17" vs. 16" wheels

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: 17" vs. 16" wheels

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default 17" vs. 16" wheels

Realzing that this is probably a stupid question, I ask it anyway. Do the 17" wheels that are offered as part of the alloy wheel package (AG) raise the ride height over the 16" standard or alloy wheeels. I can't figure out if the 17" "wheels" just have bigger rims and a lower profile tire or if the rims are larger with the same or nearly the same profile on the tire as the 16" wheels, and hence higher ground clearance. My principal concern regards off roading and whether the 17's are worth the investment in terms of ground clearance. If they have a lower profile, I would guess that they would not be an improvement for off road situations, but I wouldn't be the one to ask. Otherwise, does the overall ride inmprove any with 17" wheels? If anyone can help me out here it would be a great help. Thanks. Charlie

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Wink Same

The ride should be the same no matter which rim size you get. When it comes to offroad the different rim size makes no difference. I do think it makes the truck a little higher to have 17 because My friend and I have the exact same truck and his is like less then a 1/4 inch taller. Nothing to base a buy off of. Because when you buy your first set of tires you can go to any size and change ride hieght by a little. I would save the money on the 17 and put it aomewhere else because the rim size makes no difference in anything but looks, and tire size you will need to buy in the future.
    '05 Tundra DC TRD 2 WHL: The TOW truck, Spectra Mica Blue, with Kenwood H/U, Kenwood Amp and crossover. Infinity 6010cs, 10" Rockford SUB, 6 disc CD Changer mounted in Center console, SWI-X to retain steering wheel controls, 7" TV with DVD. Tinted Windows, Three chamber Flowmaster, Painted front chrome strip

1994 Toy: The TOY Standard cab, Long travel front pulling13" w/Double fox w/Res, Deaver rear at 18" w/Single 2.5 18" fox w/Res., full glass, Bumper to Bumper cage, Gusseted frame, PRP seats, Crow harnesses, Custom steering(All Heims & Chromoly), Grant steering wheel, Smoothest ride around. OH by the way only 70,000 miles.

Liked
    0 times

Rim size will make a difference if you want to stay at stock gear calibrated diameter. If you want a bigger rim, then the tire needs to be smaller. If you don't care about staying at the recommended tire diameter then, rim and tire choice will make no difference.

Meaning, if we compared your 16" wheel on stock 265/70/16, and decided to go with the current stock application of the Sequoia which is, 17" wheel on a 265/65/17, you would lose 5mm of sidewall height. For offroad I think many would rather require more sidewall. That means if you offroad, that might not be the way you would want to go. You do have the choice of adding whatever size tire you want but, you need to make sure how off your speedometer is going to be afterwards.

I was running the stock 16" on 265/70/16 tire, and just replaced my wheels for another set of 16's on 275/70/16. With the larger tire, my speedometer is going to be off 1 mile per hour. So when my speedo is saying 60, I'm really cruising at 61.

Hope this helps....
    2013 Tundra Crewmax Bone Stock

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by saturnbar
    Do the 17" wheels that are offered as part of the alloy wheel package (AG) raise the ride height over the 16" standard or alloy wheeels?
    Short answer - NO, given factory tire spec. The overall diameter of the two choices should be identical.

The ride QUALITY will change - hence the off-road vs highway tire choices on same rims.

Off road goes for more tire sidewall depth, better cushioning of rim.

Highway goes for stiffer, lower sidewall for lower rolling resistance, more road feel.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by saturnbar
    Realzing that this is probably a stupid question, I ask it anyway. Do the 17" wheels that are offered as part of the alloy wheel package (AG) raise the ride height over the 16" standard or alloy wheeels. I can't figure out if the 17" "wheels" just have bigger rims and a lower profile tire or if the rims are larger with the same or nearly the same profile on the tire as the 16" wheels, and hence higher ground clearance. My principal concern regards off roading and whether the 17's are worth the investment in terms of ground clearance. If they have a lower profile, I would guess that they would not be an improvement for off road situations, but I wouldn't be the one to ask. Otherwise, does the overall ride inmprove any with 17" wheels? If anyone can help me out here it would be a great help. Thanks. Charlie
    Here's a great site for seeing the difference that rim and tire size makes.
    www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks to all for responding, 16's it is. Charlie