Seq 4x4 a true locking differential?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Seq 4x4 a true locking differential?

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Seq 4x4 a true locking differential?

the sales guy told me all four wheels are locked when you push the 4x4 button. This surprised me b/c the only style i ever see is limited slip 4x4, not true locking. I believe jeep has a true locker, but few others.

does anyone know for sure?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Seq 4x4 a true locking differential?

Quote Originally Posted by tealboy
    the sales guy told me all four wheels are locked when you push the 4x4 button. This surprised me b/c the only style i ever see is limited slip 4x4, not true locking. I believe jeep has a true locker, but few others.

does anyone know for sure?
    It depends on the model year and which button you have pushed.

On '01-'03 (I think) models you had an open differential when in 4-high. When you pushed the lever into 4-low, the center differential locked up...represented by the green dot in the center of the little indicator lighting up on the dash. This is how my '01 operates

On '04 and newer models I believe you have three options. 4-high unlocked for road applications, 4-high locked by using an additional button my '01 doesn't have, and 4-low which I believe locks up by default.

I may be off on what model year the locking diff in 4-high became available.

Liked
    2 times
    Images

The Sequoia's have OPEN diff's front and rear (unless somebody changed them aftermarket) The center diff has a seperate option to lock or be able run it open for fulltime AWD mode. Sequoia use TRACS to modulate brakes to stop the spinning wheel and apply torque to the other. Sorry no locker for you if stock.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate
    It depends on the model year and which button you have pushed.

On '01-'03 (I think) models you had an open differential when in 4-high. When you pushed the lever into 4-low, the center differential locked up...represented by the green dot in the center of the little indicator lighting up on the dash. This is how my '01 operates

On '04 and newer models I believe you have three options. 4-high unlocked for road applications, 4-high locked by using an additional button my '01 doesn't have, and 4-low which I believe locks up by default.

I may be off on what model year the locking diff in 4-high became available.

I have an 04 and I'm in the same boat as your 01-03 description

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by dfunk
    I have an 04 and I'm in the same boat as your 01-03 description
    I have an '04, it has the center diff lock button. The F/R diffs are open/open.

The button looks something like this:

\---\
    ...|
    ...X
    ...|
    |---|

(Ignore the dots, i'm not great at ascii art)

Banned
    Liked
    0 times

I think we need to see some used differential pics. of your 4x4 so that we could easily get some idea on true locker of it. I'll wait for it.
    Last edited by kenbarls; 03-10-2011 at 04:44 PM.

Liked
    83 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AnywhereAT View Post
    I have an '04, it has the center diff lock button. The F/R diffs are open/open.

The button looks something like this:

\---\
    ...|
    ...X
    ...|
    |---|

(Ignore the dots, i'm not great at ascii art)
    My '05 has that button too. Open front and rear diffs.

Does TRAC work on the front axle too?
    Linked by ProPride 3P 1400, stopped by Prodigy, guided by Garmin nüvi 1490 LMT.

Liked
    2 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JD and Beastlet View Post
    My '05 has that button too. Open front and rear diffs.

Does TRAC work on the front axle too?
    Yes.....

The TRAC works on all 4 wheels by applying the brakes to the spinning wheel in an attempt to transfer torque to the opposite wheel. In most "normal" use scenarios it works well. Really icy, snowy, muddy situations and if your tires aren't real good and goop up easy, not so much.

Part of that reason is that with the TRAC/ESC it also limits your throttle to try and let the wheels gain grip. One of Tireracks snow tire tests was on best grip/acceleration. Most of the snow tires showed optimal grip for starting/clearing snow was at 45% slip (spin) but the electronic systems limit that to about 8%. That's whey they have the "OFF" button so when you need wheel spin to clear tread it will let you......except that it wil also eliminate your traction control and now you have open differentials with one wheel spinning on front and rear.

Electronics are good but sometimes you definitely want the mechanical if you plan to be offroad or in poor traction conditions often.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.