Changing Rear Sequoia Shocks

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Changing Rear Sequoia Shocks

Liked
    0 times

Default Changing Rear Sequoia Shocks

Do yourself a favor, when trying to loosen the top bolt, get a 17mm box end wrench and turn to lock it against the frame. Use a big pair of channel locks or pipe wrench to rotate the upper shock tube. Hope that the bolt is so rusted on that it just breaks the stud. Make sure you use some sort of never seize when putting the new shock on and use a new top locking nut. Give yourself some time and have patience. Changing these shocks is a bit of a pain in the arsh.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1 times

Default Re: Changing Rear Sequoia Shocks

Quote Originally Posted by Stooge
    Do yourself a favor, when trying to loosen the top bolt, get a 17mm box end wrench and turn to lock it against the frame. Use a big pair of channel locks or pipe wrench to rotate the upper shock tube. Hope that the bolt is so rusted on that it just breaks the stud. Make sure you use some sort of never seize when putting the new shock on and use a new top locking nut. Give yourself some time and have patience. Changing these shocks is a bit of a pain in the arsh.
    And be real careful to thread properly and secure the upper mount when installing the new one. Had one strip out completely because of somewhat sloppy install.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by pastorbrad
    And be real careful to thread properly and secure the upper mount when installing the new one. Had one strip out completely because of somewhat sloppy install.
    Made me worry about this rear shock install. I had my 19 year old son replaced my rear shocks last few weeks. He said it was easy and no problem removing the bolts. Maybe I need to QA his work just to be sure, he installed the new shocks properly.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 CTD SRW 4x4 13,600 miles
    2005 Toyota Camry XLE 33,00 miles
    2002 Toyota Sequoia 2wd Limited. 90,000 miles.
    2002 Suzuki Katana 15,500 miles motorcycle
    2001 Toyota Avalon XLS. 78,600 miles.
    1992 Toyota Previa. 140,000 miles.
    1997 Acura Integra LS 106,000 miles.
    1990 Dodge Dakota 3.9L V6. 110,000 miles.

Liked
    0 times

so what shocks did you folks use? OEM or AM? thanks!

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Simias
    so what shocks did you folks use? OEM or AM? thanks!
    I used OEM shocks. The problem I have, it seems the ride is rough on the new replacement rear shocks. I might have gotten the wrong part....I have 2 wheel drive Sequoia.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 CTD SRW 4x4 13,600 miles
    2005 Toyota Camry XLE 33,00 miles
    2002 Toyota Sequoia 2wd Limited. 90,000 miles.
    2002 Suzuki Katana 15,500 miles motorcycle
    2001 Toyota Avalon XLS. 78,600 miles.
    1992 Toyota Previa. 140,000 miles.
    1997 Acura Integra LS 106,000 miles.
    1990 Dodge Dakota 3.9L V6. 110,000 miles.

Liked
    0 times

Just put on Bilstien HD's this evening and some custome rear coils. yes it was a pain in the arse. Took about 4-5 hours.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by dfunk
    Just put on Bilstien HD's this evening and some custome rear coils. yes it was a pain in the arse. Took about 4-5 hours.

What custom coils did you install? Was your SQ 4WD? I have a 2WD and thought about installing 4WD coils in there along with Bilstein HD.

Thanks.
    2002 SEQUOIA SR5
    2.0 SAW WITH TC UPPERS
    LT285/75/16 BFG'S on 16X8 JAOS VICTRON EXCEL II
    2.5 INCHES DOWNEY REAR COILS
    JBA HEADERS WITH MAGNAFLOW MUFFLERS
    TRUE FLOW AIR INTAKE KIT

Liked
    0 times
    Images

I recently replaced the shocks for my general manager's Seq. We did the same thing as Stooge did,the studs just snapped off since they were so rusted. We used OEM shocks in front,but the rears were on backorder for several weeks so we used Monroe Reflexes. The Monroes seem to ride just fine,the shock bodies are larger than OEM so it probably has better dampening capabilities. They also came with all new hardware.
    2000 Imperial Jade Mica Tundra SR5 V8 4WD - sold to my dad
    2002 Thundercloud Sport Edition 4Runner - my "new" Toyota truck

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by froknoy8
    What custom coils did you install? Was your SQ 4WD? I have a 2WD and thought about installing 4WD coils in there along with Bilstein HD.

Thanks.

I had Coil Spring Specialtists out of Kansas City build some for me. They are rated for 200Lbs of extra cargo and a 2 inch lift. Replaced the OEM ones w/ a 1.5 inch spacer.

I've got the stock coils (i have a 4wd limited w/ 3rd row) with 20k miles on them,spacers too. Make me an offer on them if you're interested.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by dfunk
    I had Coil Spring Specialtists out of Kansas City build some for me. They are rated for 200Lbs of extra cargo and a 2 inch lift. Replaced the OEM ones w/ a 1.5 inch spacer.

I've got the stock coils (i have a 4wd limited w/ 3rd row) with 20k miles on them,spacers too. Make me an offer on them if you're interested.

Thanks, a bunch of questions though, before I'm interested...

Will a rear coil from a 2004 4WD fit a 2002 2WD?
    Do you know if a 4WD coil has a greater load capacity compared to a 2WD and how much is the lift difference between the two?

The reason that I asked these questions is that my SQ sags at the rear when pretty much loaded....i have raised the front 2.5 and the rear 1.0 thus probably the reason for the sag. I need to raise the rear through coils or/and spacer.

Thanks in advance.
    2002 SEQUOIA SR5
    2.0 SAW WITH TC UPPERS
    LT285/75/16 BFG'S on 16X8 JAOS VICTRON EXCEL II
    2.5 INCHES DOWNEY REAR COILS
    JBA HEADERS WITH MAGNAFLOW MUFFLERS
    TRUE FLOW AIR INTAKE KIT

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Thanks for the tip. This is exactly what I did. First timer doing a shock replacement project. It took me about 4 hrs for both side! The top bolts were rusted beyond belief. I wonder who is the smart engineer who design this. I barely can reach the the top bolts because of small clearances.

I got Bilstein HD as replacements. Someone please tell me that this shocks will last a long time. My arms feel like jello now, and I think I am going to ice them again....:cry:

Quote Originally Posted by Stooge View Post
    Thanks
    Chris

01 Sequoia and 95 Avalon.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Awesome suggestion!! Worked like a charm with some penetrant oil applied in advance. I also want to add that once you get it loosened, you can remove the pipe wrench from the shock and just keep turning with your hand with the box wrench braced to quickly loosen the nut from the stud and completely remove the shock.

Thanks again!!

Liked
    2 times

Thumbs up Re: Changing Rear Sequoia Shocks

TIP Just changed my rear shocks with Monroe Senstracs in less than an hour. The key is one word GEARWRENCH. Make sure you have 17mm, 21mm, 22mm. Good idea to cover 17mm to 24mm. These are indispensible with the short turn access to the top nut.

Also, put the shocks on the bottom mount while they are still tied with the strap. Put the under frame bushings on, line up the shock and then cut the tie. You may have to convince the shock onto the bottom mount with a 3lb tweaker.

Good Luck

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

Well.. I've tried the above suggestions and so far no luck. Sorry to pull this thread out after so long, but I thought it was better than starting a new one.

My '02 has 166,000 miles on it with the original shocks. I think I have two problems. One is that the nut is fairly corroded onto the top bolt of the shock, and two, I think the washers that fit under the bushings have potentially corroded to the body. When I've tried using a pipe wrench on the upper shock cover it moves just a little bit and then spirings back almost like a rubber bushing is pulling it back(strange description I realize). I've put Liquid Wrench on the nuts three times in the past week, and tried loosening the nuts again last night. The bottom bolts were no problem, but, I am worried I may be starting to strip the top nuts.

Is there any way to cut those top bolts off with a torch? Any other tools that might help? I've got a 17mm gearwrench on the nut against the frame and a piperwrench for turning.

Thanks.

Liked
    2 times

If I understand, you are trying to turn the shock? That won't get you anywhere. I would suggest using Freeze Off. It is like PB break, but it freezes the nut and breaks rust.

As for loosening, there is a metal tip that is part of the shock that extends beyond the nut. I think it is square. You need to put a crescent or small wrench on that to hold it still, then turn the nut with the proper gearwrench. I bet that will do it. Good Luck!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.