AC Light Flashing 2001 Sequoia

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AC Light Flashing 2001 Sequoia

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default AC Light Flashing 2001 Sequoia

Hi all,
    I have a 2001 Toyota Sequoia (v8) and just the other day, out of nowhere. the AC button light started to flash after trying to turn the AC on. Ive never had any problems with it prior to this. I've tried to turn it back on a few times and it starts to flash right away, so I just leave it alone. What could this mean? I've seen some mentions of TSB's or something about a Magnetic Relay Switch ? The owners manual says to take it to the dealer, but we all know that is usually a last resort. Anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    3 times

Default Re: AC Light Flashing 2001 Sequoia

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but it's not good. Don't shoot the messenger, ok???

Do you have an extended warranty?

This is something I have been dreading myself, in all honesty, but I've been lucky so far.

You've got an '01 (so do I) and Toyota had some problems with the A/C units in the first few model years of the Tundra/Seq.

Best case....there is something small wrong with the AC system and it is shutting down, hence the flashing light telling you that there is a problem.

Worst case, your compressor just grenaded and you're in for a pricey repair.

Basic problem was that the compressor/feed lines to the compressor are undersized in the early years, and the compressors will eventually grenade themselves from lack of lubrication...at least that's my understanding. There are several TSBs out there, for upgrading the oil lines, several compressor upgrades before they got it right, etc.

Long of the short, when the compressor grenades, it contaminates the entire AC system (front and rear units, all the lines are full of ****, etc) and the light will flash. It's a several (2-$3,000) repair at the dealer to get a new compressor installed, all the buried AC lines behind the dash and in the rear of the truck cleaned out, etc.

DO a search here on the board for A/C Compressor and see what you find. Or, just scroll down the first couple pages of the Sequoia forum, there is at least one thread going I saw a couple weeks back.

Several people have gone to Toyota Corporate and screamed bloody hell and gotten some $$ relief on the repair bill because this is becoming a KNOWN issue with the early trucks (all the way into 2003, I think)......I think someone got away with only paying about $400, if I remember right.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Ben
    2007 Sequoia 4WD Limited
    2013 Ram 3500 MegaCab 6.7 Cummins Diesel 4WD
    2013 Sienna XLE AWD

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I guess my only option is to take it to the dealer (or somewhere) to at least get looked at to determine the problem

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Actually while im at it, what are the TSB's of some of the 2001 Sequoia problems? My dad is a used car dealer and has a bunch of connections, but apparently Toyota wont really fess up to anything unless you have details. I also play softball with some guys that work at Toyota dealer. let me know, so I can get it all fixed. Thanks !

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Is there a listing of all the 2001 Sequoia TSB's? My dad is a used car dealer and has lots of connections and I also know some guys at the Toyota dealership. If theres a few I should know about, please let me know.. thanks all! great forums

Liked
    0 times

If you're a paying member of TundraSolutions, all the TSBs are available here. Not sure if there's a freebee site anywhere.

The dealer, of course, will have a complete set.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

oh.. unfortunately I am not. kinda weird that youd have to pay for something like that huh? seems like it would be public so owners can know :shrugs:

Liked
    3 times

There's a slew of TSBs for the '01 Tundras/Sequoias, but Toyota won't foot the bill unless the truck is under warranty and you complain about it. This as opposed to a "recall" where they foot the bill whether it's under warranty or not.

Let us know how your A/C ends up coming out, ok?

Cheers!

Ben
    2007 Sequoia 4WD Limited
    2013 Sienna XLE AWD

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Hey Ben!
    well i called Toyota, and im taking it in on Tuesday.. i bought the truck used some months back, not under any warranty that I know of. Could be in for some trouble No way they'll do anything as far as helping with the bill? Im also wondering what other problems I should ask about. I've always disliked the brakes in the car, the car doesnt stop very well.. i just figured its huge and thats what happens.

Liked
    3 times

Let us know what the AC problem is.

If it is the compressor, FIGHT them to get some mercy even if you bought this truck used, Toyota Corporate knows of the inherent problems in the AC system in these trucks and has helped others on this board with repair costs. The TSBs are on this board, you can print them off (if you're a paying subscriber) and take them to the dealership.....also do a search on the AC issue, there is a poll on this issue within the first couple pages in the Sequoia forum.

There is a TSB for the front brakes, regarding rotor warpage......essentially, the calipers on the early trucks were a bit small for heavy usage, and the TSB entails putting Land Cruiser calipers and pads on the front of the truck. I cannot remember what year ('03?) this change made it into new production......?? At any rate, the TSB is very expensive to have done, and I think I'd recommend just putting a more aggressive brake pad on the front of the truck, have the brake fluid flushed & bled (better pedal feel) and see how you like it. The pads will make a HUGE difference.......

My front brakes are nearing the end of their life at 65,000 miles right now, original (non TSB) small caliper design, and I'm just going to put a set of Hawk HPS (increased friction over stock) pads on the truck this summer. I could care less about the amount of brake dust, but some added stopping power would be nice

Let us know how things work out.

Ben
    2007 Sequoia 4WD Limited
    2013 Sienna XLE AWD

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

My dad (used car salesmen) took it to one of his guys.. the guy said the compressor is dead. not what I wanted to hear he said the part is about $1500.. dad said he'd talk to him about getting Toyota to do something

Liked
    3 times

Yep, that sounds about right, there is a bunch of labor to do the job properly, because at this point, there is unknown crud/metal shavings blown throughout the front and rear A/C lines, and you dont want to put a brand new compressor in it, just to have it suck a bunch of crud into it and destroy itself.

So yes, new compressor is in order, as well as a thorough cleaning of the A/C lines, and possibly an UPGRADE to the front A/C lubrication lines, to prevent it from happening again.

Ben
    2007 Sequoia 4WD Limited
    2013 Sienna XLE AWD

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

any chance that the metal/crud DIDNT get into the lines?

Liked
    3 times

Ask Victor, he might be able to give you a yes/no answer as far as line contamination. He's here on the board..........Mustang67408 is his ID.

If I had to guess, I'd say that there IS a good chance of contamination, and it's not worth risking a brand new $1500 compressor to save a couple hundred $$ in labor.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, again.....

Ben
    2007 Sequoia 4WD Limited
    2013 Sienna XLE AWD

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

They're going to pay for half the parts and do labor for $100 instead of $120 i guess. Probably because my dad knows the guy. It'll still cost around $1500 for the whoel job though, they're going to replace all the lines, etc. Hopefully it'll get done this week.

on a side note, the heater isnt working as well as it seemed to before. Would the A/C make any difference with that?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.