Another VSC, ABS light victim - '02 Sequoia

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another VSC, ABS light victim - '02 Sequoia

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Another VSC, ABS light victim - '02 Sequoia

Greetings,
    New to site & looking for HELP.

Recently had VSC trac, VSC off, Brake and ABS lights all come on & stay on. Lights turned off when stopped and restarted engine only to quickly return. Took SUV to dealer who pulled codes C1223 & C1241?

Dealer changed battery and off I went. You guessed it - lights back on before I even made it home "Second look" & dealer now suggests new VSC computer for ONLY $2100. I bailed & told'em I had to research this whole deal before I had any more work done at their facility.
    NEXT MOVE? Please advise.

-KrakerJack

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Assistant Administrator nhparrot's Avatar
    Liked
    19 times

Default Re: Another VSC, ABS light victim - '02 Sequoia

C1223 / 43 ABS control system is abnormal.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ~Glenn
    Yes I am a pirate!

"To err is human. To arrr is pirate."

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Glenn,

Thanks for the quick response. I'll give it a look this morning.

KrakerJack

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Glenn,

Had codes pulled this morning @ point of purchase dealer.

Again, C1223 & C1241. Additionally, C1231 - Steering angle sensor?

Now the kicker - dealer wants to charge me $90.00/hour to "check the electrical system" and won't give me an estimate of time or flat fee to do so. What do you think?

Second question, had ball joint campaign and 4 wheel brake job done earlier this year. Could they have messed it up then?

-KrakerJack

Assistant Administrator nhparrot's Avatar
    Liked
    19 times

C1231 - Data is not transmitted to the steering angle sensor for a
    fixed time.

I would have someone knowledgeable with Toyota Diagnostics follow the steps to check and isolate the root cause triggering the problems. On my dime though I would time box them so they don't run up huge $$ with no results.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ~Glenn
    Yes I am a pirate!

"To err is human. To arrr is pirate."

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I had the exact same problem recently occur with my '03 Sequoia. I have about 40k miles so it's outta warranty. I have a friend who has an '01 and had same problem. He took it into the dealer and the dealer could not accurately diagnosis the problem nor could the dealer figure out how to turn the 3 lights off. He has been driving w/the lights on for over a year and no issues.

It appears from searching the web this is a common problem in toyota vehicles.

I too am still searching for a solution, albeit a reasonable one and not a new VSC chip for $2100 as having these lights on only appears to be an annoyance problem w/no mechanical impact.

Matt

Liked
    2 times

The easy trick that some people try is to top off the brake fluid....sometimes low fluid level will trigger the lights.

Lots of times on these trucks, it's a faulty brake booster switch. Brake booster switch in these early year Sequoias is prone to be faulty.......the only way to replace the switch is to replace the whole brake booster, then the VSC system needs to be recalibrated.....total cost is $1500+ The VSC computer also can fail, and it's not cheap, either.

When the lights are lit, I believe that the VSC/TRAC system (maybe ABS too, I'm not sure) is disabled......if you live in So Cal, maybe its not a big deal. In a snowy January in Michigan, you'll notice it Be careful.

I cant remember the codes exactly, you can jump the pins a certain way in the plug under the dash and count the flashes...........do a search for VSC TRAC lights and you'll find lots of threads with the info.....sounds like the '03 was diagnosed with the VSC computer, and the guy with the 01 might very well have a faulty booster sensor.

Ben
    2007 Sequoia 4WD Limited
    2013 Ram 3500 MegaCab 6.7 Cummins Diesel 4WD
    2013 Sienna XLE AWD

Liked
    0 times

I had a similar problem, and they ended up replacing the VSC computer...that fixed everything...

Check out this thread: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...?highlight=VSC

or do an advanced search for vsc - dmalas.

Luckily I purchased an extended warranty, and they covered it with the deductible of course.

I haven't had any problems with it again...yet...(hurry where's some wood).

Good luck...

--Daryl

Liked
    0 times

Angry Re: Another VSC, ABS light victim - '02 Sequoia

I have a 2002 Sequoia 4x4 with 45,500 miles on it and yesterday the VSC trac/ VSC off, ABS, Brake lighs come on. I had all the updates done to this vehicle through my local Toyota dealer and no problems with the vehicle until now. I regret not buying the extended warranty but I figured it's a Toyota and not a Ford. It appears that this is a common problem for Sequoia model years 2003 and under. I wonder if the larger brake caliper install done on my Sequoia somehow caused problems with computer/sensors. Does anyone know if they upgraded the sensors when they upgraded the brake calipers? I think Toyota should cover this repair because it is a safety defect. I will call NHTSA (www.nhtsa.gov) and see what they can do for me and other Sequoia owners with the same problem.

Liked
    0 times

Good question (re: Brake Calipers)...I did not have my brake calipers replaced...was that a TSB for the '02 year? One interesting thing...you got me thinking about...I think I had the recall work done prior to the failure. It makes you wonder if they are related, but so many others had the recall work done and no problems reported with the VSC computer. It might just be a random problem....Since the VSC is a safety enhancement, I wonder if it would be considered a safety risk.

Good luck...let us know how it goes...

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Last week the VCS/ABS/Brake lights all came on and stayed on. Took it to a dealer and they ran the codes C1363 is what came up. Brake Booster A is the part they tell me...$1300.00 for parts and labor.

Question: Do I really need to have this done? Is there any safety risk? Could it be something else? Can I just add brake fluid, or disconnect my battery cables and reconnect them?

I just don't have $1300.00 to drop on this vehicle right now. Any help, answers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tom

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I have an '01 Sequoia w/ the same problem. It's actually happened twice. The first time was about 2 years ago (85k miles). I did some research and found suggestions to top off the brake fluid. It worked and the lights stayed off for about a year. Then just recently they came on again. I tried topping off the fluid to no avail

My guess is it is the brake booster switch. I'll probably look into a used unit at a local u-pull-it yard.

Mark

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

KrakerJack,

I am in the midst of a very similar situation with my 02 Sequoia. Got any advice on this?

Thanks.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Had the steering angle sensor go out 3 months ago + $700.00. Now the ABS computer is gone, they now want $1300 more.
    2000 Black Ltd. TRD 4x4 Access Cab
    Donahoe Coilovers/Camburg Arms, 5100's rear, Hellwig, Dual Exhaust W/50 Flowmaster,, TC Rack Bushings,TC 1" Diff Drop, 265/75/16 Revo's, Pro Comp Alloys/Black, Westin Platinum Series Nerf Bars/Black, ARE Lid, Stock leather & burlwood dash, '05 tail lights
    2003 Phantom Gray Sequoia Ltd 4x2 (stock)

Liked
    0 times

Angry Re: Another VSC, ABS light victim - '02 Sequoia

I finally took my 2002 Seq 4x4 in to the dealer today and it will cost me $1900 to replace the VSC computer. My options are to repair it or live with it. Luckily, I have a company car that I use daily for work so no pressing need to get it repaired anytime soon. Where's the VSC computer located and has anyone price a new versus a used one? I am seriously thinking in selling my Seq before another computer goes out. I read the ABS files that NHParrot posted and it looks like there's no VSC computer but it's integrated or part of the ECU. Please correct me if I am wrong.

By the way, my dealer said they could not pull any codes off the VSC computer and that the unit is dead. Does that sound right? It looks like that most here that have the same problem were able to have codes pulled from the VSC computer.
    Last edited by bejaar; 10-18-2006 at 08:05 PM. Reason: corrections

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.