Fuel level sensor malfunction?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel level sensor malfunction?

Liked
    0 times

Default Fuel level sensor malfunction?

Our fuel level indicator seems to have gotten a tad buggy in the last few months. We're at 45K on the '03 Sequoia SR5.

The first instance was when I had started the engine and the fuel needle wavered and then dropped to where like negative 1/2 tank might be. Way down off the scale. It stayed there, so I just turned the truck off for a second and restarted - the indicator started that low but then worked its way back up to where it should have been. Very strange in itself, but wait...there's more!

It seems as though since that time, a full tank sits on the other side of the full line than it used to. Almost like how when your truck's loaded it displays a different amount of fuel. Wierd but not a biggie.

Finally, this weekend, on the final part of a 170-mile run, the indicator slowly drained from 1/4 tank to near empty (with the low-fuel light coming on) over the course of ten or twenty minutes. While I was rushing to get home to see Desparate Housewives and wondering if I was going to make it the final 20 miles without stopping for gas, traffic loomed up ahead and I had to jump on the binders. Lo and behold, at that very instant, the fuel light extinguished and the fuel level returned up to 1/4 tank. After getting home and then filling the next morning, it's clear that there was actually 1/4 tank in there at the time.

This is sounding more like a fuel level sendor/sensor issue, doesn't it?
    2003 TOYOTA Sequoia SR5: 89K, TRD cat-back, fueled by Chevron; M1 oil/filter
    2000 TOYOTA Epic S22: Powered by Lexus 1UZ w/VVTi, Chevron/M1
    1995 TOYOTA Hilux: 206K, any gas, any filter, first 100K Castrol Syntec, GTX since

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Had the same issue on my 01 sr5. fill the tank, and the gage reads empty, but the overhead computer says 400 MTE.

I had the extended warranty on the truck, so it didn't cost me anything. had 55k on it. Took them a few hours, as they had to drop the gas tank to get at that sensor.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

My did the same exact thing 2 weeks ago. Strange.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by mechengr
    Had the same issue on my 01 sr5. fill the tank, and the gage reads empty, but the overhead computer says 400 MTE.

I had the extended warranty on the truck, so it didn't cost me anything. had 55k on it. Took them a few hours, as they had to drop the gas tank to get at that sensor.
    I have the same problem with mine. Thinking of doing it myself, drop the tank and replace the sensor.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 CTD SRW 4x4 13,600 miles
    2005 Toyota Camry XLE 33,00 miles
    2002 Toyota Sequoia 2wd Limited. 90,000 miles.
    2002 Suzuki Katana 15,500 miles motorcycle
    2001 Toyota Avalon XLS. 78,600 miles.
    1992 Toyota Previa. 140,000 miles.
    1997 Acura Integra LS 106,000 miles.
    1990 Dodge Dakota 3.9L V6. 110,000 miles.

Liked
    0 times

Wife reported that she watched the fuel needle drop well below empty and she had the sense to check the DTE indication above...it still read 70-something miles to empty. I figured that the DTE would be like AVG MPG times fuel remaining, and if so....then the fuel level sensor was operating just fine and the dash indicator was hosed.

Wonder what gives there. Maybe will have them explain when we take it in for the knuckle recall.
    2003 TOYOTA Sequoia SR5: 89K, TRD cat-back, fueled by Chevron; M1 oil/filter
    2000 TOYOTA Epic S22: Powered by Lexus 1UZ w/VVTi, Chevron/M1
    1995 TOYOTA Hilux: 206K, any gas, any filter, first 100K Castrol Syntec, GTX since

ab
    Liked
    3 times
    Images

Same problem with my 00 Tundra, fixed under 3yr. warranty
    [SIZE="1"]00 TUNDRA V8 AC LTD / 03 SEQ LTD / 05 TUNDRA V6 Longbed (2) / 06 TUNDRA DC / 07 TACO DC / 93 Mr2 Turbo / 87 MR2

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

my 04 had this problem. used to park overnight, get in the next morning and would show empty. over 20mins of driving, the needle would very slowly creep up to the right level

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by bauerb
    my 04 had this problem. used to park overnight, get in the next morning and would show empty. over 20mins of driving, the needle would very slowly creep up to the right level
    Are you planning to fix this yourself? I read one of the post says the fuel sensor need to be replaced. I'm going to order the sensor today and replace the sensor this weekend.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 CTD SRW 4x4 13,600 miles
    2005 Toyota Camry XLE 33,00 miles
    2002 Toyota Sequoia 2wd Limited. 90,000 miles.
    2002 Suzuki Katana 15,500 miles motorcycle
    2001 Toyota Avalon XLS. 78,600 miles.
    1992 Toyota Previa. 140,000 miles.
    1997 Acura Integra LS 106,000 miles.
    1990 Dodge Dakota 3.9L V6. 110,000 miles.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Had same problem with my 03 Sequoia at 47K. Dealer replaced the fuel sender gauge assembly. From the posts on this thread, I would say Toyota needs to do a recall.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Fuel level sensor malfunction?

Mine is doing the same. 2003 Sequoia Ltd with 36K miles..Sucks for me.

Liked
    5 times
    Images

mine has done the same on a handful of occasions and the dealer said that they would have to recreate the problem. if it doesn't consistently do it, i'm screwed. thats retarded.

Liked
    0 times

My '03 Limited with 47k on it has been having fuel guage problems also. This has occured five times in the last six months. I will start it up and the guage will be on E with the Low Fuel light on (actual fuel level in tank does not matter) but the Trip Meter refelecting the actual available fuel. After a period of time driving, the guage will slowly creep up to the real fuel level.

The dealer gave me a similar line saying that they need the truck at the dealership to diagnose the problem. I don't normally make it a habit of hanging around the dealership waiting for a problem to arise.

Liked
    5 times
    Images

mine has been doing it consistently every tank now at a certain amount of fuel left. the problem is that it'll happen once, and if the dealer needs to see it they prob won't. i don't want them to drive my truck around and waste an entire tank of gas to fix it. its still my dollar. punks.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

My 04 ltd just started this weekend...I figured it was just the sub zero temps b/c as I drove it around, the level went up. Talked to guy with an 01 and he had same prob last year....i'm a little over my warranty (90K) so I may just not worry about it unless wifey notices it

Liked
    5 times
    Images

i still haven't fixed mine..bugs the crap out of me. but the dealer has to see it to believe it. and since it happens about 2-3 times a tank that limits the times that i am right next to my dealer at that moment to drive over there and prove it. and i'm not gunna let them joy ride it to find it and waste my tank.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast