01 Sequoia Antenna Replacement

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: 01 Sequoia Antenna Replacement

Liked
    0 times

Question 01 Sequoia Antenna Replacement

Honestly, I've searched and read through every blog I could find regarding antenna's but did not find a single one that said how to get to the power antenna motor. Many helpful blogs talk about mast replacement, but I believe my antenna motor must have a small piece of the masts white plastic gear stuck in it as I cannot get it to completely extend or retract - plus, the end of the plastic gear looks to be broken. Can anyone help? Thanks...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Ray
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: 01 Sequoia Antenna Replacement

I did mine early January this year. I have to remove and disassembly the antenna motor because a piece of the mast antenna was left inside. It is easy, I didn't remove my tires as other people suggest. If I can find the print out and or link I'll post it.

Liked
    9 times

This is what I used when I needed to replace/fix mine.
    (I searched the Audio/ Electrical section)
    But these directions should help.

Take the top nut off the antenna then have someone turn on the radio. The entire mast should just start coming out like a snake.
    That top nut on the fender actually keeps the antenna in place. After you get the entire antenna mast out, compare it to the new one to make all the parts came with it. Remember which way the teeth were facing when the old one came out as you will need to do the same. With the radio still on, feed the plastic cable into the tube. When it stops, have someone turn off the radio because you will have to guide the new mast into place. It may take a few times but it's pretty easy. If the antenna is not all the way down on the first try, turn the radio back on and redo the process. After it is all the way down, reinstall the top nut on the fender and you will have a new mast installed
    2001 Sequoia 2WD SR5
    Mods:20s wrapped w/ 295/45/20
    Borla Dual Side Exit Cat Back Exhaust
    JBA Headers
    Bilstein Shocks 4 sides
    OEM Foglights Install
    TRD Drop-In Filter

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Ray, I could not find how to get to the antenna motor. Is there any way you could print or explain those instructions. Thanks Todd

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Ray,
    I'm going through the same thing...can you post the instructions on how to replace the motor?
    Thanks in advance...

Ray
    Liked
    0 times

I'm so busy and didn't have time to work on this, but I will try this weekend to post pictures and step by step procedure to access and remove the power antenna.

Ray
    Liked
    0 times

Attach is quick write up for removing the power antenna on 01 Seq. Hope this will help. Pardon my dirty Sequoia.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Ray,
    Thanks for the post. It seems pretty straightforward. I'll give it a shot this week...again, thanks.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the info, I tried it and other than the inner fender panel being a bit of a pain, I was able to get the broken piece of plastic out of the motor and all is good. Total time about an hour and four broken clips.

Thanks again, Tony

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

This was a nice post. And as you can see its still helping owners years down the road. Thanks you. I wanted to add my experience. I had to replace the entire unit and got stuck because the antenna connection back to the radio was a big gotcha. If you have to replace everything like me then I wanted to add my .02 in hopes it helps the next person. After doing all noted above. I also had to remove my glove box ( 2 screws bottom of box). Remove a black cover behind the glove box ( 3 screws). This allowed me access to the clips holding the antenna. The worst part was trying to access the cable as it came through the firewall under fender. I had to remove the traction control unit and cover panel by the passengers legs. After that I was able to tie a shoe lace to the old antenna cable and pull it down to the firewall. After pulling out old unit and putting in new I then retied the new antenna to shoe lace and pulled it back into place. there is also a power clip to the right behind a bundle of wires. I disconnected this and then reconnected with new one. Then put it all back together. Last piece of advice. If the antenna is down. It is easier and cheaper to just replace the antenna with a after market window mount unit. Anyway hope it helps..