Sun Roof has a rattling Noise at 40+ MPH

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sun Roof has a rattling Noise at 40+ MPH

Liked
    0 times

Smile Sun Roof has a rattling Noise at 40+ MPH

2004 Toyota Seqoia SR5

Took to the dealer to perform TSB NV006-04, Title "Moon Roof (Sliding Door) Creak Noise" thinking that this would solve the noise problem that I experienced mostly on the freeway. The dealer wisely discovered when reading this TSB that my VIN# was not effected. However, the dealer lubed, tightened some loose hardware(?), and installed some foam/seals. Now the noise is muffled and not as obvious. However, the noise is still there. I plan on waiting sometime before I take it in again (while still under warranty).

Anyone have a similar problem with noise coming from the Sun/Moon Roof? Any suggestions for a good fix? In advance, thank you for your comments.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Something I've noticed on my '04 Sequoia SR5 is that when I hit about 50 mph with the moonroof fully retracted, I get a really weird sounding airpocket/oscillation inside. It goes away if a lower the liftgate window a bit. Probably not related to your problem, but I found it interesting.

Liked
    0 times

Default Sun Roof has a rattling Noise at 40+ MPH

Something I failed to mention in the original post was that this noise occurs with the Sun/Moon Roof CLOSED>

Liked
    0 times

Default oscilating air pocket

I noticed the same thing with my new '04 SR5. And was quite suprised to find it mentioned in the DVD I got in the mail from Toyota last week. It basically says when you push the button to retract the sunroof, it doesn't automatically go back all the way - to reduce wind noise, but that if you want it fully retracted, then press the button again adn it will continue all the way back.

Liked
    0 times

Anybody know if this effects the 03's (SR5)? Mine just started making a funny noise and does it only intermiitently.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by scottyj33
    Anybody know if this effects the 03's (SR5)? Mine just started making a funny noise and does it only intermiitently.
    My 03 SR5 is making the funny noise too.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Do any of you have a wind deflector... maybe this would help, we just had one installed on our 05 Seq, relatively inexpensive
    2005 Sequoia

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Noise

I can duplicate this noise when...
    driving around 50mph
    sunroof is closed
    sunshade is closed
    back door window is open

The weird noise is not bearable for any person in the vehicle, the sunshade actually vibrates up and down 5mm.

Sequoia 2001 SR5

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default You're not alone

Got it! It is the only thing wrong so far....
    2000 Black Ltd. TRD 4x4 Access Cab
    Donahoe Coilovers/Camburg Arms, 5100's rear, Hellwig, Dual Exhaust W/50 Flowmaster,, TC Rack Bushings,TC 1" Diff Drop, 265/75/16 Revo's, Pro Comp Alloys/Black, Westin Platinum Series Nerf Bars/Black, ARE Lid, Stock leather & burlwood dash, '05 tail lights
    2003 Phantom Gray Sequoia Ltd 4x2 (stock)

Liked
    0 times

Default The Fix The Solution The Answer to this Problem

The noise was actually discovered at the lower portion of the windshield. Possibly caused by the hood bud deflector. Jay Wolfe Toyota maintenance technician found the left and right external piller moldings loose and removed and insulated behind the trim. Code 61499 T91 T43. This fixed the problem! Outstanding work by Jay Wolfe Toyota in Ballwin, Missouri. Success at last. This was not easy problem to identify. Excellent, job by the dealership!!

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default NV006-04 2004-05-31 NOISE, VIBRATION & HARSHNESS MOON ROOF (SLIDING ROOF) CREAK NOISE

I have an '03 Limited with 37K and the sunroof creaks terribly. It creaks 100% of the time... open closed etc.. I'm just out of factory warranty. Has anyone performed this procedure? How difficult is it.
    TSB-
    NV006-04 2004-05-31
    NOISE, VIBRATION & HARSHNESS MOON ROOF (SLIDING ROOF) CREAK NOISE

Liked
    0 times

Default Nv006-04 2004

I read this service bulletin and it is simply replacing a screw. The part number of the screw is identified in the service bulletin. However, you have to remove part of the upper ceiling lining, right paneling, etc. to get to this screw. However, I did not need to have this done and therefore am not knowledgeable of how difficult it is to remove the liner, etc.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Sun roof rattle

I read the TSB also and it seems like it is not a trivial procedure. Sure wish it was still in warranty.

Liked
    0 times

Smile Window Side Trim insulated

The fix for my problem was removing and reinstalling the window trim sides and insulating behind them. I neglected to mention the noise was found on the forward window not the Sun Roof as I had initially thought.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.