Front End Vibration

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front End Vibration

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Default Front End Vibration

My Sequoia is in the shop right now! They are telling me that the noise from the front end (kind of sounds like when you get too far off the edge of the freeway and you hit those ribs on the side of the road, just quieter) is normal!!! They say its the front driveshaft. I've seen some talk about this on the board, and was wondering if anyone has seen any resolution to this issue.
    Thanks!
    Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Front End Vibration

I had this same symptom at 500 miles.. Replaced right front hub and front differential. Cured the problem.. It was primarily at slower speeds in 2WD. Went away when 4WD was engaged! Am now at 20,000 miles with no further problems.. Plus had DJ's excellent suggested front end alignment specs which 'transformed' my Sequoia from a road wanderer with no steering feel to a wonderful 'tracker' with some vague steering feel!

Liked
    0 times

Another possibility which I forgot to mention was those wonderful $59 Dunlop OEM tires if yours is so equipped.. Consider new Michelins or getting them balanced with the super balance system (whose name excapes me), moved around, etc.. Tires are many times a culprit in Sequoia vibrations..

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

I opened a case with Toyota today. They also said it is happening to all 2002 Sequoia's & Tundra's to some extent (when they're cold). They claim they're working on a solution and will let me know when they have a solution. So, I guess I live with it for now... Arrrrrr!

DJ
    Supporter
    Liked
    464 times

quote:
    Originally posted by georgeseq:
    Another possibility which I forgot to mention was those wonderful $59 Dunlop OEM tires if yours is so equipped.. Consider new Michelins or getting them balanced with the super balance system (whose name excapes me), moved around, etc.. Tires are many times a culprit in Sequoia vibrations

It's a GSP9700 by Hunter Engineering. Go see
    http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/FindGSP9700.cfm

http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/ba...159T/4159t.pdf

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

One thing they mentioned was that it wouldn't happen in 4WD.... I tried and it yesterday, and sure enough, the noise goes away in 4WD...

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Winter weather is back here in MN, and so is my vibration! Anyone else had this problem and got it fixed?

Thanks!

Liked
    0 times

Have them do the Brake TSB, which includes repacking/replacing the front hub bearings and seals. Have them use synthetic grease, which will make the bearings last for a lifetime. I talked to the dealer about the grease and he'll use it if it is in spec and if I provide it. I use Amsoil non-moly in bearings.

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Ok, call me slow... I looked in the TSB's for the 2002 Seq and didn't see a brake related one?? Do you know the TSB # you used to get them to do the work?

Thanks!

Liked
    0 times

Look at the Tundra brake TSBs and the many threads on this Post regarding such. It applies to both vehicles. I personally watched a Tech finish the TSB on a 4X4 Sequoia last week - new calipers, brake hoses, steering knuckles, pads, rotors, caliper ear brackets, seals and repack/replace bearings. Each front side was torn down to the half-shaft, and replaced with new parts!!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

i have just noticed on my 2003 sequoia some similar symptoms noted on this forum. it is a slight noise (bearing noise), like you are on a rough road. placing in 4wd, the noise goes away. i am a master certified tech and i plan to inspect this week. when i find a resolution, i will post. it does not sound to me like differential failure because it would be more pronounced in 4wd if that were the case. it started happening after i placed in 4wd for the 1st time this winter season. it sounds more like something just is not completely disengaging when placed back into 2wd. hopefully this will be a cheap fix. would love to hear anyonelses fix to this problem if seen before. may save me some diagnostic time! thanks!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Dealer kept giving me the run around (4 months) saying they could not hear the noise! Call Toyota 800 line a lodged a complaint. Took it back to dealer... and they finally noticed the sound. They replaced the entire transfer case (warranty). Be specific to dealer.. look @ transfer case or front diff.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I get a vibration like that and I've linked it to the fan speed on the heating system. I can feel the vibration nad hear it but when I turn down fan speed it goes away...

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I have had a vibration issue since new on my 04. Only around 38-42 mph, in 2wd, worse when cold. Went away in 4wd. I brought it in twice in the first year of ownership, the dealer said it was normal. Oddly, now that it is 3 years old and has 50K on it, the vibration is just about gone. I barely notice it. Not sure why.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I have an issue that sounds to be about the same as what you guys say here...

Bearing noise from the front end(it sounds like it's somewhere around the front half of the transmission/clutch area or possibly the front axel)... it's speed sensitive and happens in all gears and also in neutral regardless of whether the clutch is in or out, and even does it when I shut the motor off and coast to a stop in neutral from about 45 MPH. It's only noticeable when it's cold out.. like below 40-45 degrees, and it's worse the colder it gets out... yet the noise generally goes away for the most part after about 10 minutes of driving.

I have no idea what it is, but I hope it's not a transmission bearing or transfer case bearing, as my truck is far out of warranty now(2001 year truck), with about 73K miles on it.

The last few times I tested it, it only did it in 2WD, but I'm going to try it in 4WD tonight or tomorrow and see if it's still only noticeable as a 2WD problem... since the noise seems to have gotten louder in the past 2 months and I could probably hear it better now in 4WD than before(especially since it's really frickin cold out lately).

I'd love to hear if anyone else gets anywhere with this and tracks down the problem... please update us if anyone has found the problem.
    -2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT, Diamond Graphite/Graphite, Navigation, Aero Package, Premium, Brembo Brakes with Project Mu B-Force Pads, Z-Tube and Amsoil EA Air Filter, 3/8" Motordyne Plenum, 18" Wheels w/ Falken Fk-452's 245/40/18 - 255/45/18
    -2001 Toyota Tacoma Stepside SR5 5-Speed 4X4 with crappy Nerf Bars, Bedliner and Tonneau Cover, Amsoil EA Nanofiber Air Filter, Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 275/70/16 Rubber, and a ScanGauge II

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)