How long do your brake pads last?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: How long do your brake pads last?

Liked
    0 times

Default How long do your brake pads last?

Here's the scoop:

You all know I had tire balancing problems. On last rotation & balance (1000 miles ago), my trustworthy shop said I had a little less than 50% left on my front pads. Shop w/ the hunter balancing machine didn't make any mention of needing brakes 3 weeks later.

Yesterday, (a subsequent 2 weeks) I had my ball joints replaced under the recall. Toyota dealer says I have 3/32 left on the front pads & recommends replacement. Says that last 1 or 2 32nds goes really quick & will eat into the rotors if I don't get them done soon. I tell them no & now need to go back to my trustworthy shop to have 'em rechecked, as I don't trust the dealer (major issue w/ them not doing work for a friend, but charging him).

Problem is, I went to high school w/ the tech @ the Toyota dealer AND he's brother-in-law w/ the trustworthy shop owner. I don't know who's zooming who @ this point & I don't have time to deal w/ it myself.

How many miles do you guys typically get out of your front pads - OEM?

Mommy drives it every day & is fairly hard on the brakes. We used to only get 20k on pads in our Explorer prior to this.

Thanks for your comments!
    2004 Toyota Sequoia Limited
    - Phantom Grey Pearl
    2001 Mercedes Benz CLK430
    - Brilliant Silver
    2006 Honda Accord EXL V6 w/ Nav
    - Silver

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

SOunds like it is time to change the pads. Pads are easy to change. I just jack the truck up remove the wheel and remove the pads. Look at the rotor. I tend to change my pads before I need to. Pads are cheap and easy. I do not turn the rotors unless there is a problem and as I change the pads more frequently, there is no worry. Brake action is gooooood. Do NOT put OFF!

Quote Originally Posted by JrzyTom
    Here's the scoop:

You all know I had tire balancing problems. On last rotation & balance (1000 miles ago), my trustworthy shop said I had a little less than 50% left on my front pads. Shop w/ the hunter balancing machine didn't make any mention of needing brakes 3 weeks later.

Yesterday, (a subsequent 2 weeks) I had my ball joints replaced under the recall. Toyota dealer says I have 3/32 left on the front pads & recommends replacement. Says that last 1 or 2 32nds goes really quick & will eat into the rotors if I don't get them done soon. I tell them no & now need to go back to my trustworthy shop to have 'em rechecked, as I don't trust the dealer (major issue w/ them not doing work for a friend, but charging him).

Problem is, I went to high school w/ the tech @ the Toyota dealer AND he's brother-in-law w/ the trustworthy shop owner. I don't know who's zooming who @ this point & I don't have time to deal w/ it myself.

Mommy drives it every day & is fairly hard on the brakes. We used to only get 20k on pads in our Explorer prior to this.

2004 Toyota Sequoia SR5 V8 - 4.7L - 2WD -
    17" Stock Alum. Rims - Brush Guard - Window/Sunroof Vents - (4) 7.5" on each head rest LCD Screens with DVD Player (Fixed) - Hood bug deflector - K&N Air Filter Cool System - Brush Guard Bumper - Removable Rear Hitch Stainless Steel Bumper - My vehicle

---------------------------------------------------
    2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 - 4.0L - 4WD -
    17" Stock Alum. Rims - Window Vents - (2) 6.0"on each head rest LCD Screens with DVD Player (Portable) - Low Bumper Brush Guard - Hood bug deflector - Her vehicle

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JrzyTom
    Here's the scoop:

I am VERY hard on my brakes...I have 11000 miles going on 12000 miles I just put new tires and on and I noticed I will need new brakes within the next 2000 miles....So, I am getting new brakes next oil change....These things eat them up!!!!!! Johnnny
    2004 Ford Lightning (Sonic Blue)
    2003 Cobra with LOTS of work : ) (BLACK)
    1996 Cobra (White)
    1999 Tacoma 4 wheel drive (Purple in Color)
    2002 Tundra Limited (Dark Green or Jade In Color)
    2002 Chevy Corvette Z06 (Candy Apple Red)
    2003 HighLander Limited (Silver In Color)
    2005 Sequoia Limited (Phantom Grey)

Liked
    2 times
    Images

20k out of the first set. Wife is not easy on brakes. Comparison factor. '94 Ford Explorer was prior vehicle. 12k if I was lucky and a couple cracked rotors just too top it off. in 6 years I has seven sets of pads and 3 replacement rotors.

20K from the Sequoia that's heavier, I'm ecstatic! Pads are real easy too change and not real $$. If in doubt, change them now.

Liked
    2 times

somewhere between 20k-30k miles seems to be normal lifetime for the oem pads with typical driving patterns (50% city/50% hwy). Some have gone 50+k miles when driving is mostly hwy.

I would recommend replacing them now and upgrading to the Hawk HPS pads. Always a good idea to have the rotors turned if they have any visible ridging on the wear surface or if you feel any vibration/shudder when braking.
    2009 Camry Hybrid (wife's car)
    2007 Tundra Crewmax Limited TRD 4X4 (What a truck!!!)
    2001 Sequoia Limited (for sale)
    1999 Solara SLE (kid's car)
    1995 T100 DX 4x4 (my tonka toy, but its gotta go as my wife says I don't need 2 trucks )
    2000 Mustang (black sheep of the family)

Liked
    0 times

Thanks guys! Guess it's time. I definitely subscribe to the same theory of when in doubt...
    2004 Toyota Sequoia Limited
    - Phantom Grey Pearl
    2001 Mercedes Benz CLK430
    - Brilliant Silver
    2006 Honda Accord EXL V6 w/ Nav
    - Silver

DJ
    Supporter
    Liked
    376 times

By sheer coincidence, I rotated the tires on my '00 Tundra yesterday. While I had the opportunity, I inspected the brake pads and shoes and cleaned the rear brakes.

The rear brakes are working just fine and the pads look almost new. The front pads are worn. The outer pads are down to 5/32 inch; and the inner pads are about 1/4 inch. Sometime in the next month or so, I'll replace the pads.

The best part is that these are the original pads and shoes, I've never done anything to the brakes except clean the dust and such out of the rears, and the truck has almost 71,000 miles on it.

Veteran Member student's tundra's Avatar
    Liked
    17 times

Just changed my brake pads yesterday. I had the pads changed and the truck test driven in about a hour to a hour and half. Gotta love how easy Toyota makes it change brake pads. Which is definitely a good thing as it looks like I am only going to get 15,000 miles for a set of pads. Rears still had about 75% material so they were ok, I simply just put on my 3rd set of pads (2nd OEM replacement). Definitely easier than a ford and a lot cleaner.
    2003 2WD Tundra Imperial Jade TRD offroad
    2.5" Camburg C/O w/ 14" 600lb King springs
    285/75/16 BFG A/T and 16x8 KMC Black Enduro's
    4.30 R/P, Magnaflow 18", Superlift Tru-speed
    Pace Edwards Roll Top Cover, 06 Headlight conversion
    ATS sports grille (Awaiting paint and install)
    Cant leave good enough alone

DJ
    Supporter
    Liked
    376 times

I changed my original front pads this afternoon at 71,109 miles. I underestimated the wear, so it turns out I really didn't need to change them. Next time I'll check more thoroughly.

New pads are 15/32" thick, and my old pads ranged from 7/32" to 10/32" thick. Leaving 1mm minimum, I could have gone about 122,000 miles.

My wife's Sequoia has 54,xxx miles on it and has much less wear on the pads. I think I'll let 'em go a mite longer ...

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Brakes

Got new tires yesterday and today checked the brakes as a couple oil changes ago said they only had about 10k left on them.

I've got 37k on the Sequoia right now and looking at the OEM brakes I doubt I'll have to change them for another 20-30 easy. I would expect (given our driving patterns) that the fronts will last around 50k minimum.

OEM Dunlop tires lasted around 35-40k. Replaced the plugs yesterday for good measure.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dssprophet
    I am VERY hard on my brakes...I have 11000 miles going on 12000 miles I just put new tires and on and I noticed I will need new brakes within the next 2000 miles....So, I am getting new brakes next oil change....These things eat them up!!!!!! Johnnny

Well, I drove to Florida and back to Jersey within the past month and put about 2500 miles total on my Sequoia. This past Friday I got my oil changed and new brakes front and rear at 14500 miles. I had the front and rear rotors cut as well. I didn't need rear brakes at all but I had it done anyway. The front brakes where shot, the wear sensors where just starting to touch. I managed to get the entire brake job covered under warranty. When I bought my Sequoia they threw in free Oil Changes for 3 years so when it was time to pick it up it was nice to just have to sign my name and not have to pay a dime! Now I just can't wait till we get a major snow storm so I can try out these Revo A/T's. So far I like everything about them. Johnnny
    2004 Ford Lightning (Sonic Blue)
    2003 Cobra with LOTS of work : ) (BLACK)
    1996 Cobra (White)
    1999 Tacoma 4 wheel drive (Purple in Color)
    2002 Tundra Limited (Dark Green or Jade In Color)
    2002 Chevy Corvette Z06 (Candy Apple Red)
    2003 HighLander Limited (Silver In Color)
    2005 Sequoia Limited (Phantom Grey)