01-04 Limited Service Campaign - Corrosion-Resistant Compound Application to Frame

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: 01-04 Limited Service Campaign - Corrosion-Resistant Compound Application to Frame

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default 01-04 Limited Service Campaign - Corrosion-Resistant Compound Application to Frame

I received a mailing announcement about a service campaign for frame inspection and corrosion-resistand compound application or "other" remedy for the 2002 Sequoia. I'm in the state of Maryland and am curious what experiences folks have with this campaign and their local dealers...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Supporter
    Liked
    2 times

Default Re: 01-04 Limited Service Campaign - Corrosion-Resistant Compound Application to Fram

Hello Badger, I am located in Pennsylvania. Toyota is rolling out this recall state by state. My 2003 was the first one into Team Toyota on Dec 4. My frame was shot so they declared it not drive-able and issued me a loaner. I picked up the Sequoia yesterday. Nice shiny new frame, lots of new suspension parts, new wiring harness, new brake lines, new shocks all free of charge. I put about 50 miles on it today, so far it runs PERFECT (knock wood) 85 MPH gently eased my hands off the steering wheel, it tracks perfectly. Drove through a shopping centers parking lot with 5 speed bums, no clanks ,clunks or squeaks. I also had the timing belt and water pump changed at a reduced labor charge because the motor had to be pulled for the frame replacement, so things were real easy to get to.
    I hope some others will post here with their experience so we can see which dealers are doing this job right. Team Toyota has done an excellent job on my Sequoia, I hope you can find a local dealership that will do the same for yours. BTW I used to travel up and down I-95, Baltimore only takes 2.5- 3 hours and Team Toyota is right off I-95
    Last edited by sequoiachas; 01-01-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: 01-04 Limited Service Campaign - Corrosion-Resistant Compound Application to Fram

I'm in NJ, still waiting, nothing on the owners site.
    2004 Sequoia
    2005 Acura RL
    1993 Porsche 968
    1986 Porsche 911 Targa

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Still waiting here in NY. Also nothing showing up on the owners site for me

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Milk_Badger View Post
    I received a mailing announcement about a service campaign for frame inspection and corrosion-resistand compound application or "other" remedy for the 2002 Sequoia. I'm in the state of Maryland and am curious what experiences folks have with this campaign and their local dealers...
    I'm also in Maryland. Had R&H Toyota inspect the frame and was told it doesn't have to be replaced. However, they don't have any kits in stock yet and will call meas soon as they get the parts. Once they arrive, my wife will get a loaner and the truck should be ready in 2 days.
    2012 Infinity QX56 AWD
    2008 Lexus LS460L

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Any idea if this campaign will make it to California? I don't believe I have a "problem" but certainly like the idea that Toyota will stand behind a 10+ year old vehicle that I've had since day one!

Liked
    2 times

There is a thread a couple down from this with a ton of info and some testimonials: Sequoia undercarriage Rust

Here is some info I lifted from the TSB: The campaign involves customers whose vehicles are currently registered in the following specific 20 Cold Climate States which have high road salt usage and the District of Columbia. CT, DE, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VA, VT, WI, WV

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I'm in NJ. I received my notice on March 11th. My appointment is next Tuesday, 5/14/13. I doubt I'll need a frame replacement. The frame still looks very good for 200k+. We'll see Tuesday.

Make sure to get your free loaner. The inspection and coating process can take up to 3 days.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    6 times

Interesting... I will have to look into this in Canada BC as we have a lot of road salt usage here too.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

Do we have to register somewhere or are they pulling DMV records?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

I live in Ohio and just took my Sequoia in for the inspection and to no surprise my frame passed inspection. I bought mine new in 2002 and have always gone to the laser wash during winter to wash off the salt. I usually clean and paint the frame in early summer when I install my chrome wheels. I knew that the frame was in good condition with some minor surface rust. Hard to tell what the inside of the frame looks like, but I don't have any rust holes. I actually wish the frame was being replaced because I feel that I will lose my resale value when I sell it and any prospected buyer who knows about the recall sees that it has not been replaced and will think that it could possibly fail in the future. I have not seen what the corrosion spray looks like but it sounds like it will be a real mess. I am not aware of any rustproofing that can be sprayed over rust with good results. It will usually continue to rust under the material and you will not know what is happening. Not looking forward to working on it afterwards and being covered with this messy goo. Was this the same process used for the Tacoma recall ? Has anyone had this spray applied that can comment on the results and apperance ? Please let me know what to expect.

Liked
    0 times

It's not that bad, takes a few weeks to dry, mine never dripped. There are chemicals out that that will stop further rust and prevent more from developing. I don't know what is in the stuff Toyota is applying, but it has to be more than just cosmetic paint and they should be injecting it into the weep holes throughout the frame. I'm not worried about it or resale.
    2004 Sequoia
    2005 Acura RL
    1993 Porsche 968
    1986 Porsche 911 Targa

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

I have used an air needler on the surface rust and applied a rust converter then painted over that and it still rusted on the weld joints. I take very good care of my Sequoia and it is in excellent condition other than the rust on the frame. I guess all I can do at this point is hope for the best and that years from now it will still have a solid frame underneath it.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I got my letter here in Indiana, but haven't taken the truck in yet. I'm waiting to see what experience others have had. My frame looks really rusted, and there is at least one very small hole in the frame near the driver's door, but how bad does it have to be to get replaced? I'd really like to have it replaced. The vehicle has its quirks - brake light comes on randomly, etc - but I just love it and I'd like to keep it as long as i can.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

Update....I lowered my spare tire and found two large rust holes at the rear of the frame on each side above where the factory hitch is installed, in the inside corners of the frame. So much for the Toyota inspection process, I will be contacting them tomorrow to let them know and ask how they could not have seen these. I assume that they did not lower the spare tire even though the recall involves checking the spare tire cable assembly. So everyone needs to make a good inspection of their frames and not believe what you are told. I was told by someone who works at a Cleveland Toyota Dealership (east side) that any rust hole is cause for replacement.