with 285/70/17 Goodyear MT-Rs, Daystar 3/2 lift kit and Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers.

Liked
    3 times

I had a set of 20s on my Sequoia (from the previous owner) with 265/50/20 tires. The ride quality was garbage in my opinion. It was far too stiff for a truck. Even small curbs and bumps were incredibly jarring... felt a lot like my E36 track car. The wheels looked nice though if you're into the chrome 20 inch wheel thing.
    Jonesy likes this.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks all! I have seen a couple Sequoias with 20's and like the look but I'm not willing to sacrifice the ride!!! I started calling around today and I can likely get the OEM 17" alloys refinished for about 150 per wheel...blasting off the old coating then powder coating them. One of the guys I talked to was familiar with the wheel, it seems fairly common for the factory finish to start bubbling, flaking and pitting. Don't know if it is just a poor finish or the combination of road gravel and salt from winter driving.