DIY HomeLink Console LED Swap

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: HomeLink Console LED Swap

Liked
    2 times

Default HomeLink Console LED Swap

First off, thanks to user OKstate for pioneering this and creating a thread with good reference materiel: Finally a sequoia LED swap!

Looking through his thread and others I couldn't find a definite walk through to replace the HomeLink console bulbs to LEDs. Hope this helps some of you. Please note this was done on my 2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 w/ a sunroof. Let me know if you have any questions. It is really straight forward and easy once you get everything in your hands. I did it on my lunch hour and still had time to spare.

What you need:
    5x SuperBrightLEDs NEO4-GHP High Power Instrument Panel LED NEOx LED Bulb - High Power Instrument Panel LED | Universal Bulb Finder | Super Bright LEDs
    Phillips Screwdriver
    Standard Screwdriver
    *Optional* Needle nose pliers
    Total Cost: $13.87 shipped to my door. Would have cost $25+ if I purchased regular replacement bulbs through Toyota.

This is what we are swapping out:

Step 1: Open the sunglasses holder and find the two phillips screws. They are short screws so be careful not to drop them

Step 3: Pull straight down on the console. The only thing holding it are two metal compression clips. Since the front was loose as we took out the screws I just pulled down enough to get my fingers in there and pulled from the middle.

Step 4: The console should now be handing by the harness. The harness clip is slid on to a plastic keeper. It was fairly brittle in my rig so I slid it off. Once it is off the keeper I found the release tab on the connector, depressed it, and pulled the harness apart. The console should now be free from the truck.

Step 5: With the console on your work bench you can locate the five HomeLink bulbs. To remove, simply take your standard/slotted screwdriver, twist a 1/4 turn, and turn the console over so the bulb will fall out.

I found that using a pair of needle nose pliers makes it easier to turn/remove and is quicker.

Step 6: Remove the bulbs and drop the new LEDs in the sockets. Please note these bulbs are polarized. If you put them in and they dont work, turn them 180* and try again. I ended up putting the new LEDs in, plugging in and letting it hang by the harness, turning the key to ON and turning the parking lights on. That way I could test to make sure it works. I had to turn all of them 180* until they lit up. Also, they felt like they were not secure with a 1/4 turn but they are.

Step 7: Once all 5 LEDs are in and working reconnect the harness (If you have not already), center the console in the cutout in the headliner, and push up. It should pop in place. You can also look through the screw holes to help you line up the console. Once it is held in place with the clips simply install the screws.

Finished product: The LEDs are a lot greener than the old bulbs. They are also much brighter. I have not used them in the dark yet, but I am assuming I will want to dim them a little.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: HomeLink Console LED Swap

Thanks for sharing!

Liked
    0 times

Awesome, thanks! My center bulb is out, will replace using this guide.
    2004 Sequoia
    2005 Acura RL
    1993 Porsche 968
    1986 Porsche 911 Targa

Liked
    2 times

I am considering ordering the non high power LED for the standards. Shipping is kind of a bummer on such a small item. Huge box for something that could fit in an envelope.

Liked
    2 times

I went ahead and ordered the standard, non HiPower and put two in. Waited til tonight and drive around, I cannot really tell the difference. So my opinion would be to save some cash and get the standard ones.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I ordered and installed the non high power lights on my homelink. These are much brighter an better looking than my stick lights. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByAG Free1360369973.603183.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	93839

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByAG Free1360369997.434930.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	93840  

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Excellent write up. I ordered 5 NEO4-G's (green, regular brightness) and put them in in 10 minutes. They were less than $10 after shipping. I've had 2 of them out since I bought my 2005 Q 3 years ago. Here's a few thoughts I had as I was installing them.

-If I did this again, I'd order the same NEO4-G LED's but not in green. I'd order "COOL WHITE." The green LED plus the green plastic filter inside the buttons makes for a GREEN light coming out. The picture NotSoSimple attached at the end of the original post is pretty true to life.
    -I left the electrical connected and the lights on as I put them in so that I could instantly check polarization.
    -DON'T put the sleeves from the old lights on the LED's. They will fall off and could block the light in the buttons. I had to vacuum mine out.
    -I took the risk of twisting the LED's a bit further. It worked. The PC board (green circuit board) they twist onto is a bit thicker than I think the bulbs like, but they are snug now.

Thanks so much NotSoSimple for the write up. It's excellent and inspired me to do something I've been meaning to do for 3 years now.
    Last edited by Soder99; 02-09-2013 at 09:27 AM.
    2005 Sequoia SR5 4x4 - Intended for use in the mountains and towing the boat to lakes...actually used to be a "responsible" parent and take the kids from place to place?

Liked
    2 times

No problem Soder. Any information that can be added is appreciated, so thanks! I am curious how the 'Cool White' LEDs look but having a hard time buying a third set of LEDs for the truck.