Rear View Camera install

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear View Camera install

Liked
    0 times

Default Rear View Camera install

Hello All, I was wondering if anyone has installed a rear view camera in an 05 Sequoia? I've been looking for a place to mount the camera and decided that the keyhole is the best location. My problem is that I can't locate any screws or anything to remove the inside plastic on the tail gate lift. Does any one know how to remove it, or know an easier way to remove the key cylinder and replace it with a camera. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Question '05 Sequoia Nav unique?

I'm trying to do the same thing on my '05 with Nav. My worry right now is that the people I had override the safety "feature" to show the RES video while I'm driving (for the front passenger, of course) told me there were no additional inputs on the back of the Nav unit for a camera. They told me this after I emailed them a link to photos of a 2004 Camry Nav unit pointing out the inputs. Now I'm wondering if the Nav unit has changed for the '05 Sequoia or if it's a different unit that doesn't have inputs (they told me there were *no* inputs). It's possible these guys are wrong -- they didn't quite get override correct either. Are you installing the camera to work with the factory Navigation unit? If you've determined that the '05 Sequoia system is the same as one of the others (Solara, Camry) for which there is plenty of documentation, which one is it?

Liked
    0 times

I am looking to purchase the Eclipse AVN2454 . If I'm not mistaken eclipse make the Nav units for Toyota and Lexus. I think the 05 factory does have an imput for camera. If I'm not mistaken I read that on the www.oemvalue.com. I know that the eclipse and toyota use the same software. Check it out and tell me what you find out!

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I compared the pinouts for the 2005 Sienna NAV w/ backup camera and the 2005 Sequoia NAV. The pinouts on the existing wiring were identical (assuming that there was a typo in one of the two manuals regarding Sequoia TX+ and TX- labelled 9B & 10B vs Sienna TXM+ and TXM- labelled 9E and 10E.)

The only difference I could find is the Sienna adds a 4 pin connector named R10 that connects to camera connector T10. A look at the back of the 2005 Sequoia NAV head unit will confirm if there is a 4 wire (2x2) unused connection point. Anyone have a pic?

The R10 (connector) Toyota part number is 90980-12211
    The T10 (camera connector) Toyota part number is 90980-11013

I don't know what either part number includes such as if they include any of the wiring but a call to a good Toyota parts guy should do the trick.

ANYTIME told me that the plug and play camera is the Eclipse BEC103.

I too am interested in mounting locations for the camera along with installation pictures.

**** updated
    The Eclipse BEC103 or the updated BEC104 camera (4mm less in depth) seems to be the one to get.
    This long thread is a good read.
    Steve
    2005 Sequoia Limited
    2008 Camry Hybrid
    1997 Supra Turbo

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default pulling tailgate interior pannel

I have a 2002 and just finished pulling mine. There is one screw for a tie down I think (push up on the plastic cover to access the screw). The rest of the panel is held in by snaps. I just grab the corner and pull. It pops off.

Regarding the camera, check out Hitchcam.com. They have a lic plate mount and one that inserts in your hitch if you have a hitch. I am installing the lic plate version in my truck. You can just buy the camera part.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default BEC104 on an '05

I went ahead and bought the Fujitsu Ten Eclipse BEC104 and confirmed that the camera is a plug and play unit to the head unit. Here are some pictures of the head unit and camera.

I have yet to figure out the best way to route the wire from the head unit to the rear license plate holder. Any tips are appreciated.... (head liner, door sills, etc.?)

There are a couple more connectors on the back of the head unit. Does anyone know what they are for? (XM radio?)
    Steve
    2005 Sequoia Limited
    2008 Camry Hybrid
    1997 Supra Turbo

Liked
    0 times

I mounted my backup camera in the trailer hitch cover, the rubber one that says Toyota on it. I just drilled a hole in the cover for the lense to see thru then ran the wires out the back of the hitch and followed the factory wires to an entry point on the drivers side near the hatch back. I removed the drivers side rear interior quarter pannel and pulled the wires up and then proceded towards the front of the Sequoia, then under the drivers seat to the center console and up to the head unit. 25 foot cable did the trick with some to spare. I put a set of connectors in the hitch so the camera can easily be removed (or stolen for that matter) if I ever need to tow something. (not likely) The total cost was $99.00 for camera and $4.95 for 25' video cable and $2 for power wire and solderless connectors. (tapped power at the rear 12v accessory jack near the spot where cables come up from under sequoia).

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Steve97TT
    I went ahead and bought the Fujitsu Ten Eclipse BEC104 and confirmed that the camera is a plug and play unit to the head unit. Here are some pictures of the head unit and camera.

I have yet to figure out the best way to route the wire from the head unit to the rear license plate holder. Any tips are appreciated.... (head liner, door sills, etc.?)

There are a couple more connectors on the back of the head unit. Does anyone know what they are for? (XM radio?)
    Other connectors on the rear of the nav are for a microphone/switch combo for giving handsfree voice commands for the nav and radio (which I am finally getting pretty good at but it's taken a while), and another for XM module that I just added this week and is wonderful. The blue jack is supposedly for bluetooth for handsfree cellphones to work through the nav unit and I am on the hunt right now for one of those modules. I alread have the rear cam - that was my first mod to mine (2004 model).
    2004 Tundra Doublecab 4x4 Salsa Red Pearl
    2004 Sequoia 4x2 Desert Sand Foglight Mod, NAV Mod, EC Rearview Mod

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I also installed XM this week - agreed it is great! I had to unplug the cd audio that goes to the rear seat entertainment system to plug in the XM receiver. It might be different for the '04 than the '05 but did you have to use a Y adapter and if so, do you have the part number?

Please do let us know about a bluetooth connector if you find anything. I've been casually searching and so far have found nothing other than noticing that in the nav diagnostics for the '05 the bluetooth option is greyed out (possibly meaning that it's only not plugged in just like the other options were greyed out before xm and camera installation.)

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by rcltrh
    Other connectors on the rear of the nav are for a microphone/switch combo for giving handsfree voice commands for the nav and radio (which I am finally getting pretty good at but it's taken a while), and another for XM module that I just added this week and is wonderful. The blue jack is supposedly for bluetooth for handsfree cellphones to work through the nav unit and I am on the hunt right now for one of those modules. I alread have the rear cam - that was my first mod to mine (2004 model).
    Steve
    2005 Sequoia Limited
    2008 Camry Hybrid
    1997 Supra Turbo

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Steve97TT
    I also installed XM this week - agreed it is great! I had to unplug the cd audio that goes to the rear seat entertainment system to plug in the XM receiver. It might be different for the '04 than the '05 but did you have to use a Y adapter and if so, do you have the part number?

Please do let us know about a bluetooth connector if you find anything. I've been casually searching and so far have found nothing other than noticing that in the nav diagnostics for the '05 the bluetooth option is greyed out (possibly meaning that it's only not plugged in just like the other options were greyed out before xm and camera installation.)

Steve
    Hey Steve. I didn't have rear seat audio, so I didn't need an adapter. Mine is a 2004 Camry Nav that I installed myself and have constantly added to as I cam across sources for add-ons. I actually have two of these units - one in my '04 Tundra DC and one in my '04 Sequoia and have been able to get every add-on in pairs so they are the same. Hopefully my source for the XM will also be able to get bluetooth add-ons. I'll post to the forum if I can find them and how they work.
    2004 Tundra Doublecab 4x4 Salsa Red Pearl
    2004 Sequoia 4x2 Desert Sand Foglight Mod, NAV Mod, EC Rearview Mod

Liked
    0 times

Question XM Receiver Location

Quote Originally Posted by rcltrh
    Hey Steve. I didn't have rear seat audio, so I didn't need an adapter. Mine is a 2004 Camry Nav that I installed myself and have constantly added to as I cam across sources for add-ons. I actually have two of these units - one in my '04 Tundra DC and one in my '04 Sequoia and have been able to get every add-on in pairs so they are the same. Hopefully my source for the XM will also be able to get bluetooth add-ons. I'll post to the forum if I can find them and how they work.
    Where are you guys mounting the xm receiver unit? Also, where did you find the xm receiver to purchase? I keep checking sites that others have indicated, but they aren't available now -- am I going to have to buy it from the dealer?

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

The Solara XM kit comes with just enough cabling for the antenna to be installed on the driver side rear roof above the lift gate. I mounted the XM receiver inside the pocket where the headrest is stored (but towards the front of that pocket so the headrest can still be stored there.) Unless one is going to extend the cabling that is the only option (if you want to place the antenna on the roof above the lift gate.)

I have no affiliation with them but I bought the XM radio parts (and for years have bought many other parts at heavily discounted prices compared to local dealers) from Champion Toyota in Houston, TX. Talk to Jeff @ www.toyotaworld.com. They have always provided top notch service and pricing. Champion's pricing beats oemvalue on the xm receiver.

Part numbers are on my page. I'll add pictures I took during the install sometime soon. The Y adapter (a plug and play part number is undetermined) is only used if you have the rear seat entertainment package. Right now I just have the RSE cd audio unplugged to allow the xm to work.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by biology tom
    Where are you guys mounting the xm receiver unit? Also, where did you find the xm receiver to purchase? I keep checking sites that others have indicated, but they aren't available now -- am I going to have to buy it from the dealer?
    Steve
    2005 Sequoia Limited
    2008 Camry Hybrid
    1997 Supra Turbo

Liked
    0 times

http://www.avelectronic.com/products.htm

Found this Number plate camera

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I just realized the original question was never answered here...

From memory regarding the liftgate:
    There are about 5 plastic clips that hold the top trim piece in place. Just pull the trim piece straight out.
    There are 3 clips holding each side trim piece - pull them straight out again.
    Take off the pull down handle.
    The large trim piece that covers the whole door pulls straight out on all edges except where it runs along the window. Along the window it slides up along the window to release.

The big metal piece covering the big whole that runs across the liftgate is held in by 3 white plastic clips and 10 bolts. Disconnect the three wiring harnesses clips. When the big metal cover is released you can reach behind and disconnect the clips holding the wiring harness to the cover.

I'd make sure that you're doing this in warmish temperatures to avoid having the plastic pieces break.

The key cylinder would be a very easy location to access once you have the liftgate apart.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by puertoroc
    Hello All, I was wondering if anyone has installed a rear view camera in an 05 Sequoia? I've been looking for a place to mount the camera and decided that the keyhole is the best location. My problem is that I can't locate any screws or anything to remove the inside plastic on the tail gate lift. Does any one know how to remove it, or know an easier way to remove the key cylinder and replace it with a camera. Thanks.
    Steve
    2005 Sequoia Limited
    2008 Camry Hybrid
    1997 Supra Turbo

Liked
    0 times
    Images

i mounted my camara rite under the trailer hitch and it has been working great the only thing is you really can't tell how far you are from things as you back up toward them. I was looking at my sisters land cruiser and noticed that the factory camara is mounted rite next to the licence plate (next to the licence plate light) pointing DOWN and by doing this you can see both the right corner and left corner of your rear bumper and you can tell much better how close you are to what ever your backing up toward. As far as XM radio, there was plenty of room under eather of the front seats for my reciever.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast