Sand Bags For Winter Driving

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sand Bags For Winter Driving

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Sand Bags For Winter Driving

This is my first winter with the Tundra. Has anyone had experience putting sand bags in the back? Does it make a difference? How much weight should I use?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

i usually pick up 6 big rig wheels, they weigh quite a bit. it helps quite a bit, just make sure you have good tires, i love my bfg all terrains in the snow. just drive slow

wes

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by cedarwinds2003
    This is my first winter with the Tundra. Has anyone had experience putting sand bags in the back? Does it make a difference? How much weight should I use?
    Sorry can't help you. If you have a LSD you probably will not need em. I live in the hilly part of Nebraska and have no problem starting on hills with my LSD. Good luck.
    2003 Tundra 4x4 Access cab V-8, SR5, Silver Sky Metallic, TRD Off-Road package, Tow package, LSD, cold weather prep. package, Running boards, Convienence Package, Line-X bedliner, debadged, 4 window visors, Blue Cyber Eyes, $5 rs3200 upgrade , Fog light mod.

2005 Sienna LE 8 PAX, White, Full Curtain airbags, Tow prep package, VSC, Rear Disk brakes, rear audio, aftermarket entertainment center(will be bought soon)

I'm a proud Toyota Bigot!!!
    Midwesterners checkout the midwest forum!Click here

Liked
    5 times

I carry two 5-gallon plastic buckets full of sand if I'll be driving on snow or ice. I secured the lids with duct tape and put the buckets over the rear axle on each side. I also carry tire chains and a shovel, but have not had to use them yet.

~MS

~~MustangSally~~

2001 Tundra Limited TRD 4x4
    Imperial Jade Mica/Thunder Gray Metallic

Assistant Administrator nhparrot's Avatar
    Liked
    19 times

During the winter I load the bed with 6 sand-tubes over the axle.
    ~Glenn
    Yes I am a pirate!

"To err is human. To arrr is pirate."

Liked
    0 times

If you use sand bags, try to place them on a piece of plywood. This way they will freeze to the wood and will be easier to remove if needed. I use to fill 2, 50lb grain bags half way with sand and place them over the axel on my F150 and on my 2wd Tundra. I avoided situations where I could get stuck and for the most part I never got into a bad situation on snow and or ice.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

The really important issue here is not to create a potential deadly projectile in the event of a quick stop (as in accident). There is only one thin layer of metal / glass between you and the great outdoors!

Sand sealed to stay dry (will fly apart on impact w/ the truck cab) if the worst happens, safer for you and passengers.

I've not needed any extra weight at all in my 03 4x4 - quite a surprise actually.

Dedicated winter tires are a real eye opener in terms of added safety and performance.

P

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

I had 5 sandbags at 70lbs each

Liked
    0 times

starting with my last truck, and now with my Tundra. I like keeping around 100, or so lbs in the bed year round...rides better!

if it ever snows here in LA....im ready!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.