Do performance chip module really work?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do performance chip module really work?

Liked
    0 times

Smile Do performance chip module really work?

hey there just wanted to know if these performance chip modules really work like tha ones on ebay or any kind of brands do they really give it more horse power or nah thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Re: Do performance chip module really work?

Quote Originally Posted by OutKaSt
    hey there just wanted to know if these performance chip modules really work like tha ones on ebay or any kind of brands do they really give it more horse power or nah thanks.

They do work, more so in a car or truck with a turbo charger. If you have a car or truck without a turbo or super charger they also work but there is not as much of a power increase. What it boils down to is this: what does a chip do to get more power? Well, from what I am told the chip changes the temperature in witch the thermostat opens up so the engine always runs colder. Because the engine is running colder the cold start ejectors will stay on giving the engine more gas. More gas gives you a little more power. It also advances the timing a little. I'm sure the chip does a little more then what I am saying but honestly I don't think it's worth it unless you have a turbo on your car or truck. If you don't your never going to feel any difference seat of the pants. You will notice your gas mileage going to **** and heat might not work as good in the winter. Maybe someone else can post more technical info then I can. But honestly I don't think it's worth it. Johnnny
    2004 Ford Lightning (Sonic Blue)
    2003 Cobra with LOTS of work : ) (BLACK)
    1996 Cobra (White)
    1999 Tacoma 4 wheel drive (Purple in Color)
    2002 Tundra Limited (Dark Green or Jade In Color)
    2002 Chevy Corvette Z06 (Candy Apple Red)
    2003 HighLander Limited (Silver In Color)
    2005 Sequoia Limited (Phantom Grey)

Liked
    0 times

This will explain it some.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-injection5.htm

Basically, if you do no other changes to your car.. the chip won't do much, cuz the ECU doesn't have to do much adjusting.

The ECU will make adjustments to your driving style (hard on gas, ETC...) but like dssprophet stated, you won't really feel any difference. MAYBE slight increase in gas mileage, but not much

Once you start modding, exhaust, intake, cams, turbo.. etc.. then the chip will definitely help remap your fuel system.

Liked
    2 times

It also depends on the engine.

I have read that Toyota already tuned the 4.7 V8 very well, and that there was very little to be gained from adding a chip to it.

On the other hand, a chip (GIAC) in my N/A 2.0L 1996 Jetta made a HUGE difference in the way the car drove. I'm not sure how many HP it added, but my wife noticed it BIG time

Waiting for a chip for my 1.8T Turbo Passat (+45hp) but am going to skip it for the Sequoia because I dont think I will gain much.

Ben
    2007 Sequoia 4WD Limited
    2013 Ram 3500 MegaCab 6.7 Cummins Diesel 4WD
    2013 Sienna XLE AWD

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Sure does.....

But first you have to invest in a K&N air filter ($), JBA headers, ($$), and a performance exhaust, ($$). A UniChip will be ($$). Unfortunately, no S/C are available anymore.....bummer.

That being said, expect to spend around $2700, (for professional installation of the last three components). You will definitely see a modest improvement in performance. Make sure to use premium unlead and if your daring, add a touch of tolulene for good measure. Nice!!

Throttle response is a blast! The truck really spins up between 3,000 and 4,000 RPMs with the aforementioned mods. Ya gotta luvit!

Lata Slater!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

They really do not, you should see what this blog has to say about them not doing anythingPerformance Chip Tuning Racing ECU Car Chips Power Super Flash

Liked
    4 times
    Images

Well, I think the original question was in regards to the no-name chips found on places like ebay. I have never heard of anyone purchasing one, or installing one of those cheap knock-offs? From seeing them, it doesn't appear that they are even set up properly and are shown for models years that should have variation due to harness connection. I wouldn't trust a $60 chip on ebay or anywhere else for that matter.

If you want more information on chips, I think you may want to research Unichip. I know there is another manufacturer out there that makes chips for toyota, but I'm unfamiliar. From those who have used the Unichip on this site, it does work...but most people have them mapped for their modifications. Those who had the stock map were disappointed. Others seemed to enjoy the new map, but found that after time the computer would level things out, and it may require a reset at some point.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

I LOVE my Unichip!!!!

Unfortunatly I sold my Tundra and now i am looking selling my chip. If you are interested let me know...
    2002 TOYOTA TUNDRA LTD – 265/75/17 Yokohama Geolander with 17” FJ Cruiser wheels – TRD Dual Cat back – JBA Shorty headers – K&N Dropin Filter – Dastek Unichip Q Series with Flux PDA and custom Dyno Tuned Map - Garmin Nuvi 1690 – Line X Bed Liner – TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau Cover - Luverne 3" mandrell bent Side Steps – Toyota OEM Brake Upgrade (TSB) - PowerSlot Cryo Rotors - Hawk LTS Pads -Smittybuilt Grill Saver - Hella 500 Spot Lights & Clear covers - Tint front side windows - Toyota "Tundra" door sill protectors - Hellwig Rear sway bar - Bilstein 2.5" lift front and Bilstein 1.25" lift Rear

Audio upgrades - Alpine CDA-117 HU, Alpine PDX F4 (100w RMS x 4), Alpine PDX M6 (600w RMS x 1), Alpine RUX- KNOB, Boston S60's front, Boston SC65's Rear, Boston G310-44 Sub woofer, eKo Knu Power and Ground, 6 Channel Monster RCA's all round. (119.4 db)

Future Modifications - Dynamat.

SOLD

Click here for something fun to watch! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqXvQ8X4UJI

2002 Ford Explorer XLT – BabyMobile (Wife’s car) (“,)

Liked
    0 times

Those ebay "Chips" are just resistors that you put inline in the MAF (mass air flow) wiring , that tells the computer that the air change is more dence (colder) than it is and that way the compuer will componsate throwing more fuel at the motor. This will give you a burst of fuel at WOT (wide open throttle) but also this will cause the motor to not accuratly burn off all build up in the motor.

Banned
    Liked
    0 times

I was wondering this too, but it looks like no they don't work at all. I was reading this article about it, and it looks these things don't work at all
    Last edited by bimmer4life2009; 09-16-2009 at 05:17 PM.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

With alld o respect... thes jet chips and performance modules and crap you buy at the "keep in a cool dry place" stores is a huge waist of money. I have seen really amazing things with the Dastek Unichip. I have one on my truck with the wrong map loaded and apart from it being a little rough I got a +- 20HP increase and this you can feel in the day to day drivability of the truck. Would I spend all that money again.... Probably not but would I buy a working used unit for less... Absolutely.

Contact Tony Woest at Unichip USA for any aditional info.

Tony Woest | Research and Development | Unichip of North America
    800.UNI-CHIP p | 503.640.7465 d | 503.214.6444 f
    2615 SE 39th Loop, Suite B | Hillsboro, OR | 97123
    http://www.unichip.us

2002 TOYOTA TUNDRA LTD – 265/75/17 Yokohama Geolander with 17” FJ Cruiser wheels – TRD Dual Cat back – JBA Shorty headers – K&N Dropin Filter – Dastek Unichip Q Series with Flux PDA and custom Dyno Tuned Map - Garmin Nuvi 1690 – Line X Bed Liner – TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau Cover - Luverne 3" mandrell bent Side Steps – Toyota OEM Brake Upgrade (TSB) - PowerSlot Cryo Rotors - Hawk LTS Pads -Smittybuilt Grill Saver - Hella 500 Spot Lights & Clear covers - Tint front side windows - Toyota "Tundra" door sill protectors - Hellwig Rear sway bar - Bilstein 2.5" lift front and Bilstein 1.25" lift Rear

Audio upgrades - Alpine CDA-117 HU, Alpine PDX F4 (100w RMS x 4), Alpine PDX M6 (600w RMS x 1), Alpine RUX- KNOB, Boston S60's front, Boston SC65's Rear, Boston G310-44 Sub woofer, eKo Knu Power and Ground, 6 Channel Monster RCA's all round. (119.4 db)

Future Modifications - Dynamat.

SOLD

Click here for something fun to watch! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqXvQ8X4UJI

2002 Ford Explorer XLT – BabyMobile (Wife’s car) (“,)

Banned
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by bimmer4life2009 View Post
    I was wondering this too, but it looks like no they don't work at all. I was reading this article about it, and it looks these things don't work at all
    Hey thank for the article. Everyone should stay away from these things. they are junk

sp04342

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny Rock View Post
    Well, from what I am told the chip changes the temperature in witch the thermostat opens up so the engine always runs colder. Because the engine is running colder the cold start ejectors will stay on giving the engine more gas. More gas gives you a little more power.

This is false. The thermostat is a mechanical device, the spring on the thermostat is deigned to open at a pre determined tempature depending on what tempature thermostat you have installed, generally either a 180 or 195 degree, so computer device can alter this. On older model 2.4L and 3.0L there was a cold start injector, not on the 4.7L, the old style "fuel inrichment" boxes would splice into the tempature sensor wires going to the ECM and could fool the ECM into thinking the engine was colder than it really was.

However the notion of more gas means more power is also incorrect. All more fuel does is flood the engine and cause you to blow black smoke. To generate more power it goes back to the 3 basics that an engine needs to run regardless of fuel injection or carburated. Fuel, air and spark and adding more of either one does not make more power, you need all 3 in proportional quantities to make power, hence if you have a supercharger or turbo which forces more air into the combustion chamber, adding more fuel is a necessity otherwise the engine will run too lean which will cause extreme heat in the cylinders. Fuel injection with all it's complex sensors and wires just takes the guess work out and the ECM compensates to run at optimal power 99% of the time.

It all goes back to the basics, but there is no magic box out there for $200 that is going to give you any noticeable power, Toyota engineers have already done this. Supercharging or turbo is the only way you will see a huge difference and dolar for dollar the biggest bang for your buck.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

There is one chip that works really well on the Tundras. It was designed by a Toyota Tech and Ford Tech. It's the GT Hiperchip. There are two chips available a stage one and a stage two. the stage one is an under the hood chip but the stage two that was just released is a fully adjustable chip that mounts to the dash or console. Rumor has it that it even outperformed the jet v-chip. Just google gt hiperchip and it should pull it up for you. I use one on my Tacoma and it does what it says so I would have to say I'm a believer. I think it can be contributed that it works well because it's not a resistor mod like the cheap ones on ebay but an actual chip. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by goldiewang; 11-26-2011 at 08:17 PM.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Actually these things work and with some other performance parts they work perfectly. Some are just fake in the market. But in reality it is true. These chips actually removes the limitation from your car engine which are set for average users when they come from factory. If you think overclocking computer processor works then I am sure these things also works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 05-27-2009, 06:57 AM
  2. 01-22-2008, 08:44 PM
  3. 01-22-2008, 07:00 PM
  4. 01-22-2008, 06:57 PM