Transmission Temperatures using Torque App and OBDII Bluetooth Adapter

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Transmission Temperatures using Torque App and OBDII Bluetooth Adapter

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Transmission Temperatures using Torque App and OBDII Bluetooth Adapter

I ordered an inexpensive OBDII Bluetooth OBDII adapter off Amazon and the $5 Torque Android App and was excited to observe transmission temps while towing my 4,000 lb. boat. Unfortunately Torque wouldn't display the transmission temp.

I used some PID's posted on TacomaWorld.com and both of these produced an output of about 125F as I drove around my neighborhood. I didn't see different readings for them as I drove, but it was a 3 minute trip.

Write-Up: Torque APP OBD2 Reader - Page 10 - Tacoma World Forums

We drove down to the lake in 100F weather last week. It was about 300 miles down and 300 miles home.

The converter outlet temp consistently ran higher than the pan temp by about 5-10F. At it's hottest, the converter temp got up to 212F accelerating up a hill after a stoplight. Once we got on I-15 the converter temp ran about 198F.

Everything ran as appropriate except that we got about 7.5 mpg (we dropped about 2,500 ft. in elevation on the way down). On previous trips we got about 9 mpg. So I looked at the air filter and it was ugly. I banged it out and we got about 8.5 mpg on the way home (uphill). A new one is going in tomorrow.

We came home late at night. The ambient temperature was about 72F (average) and the converter outlet temp ran closer to 165F.

I'm very pleased that these Torque PID's worked to show me the Sequoia transmission temperatures in real time. I never had a problem with the app nor my OBDII bluetooth adapter.

I know some of these inexpensive OBDII's are flaky or don't work. If anyone is interested, I bought mine on Amazon under this title for $15:
    Newest Elm327 Bluetooth V1.5 OBD2 OBD II Auto Diagnostic Scanner Mini Adapter
    by ELM 327

Hopefully this information will be useful if others are trying to use the Torque app to monitor transmission temps in their Sequoia.

Here's the PID's:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For sensor 1 (Pan Temp):

OBD2 Mode and PID:
    21D9
    Long Name:
    Transmission Fluid Temperature 1
    Short Name:
    TFT 1
    Minimum Value:
    Maximum value:
    Scale factor:
    x1
    Unit Type:
    F (there is a degree symbol in Torque)
    Equation:
    ((((E*256)+F) * (7/100) 400)/10)
    OBD Header to use:
    left blank

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For sensor 2 (Converter outlet temp):

OBD2 Mode and PID:
    21D9
    Long Name:
    Transmission Fluid Temperature 2
    Short Name:
    TFT 2
    Minimum Value:
    Maximum value:
    Scale factor:
    x1
    Unit Type:
    F (there is a degree symbol in Torque)
    Equation:
    ((((G*256)+H) * (7/100) 400)/10)
    OBD Header to use:
    left blank

2005 Sequoia SR5 4x4 - Intended for use in the mountains and towing the boat to lakes...actually used to be a "responsible" parent and take the kids from place to place?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Default Re: Transmission Temperatures using Torque App and OBDII Bluetooth Adapter

This seems to works great on my 2007 Sequoia ! Thanks ! What temps do you see just idling?

Liked
    5 times

Default Re: Transmission Temperatures using Torque App and OBDII Bluetooth Adapter

Thanks for resurrecting this thread! I also want to determine trans temps on my 2005. It has close to 170,000 miles, and I'd like to see the temps while towing my boat.

Back in early January, I bought the BAFX Bluetooth OBD2 Scan Tool off Amazon, and downloaded the Torque App. However, I couldn't get the trans temps to work, and never made time to figure out the process.

Using this information from Soder99, I was able to program the temps into Torque, and they worked perfect on the way to work this morning - woo hoo!

Here is a Torque screenshot from this morning. The temps are after I drove ~10 miles to work. Looking good so far...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sequoia_Trans_Temp_Screenshot.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	184849

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Yea, This was awesome doing my transmission fluid flush. Mine was running about 110 at the pan idling, but it around 30 degrees outside. Thanks Soder99

Liked
    5 times

Quote Originally Posted by vman858 View Post
    Yea, This was awesome doing my transmission fluid flush. Mine was running about 110 at the pan idling, but it around 30 degrees outside. Thanks Soder99
    According the manual, you're supposed to have your trans fluid temp between 115˚F and 130˚F when you set the final level using the overflow plug. If you were at 110˚F your level might be a little off, probably a hair too high...
    Last edited by SteveInCal; 03-07-2014 at 11:27 AM.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    274 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SteveInCal View Post
    According the manual, you're supposed to have your trans fluid temp between 115˚F and 130˚F when you set the final level using the overflow plug. If you were at 110˚F your level might be a little off, probably a hair too high...
    Coefficient of thermal expansion of ATF is about 0.0004/degree F
    So, 13 quarts x .0004 x 12.5 = 2.1 fluid ounces overfill.

So, one hair equals about two fluid ounces.
    Last edited by mibro; 03-07-2014 at 01:06 PM.

Liked
    5 times

Quote Originally Posted by mibro View Post
    Coefficient of thermal expansion of ATF is about 0.0004/degree F
    So, 13 quarts x .0004 x 12.5 = 2.1 fluid ounces overfill.

So, one hair equals about two fluid ounces.
    That's good knowledge

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveInCal View Post
    I put it in drive with the ebrake on and foot on the brake. Gave it a little gas and got pan temp up to 130. Let it go down to about 122 and did the check. I think I'm good. Thanks!

Liked
    53 times

I setup my Torque app on android with the PIDs above and it doesn't register. I have an 03 with a manufacture date of Aug 02. I thought the scanguage could read our trans temps so I'm hoping someone can offer an assist here...

I'm getting ready to install the flex-a-lite fan and want a baseline for my trans temp.
    2015 Tundra Limited Crewmax, 4x4, Black

2003 Tundra V8, Black, Access Cab
    - 2002-2014 - Great truck!!

Liked
    9 times
    Images

Thanks for the info, just placed my order for this!
    2007 Sequoia SR5
    Hella 700 series driving lights
    Bilstein 5100 set at 2" front
    Bilstien 4600 in rear
    TRD air filter with charcoal filter delete
    Rage full length roof basket
    20% tint on front windows
    Total Chaos dif drop kit
    Amsoil

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.