2003 Sequoia horn problem

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2003 Sequoia horn problem

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default 2003 Sequoia horn problem

First timer here...looking for help,of course, but have found lots of stuff already on this site that has helped me. Right now, I have a shorted horn wire. I have continuity between ground and the 'black-yellow' coming off the clock spring, and also between ground and the red-white wire in the fuse block. I should not see that as the 'make ground' on the horn relay closes the horn power circuit. I have a wiring diagram from Toyota that shows a "HORN ECU" and that is where the 'blackyellow' wire turns to 'white-red'. Where is that ECU? For the life of me I cannot find it. I know it is not engine side of the firewall.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

welcome to TS. im sorry i cant offer much help, but i bet a buch of TS.ers will chime in soon. meanwhile, till the horn gets fixed, id just use my finger.
    MODS: (TRD Urban package) - tint, stereo, jack-in-the box antennae ball, and my middle finger.

~ been there, done that, got the panties ~

Assistant Administrator nhparrot's Avatar
    Liked
    19 times

The horn is connected to the Body ECU and activated by the Body ECU during warning of the theft deterrent system or when the horn switch is turned on. The Body Ecu is behind the instrument panel, it is not something for the a "novice shade tree mechanic" to be fooling with.
    ~Glenn
    Yes I am a pirate!

"To err is human. To arrr is pirate."

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the info. I don't want to touch it! Any thoughts on why the horn circuit is shorting to ground? This is a rebuild salvage vehicle that took a right front hit and the horn short one of two things I have yet to fix. I guess it could be something in the anti-theft. Thoughts?

The other issue, and I'll start a new thread on this, is the drivers airbag. I get 9.6V across the connector coming from the clock spring. Should be zero, right? I have brand new computer, sensors and bags. Passenger side is fine. The drivers side connector at the bag was melted during deployment of original bag. But the wires are fine. Any idea why I would see voltage there? Thanks!

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I dont know about you guys but I couldnt see driving such a large vehicle and having such a wimpy factory horn. Find the horn trigger coming out of the column it should be a ground a hook up a relay and a loud horn. I hooked up a whelen 100 watt air horn it really gets peoples attention.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

And the anti-theft still sounds on the original horns?

Assistant Administrator nhparrot's Avatar
    Liked
    19 times

Quote Originally Posted by Robc
    And the anti-theft still sounds on the original horns?
    Theft Deterrent System triggers the horn and a second theft deterrent horn.

Robc - see http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...-horn-problem/
    ~Glenn
    Yes I am a pirate!

"To err is human. To arrr is pirate."

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks so much for all of the information! I did narrow it down to the body ECU. I did not attempt to modify/fix it...I just by-passed it and the horn works normally. I think the security horn alone is enough alarm for me. Everything else that goes througth the body ECU seems to be working, so that's kind of a head scratcher! Thanks again!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.